• No

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 8 16.3%

• Total voters

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Meh, skeptically excited, the Han and Chewie bit was lame. The wrecked star destoyer looked neat, but is there anything in that scene besides "HEY LOOK A STAR DESTROYER, I KNOW THAT THING!"?

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Yes, I will go see it. I'll go with my Dad as he's seen every Star Wars movie with me except the first one. I though Episode 1 and 3 were good.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The wrecked star destoyer looked neat, but is there anything in that scene besides "HEY LOOK A STAR DESTROYER, I KNOW THAT THING!"?
no

edit: no, wait, there's also a wrecked X-Wing in that same shot and I know that thing, too.

Last edited:

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Anyone look up the spoilers/rumors?

If half of them are true, its gonna be a darker movie on par with Empire Strikes Back.

Also, good use of fx, not everything looks to be CGI. Storm troopers look bad ass. Also black tie fighters, maybe a special squadron. Looks to be a modified tie fighter as well in one of the shots, either a drone or maybe the sith's tie, but it is attacking the imperials. Tie pilot in the end had red highlights... I'm thinking it's an ace squadron or something in this movie.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
there is no emoticon that can express the amount of meh and indifference i feel.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
there is no emoticon that can express the amount of meh and indifference i feel.

In general or do you mean for this movie? I thought it actually looks cool and DO want to see it. Will it be good? Not sure... but I wanna watch anyhow.

lithy

20 Year Member
no

edit: no, wait, there's also a wrecked X-Wing in that same shot and I know that thing, too.

Yeah and a land speeder. Three things I know. OMG I'm so excited times three.

I guess I just don't get it, how can people be so unreservedly excited? The same people that lived through the release of eps 1-3? The same people spending countless hours of their life doing fan edits of the original trilogy to fix all of the Special Editions and Lucas 'retconning' changes. Something about those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it I guess.

The one phrase that sticks in my mind from the Red Letter Media reviews was something like "the biggest case of cinematic blue balls ever". Like I said, I'm somewhat excited but these teasers are just pretty fan service shots and didn't we have plenty of that leading up to episode 1? The prequels problems were never that they weren't pretty. So far we know Episode 7 will be pretty and apparently the reaction from the internet at large is that that fact alone is worth several "I crapped/creamed my pants" posts by itself.

Hey Kid, is this cantankerous crotchetyness what it'll be like all the time when I'm old?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Yeah and a land speeder. Three things I know. OMG I'm so excited times three.

I guess I just don't get it, how can people be so unreservedly excited? The same people that lived through the release of eps 1-3? The same people spending countless hours of their life doing fan edits of the original trilogy to fix all of the Special Editions and Lucas 'retconning' changes. Something about those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it I guess.

The one phrase that sticks in my mind from the Red Letter Media reviews was something like "the biggest case of cinematic blue balls ever". Like I said, I'm somewhat excited but these teasers are just pretty fan service shots and didn't we have plenty of that leading up to episode 1? The prequels problems were never that they weren't pretty. So far we know Episode 7 will be pretty and apparently the reaction from the internet at large is that that fact alone is worth several "I crapped/creamed my pants" posts by itself.

Hey Kid, is this cantankerous crotchetyness what it'll be like all the time when I'm old?

Why am I excited? A few reasons I guess.

A. I choose to be...at 37, not much geeks me out anymore and I miss this feeling. I felt this in 1999 for Episode 1. If I've learned anything in this life, it's that anticipation of something exciting is often better than the event itself. Christmas, the new Final Fantasy game, that next gen console, a trip to Six Flags...those feelings I used to have. That excitement. It doesn't happen much anymore so when I have a chance, I go for it.

B. Disney + J.J Abrams. This isn't Lucas and his money CG jacking off in our faces anymore, this is Disney and they want dat $$. The SW franchise will be flogged and raped to no end outside of these films, I get that. On the other hand, I do not feel they are so stupid as to seriously fuck these up. J.J. Abrams made a rock solid believer out of me with the new Star Trek movies. If you call youself a ST fan and you didn't lie the new films...you're a cynical fuck and not only need to let things go a bit, but need to be more open minded. He rebooted a dead franchise in a spectacular way. If someone's largest complaint is lens-flare, perhaps they're forgetting how monumentally horrible Episode I-III really was.

In the end, the film will be great, good or disappointing. Until then, I'm going to let myself go a bit, let myself get all excited like I used to do when I hear a new Zelda game was coming out. Sitting back all "meh" and be a cynical fuck is just not very fun.

lithy

20 Year Member
Also doesn't the phrase "I have it" sound strange in reference to the Force?

It's not an STD guys.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I thought everyone had the force but only a few knew how to use it.

This is tapping into my "way-back" knowledge base...but what I understood was that the "force" is there...like a cloud. Some can tap into it more than others...and some simply cannot.

The dipshit Midi-chlorians crap was mainly introduced to use in Ep I.

Now...

I guess Lucas brought all of the stupidity in interviews up way back when around the time of the original trilogy...but it was mentioned in passing and contradicted with the words of Yoda in Ep V.

Personally...Lucas seemed to make shit up on the fly as he went along...including the Midi-chlorian crap.

With my viewpoint of the SW universe as a living, changing, fan owned universe, I choose to believe that the force is what Yoda described it as in Ep V. I'm more than happy to completely flush Ep I-III out of my mind.

I guess we'll see how Ep VII deals with it...

