2014-15 NBA season (or, will the Sixers go 0-82?)

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
The Bulls have no chance of winning the Finals. Slim chance of getting there. They're too inconsistent this year to make a really deep push.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Oh so Love is back with the Cavs?

Even if the Bulls make it past the Cavs (which will be no easy task), they still have to win another tough series to make it to the Finals.

And then to beat Golden State or another strong Western Conference team in the Finals... I just don't see it.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Even if the Bulls make it past the Cavs (which will be no easy task), they still have to win another tough series to make it to the Finals.

And then to beat Golden State or another strong Western Conference team in the Finals... I just don't see it.
You think Golden State are playoff seasoned enough to win the championship?

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Some damn fine basketball this round. The Clippers look like they're going to knock the Rockets out without much trouble- Austin Rivers POWER, I guess. Clips/Warriors in the West final should be a good series, those two offenses.

Holy shit, that shot by LeBron. Wow. And he called the play, of course, overruled Blatt's original call.

edit: Holy shit, also, for Paul Pierce. Truth is still the man. Wiz gonna win that series.

And of course, DeAndre Jordan went 14 of 34 on free throws, with 28 attempts in the first half alone.

Last edited:

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
Instead of making DeAndre practice his god damn free throw shooting, they're going to make a new rule to eliminate hack-a-someone. Sad.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
looks like Wall is going to sit out the rest of the playoffs.

"Guys, I spoke with a Wizards executive earlier today, and while it's not official, I was given the impression that it's highly unlikely John Wall returns for this series, or even the postseason," ESPN's Chris Broussard said before Saturday's game. "They told me they are looking 10 years down the road, not the next game, not even the next series. If there's any chance of him further injuring himself, they will hold him out."

Some people may think that this is good management, but look at how that same thinking worked out for Gilbert Arenas, Penny Hardaway, or Tracey McGrady, who were iced for the rest of the season because of a fictitious 10 year plan.

Teams need to seize the moment.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Hey, the Pelicans fired Monty Williams. That's a guy I'd much rather see Denver hire than Scott Brooks.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Instead of making DeAndre practice his god damn free throw shooting, they're going to make a new rule to eliminate hack-a-someone. Sad.

Two shots and the ball is what Reggie and Marv were suggesting last night. That seems like overkill to me, though. I agree that changing the rule is stupid, but if they're dead set on doing something, I'd give the team the choice of FTs or the ball out (both is too much).

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Okay then. Them Cavs gon' be tough to beat. In the East, at least. I like Cleveland over Washington in 5.

Also, I hope Clips/Rockets game 7 features at least 50 FT attempts from DeAndre and Dwight.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I don't think you should take the Wiz in the ECF for granted. They're down 3-2.

I know, but my faith in the Hawks is, shall we say, nonexistent. Horford did look pretty fantastic the other night, I'll admit.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I know, but my faith in the Hawks is, shall we say, nonexistent. Horford did look pretty fantastic the other night, I'll admit.

It's less confidence in the Hawks and more the fact that the Wiz's best player is one errant hand-check away from being done and they have to win a Game 7 on the road.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Interesting how good the Hawks play has been leading up to the sale of the team. Their shooting has been legitimately good. But if I was the owner, I wouldn't take that into account. This is a team that still exists in Atlanta, and market size is a huge deal. The Knicks, for example, suck, but they are the second highest revenue generating team behind the lakers.

That said, I think that the valuation numbers for Atlanta are inflated.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Damn good series between the Rockets and the Clippers. I'm sort of torn when the Rockets play- I applaud the devotion to smart basketball (corner threes and FTs), and I usually like watching Harden play, but it can be boring as hell to see Harden draw cheap fouls on every play and to watch Dwight brick his own FTs.

I don't think they have a chance against the Warriors.

East should be interesting, too- Atlanta is very well built and well-coached. From top to bottom, on paper, at least, they have the better team. But LeBron and Kyrie seem too tough, and Atlanta isn't playing its best basketball.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Out of the 4 teams remaining, I am pulling for every team except the Rockets. That's because Howard is a pussy, who quit on Orlando and LA. The guy doesn't deserve a title. Harden is great, and he can get the championship next year, when Howard is somewhere else bitching.

Otherwise, it's great for small market teams that 3 of the 4 teams have never won jack shit. Freshness.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
There's a fun tidbit I can't find (from Grantland?), but I'll try to construct the list. Of the past 30 years, every NBA championship team has had one of 11 different players on it.

Duncan, Wade, Jordan, Nowitzki, Garnett, Magic, Bird, Isiah, Hakeem, Kobe, (and pick your 2004 Piston - Wallace or Billups)

I think that's right. Hopefully you get the idea. I believe Kobe and Wade account for those championships where you may think to name Shaq or LeBron.

Anyway, a lot of those guys have multiple wins on that list. If you look at the players currently in the playoffs that could "own" a championship on that list, and what it could mean for the next several years for whatever team they decide to play on, what does the future of NBA championships look like? LeBron is a champion and he's in Cleveland for a while. What if Curry or Harden win this early in their careers (6th year)? Will we expect to see them on that list for at least another title? What players will they draw to their city? Do you think the Hawks look most like and offensive standout (the anti-2k4Pistons) or will a win by them turn the tide towards a stronger east where they will be the main attraction for proven talent?

Edit: Here's another fun one from ESPN

THE SHAQ EFFECT
Thirty-one consecutive NBA champs have had a player who played with Shaquille O'Neal. Looking ahead, the Cavs have three former Shaq teammates (LeBron James, Kendrick Perkins and the injured Anderson Varejao) while Leandro Barbosa is on the Warriors.

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Holy hell I thought Steph Curry was dead. Sort of nuts that he came back in, not getting a concussion on that fall is a minor miracle.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Holy cow the Pelicans hired Alvin Gentry (he's a good choice, don't get me wrong). I thought Thibs would be a lock to go there, given how he could use Davis on defense.

THIBS TO DENVER!! C'mon, pay the man.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Holy cow the Pelicans hired Alvin Gentry (he's a good choice, don't get me wrong). I thought Thibs would be a lock to go there, given how he could use Davis on defense.

THIBS TO DENVER!! C'mon, pay the man.

You sure about that? Around last season I felt that Thibodeau was a weaker version of Randy Whitman.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
You sure about that? Around last season I felt that Thibodeau was a weaker version of Randy Whitman.

Don't insult Thibs that way. ;) If I were the Wiz, I'd use the torn-up shreds of Randy's contract as packing material to send Thibs gifts.

Honestly, I think he would make an incredible college coach. Seems like he wore out his welcome in Chicago because while guys will run through a wall for him, they eventually tune him out. Since most college "student-athletes" don't last more than two years any more, they would never get an opportunity to get sick of him.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I don't rate Whitman highly, but head to head when it counted, Whitman has out coached Thibodeau. The Number of head coaches that are worth the money is incredibly small. And those guys aren't going to leave their current spots. That much is obvious. I think that recruiting a college coach is typically riskier than a nba assistant coach, because of the control disparity between college coaching and professional coaching. It might only work in very young teams where egos aren't established.