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'm interested in seeing it though I'm not overly into star wars. I always felt star wars was just a tad less realistic compared to star trek and I know how that sounds...

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I remain cautiously optimistic.

I can't help but go back to being a kid inside whenever I see new Star Wars movie stuff. Star Wars is the primary reason I am even into any of this geek culture. When I saw it as a child in the theatter in 1977, it changed me forever.

It was like my brain and heart knew it but I was too young to understand that I never wanted to grow up after that point. I always wanted to remain a kid from that point on. I've changed, but the inner child is still strong with this one.

But I also remember the shitshow that was the prequels.

My argument to all the people saying 'REMEMbER THE PREQUELS?' is to say three things:

1.) These aren't the prequels. You don't know whether or not these new movies are going to be any good because you haven't seen them.

2.) Just because the prequels sucked doesn't mean these will suck. Different director, different actors, new story, new ownership.

3.) Remember the classic trilogy? Not all Star Wars is shit.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'm interested in seeing it though I'm not overly into star wars. I always felt star wars was just a tad less realistic compared to star trek and I know how that sounds...

Being a huge SW and ST fan...you are 100% correct.

Star Wars is swashbuckling with some nerd thrown in. Mild character development...silly action, simple plot.
Star Trek is more nerd-gasm and shows like TNG dive deep into character development, science and science fiction.

Prime example, my 6 year old. She love Star Wars...Star Trek...not so much. SW is just easier to digest...

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Yes. One of them even learns to use the force and becomes a jedi!

And George Lucas pulled some serious strings to include him.
His name will be Boki Qwandell, he fights with lightsaber nunchucks and he can talk(!) and also has an adorable yiddish accent.

What a visionary!

Last edited:

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member

ndk1T2r.gif

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
No, episode one is complete shit. Three was okay.
I thought Episode II was worse than the Phantom Menace, for some reason. Episode I at least had some exciting scenes, like the pod race. Some of the acting in Episode II was too contrived. Episode III was easily the best of the three, with some scenes just about matching those in the original series for emotional impact.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I thought Episode II was worse than the Phantom Menace, for some reason. Episode I at least had some exciting scenes, like the pod race. Some of the acting in Episode II was too contrived. Episode III was easily the best of the three, with some scenes just about matching those in the original series for emotional impact.

Possibly a dumb question…but how old were you when you first saw Ep I?

Now that the film is getting older, I hear of guys now in their 20's that saw it when the were <10 years old and their recollection of it is far different than people who were adults at the time. Most seem to think it's at least ok…vs people my age who view it as a complete disaster.

Besides the force fight between Qui Gon/Obi Won and Darth Maul…the entire film is complete shit. The story line is fucking terrible (yay, trade embargo…how entertaining), Jar Jar and the entire Gungan shit is just fucking awful, the pod race scene is ruined by the stupid adolescent humor, dumbfuck writing and the absolutely non existant acting skills of Jake Lloyd is beyond bad. I could go on and on…but the entire film is just a complete disaster. This is a far better approach than listing all the flaws one by one.

It takes one hell of a bad director to make great actors such as Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor and Natalie Portman come across as boring, 2 dimentional cardboard cutouts…but Lucas accomplished it.

Episode II isn't much better…and III is only marginally better than II.

In all, I-III has little redeeming value and is quite possibly one of the largest movie franchise failures as of date. Larger than the cluster fuck that has been the post-T2 Terminator films (and that's saying something)...

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Episode II isn't much better…and III is only marginally better than II.

In all, I-III has little redeeming value and is quite possibly one of the largest movie franchise failures as of date. Larger than the cluster fuck that has been the post-T2 Terminator films (and that's saying something)...
Terminator 3 was OK, but not as good as the previous ones. How was it going to be, without Cameron directing, and without Linda Hamilton?
I didn't say I thought Episode I was that good, just that it had a few good scenes, the pod race, and the fight with Darth Maul.
Even with the original trilogy there were some parts that were not as good as others (especially in Return of the Jedi).

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
I didn't say I thought Episode I was that good, just that it had a few good scenes, the pod race, and the fight with Darth Maul.

Bad enough to close the best pinball division in the world. Just remember that, whether you like pinball or not. Episode I had a huge impact of failure besides the series itself.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
With my viewpoint of the SW universe as a living, changing, fan owned universe, I choose to believe that the force is what Yoda described it as in Ep V. I'm more than happy to completely flush Ep I-III out of my mind.

How can you possibly call it a "fan owned" universe after fans of the original series were forced to watch the the series go to shit, referring to the prequels. Not only that, they had to watch the rape (special editions) of the only 3 good movies of the series.

I'm sure if it was "fan owned" the prequels and special editions would be wiped out of existence, but no... they are reality. No matter how much you want them to go away, they are cannon.

Never forget.

2.) Just because the prequels sucked doesn't mean these will suck. Different director, different actors, new story, new ownership.

3.) Remember the classic trilogy? Not all Star Wars is shit.

Yes, new ownership... Disney.

Yes we do remember the classic trilogy. We also remember what happened to the classical trilogy... special editions. Everything, even the purest entities, in the SW universe has now been tainted with the stink of greed.

Star Wars nerds are like battered women who keep coming back to their abusive boyfriends.

"It'll be different this time... I promise"

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Yes, new ownership... Disney.
Didn't Disney make Pirates of the Caribbean (which was a good movie, and for an adult audience)? Disney can make good movies, it's really the director that makes it anyway.