SotM Sept: Do-Do-Do-Do-Do-Dodonpachi

city41

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Furthest I've gotten yet, just shy of the final boss. This time with laser, and man the game is way harder than with shot!

City41 - 23,185,570 - 1-6 - C/Laser 235 - PCB

Ew6m9V9l.jpg

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
St6 boss is pretty easy compared to most first/single loop cave games. How long have you owned the PCB?
Personally I'm partial to laser now because of how important it is in the second loop for taking down bosses faster.

city41

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I've owned the game for about a year now, but have hardly played it. I've been working on clearing DDP DOJ (black label, just first loop). I'm really close there, but getting from 99% to 100% is about as much effort as the first 99% was :)

So seeing this is the SOTM, I decided to switch gears. I'm gonna see if I can clear the first loop this month.

I could see laser helping on the second loop, but doubling shot's fire power is a huge boost. Where as it seems like laser's power only goes up a little bit (seems I can beat bosses about 1 second faster than with shot).

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
A little improvement:

_rm_ - 18,464,440 - 1-5 - C/Shot - 158 - MAME

5oy3k8.jpg

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I finally got a score high enough to put into the scoreboard, lol.

GohanX - 4,586,220 - 1-3 - C/Shot - 128 - MAME (on Xbox)

I think I did a bit higher when I was on Panda's machine. A tated screen really makes a difference when dodging bullets.

dodonpach.jpg

Chempop

Cool, thanks panda, I'll use that score for gohan, who just knocked nug out of the top ten ohhh shiiiiit. You going to take that nug?!
Come on guys, USE THOSE BOMBS AND LASER BOMB THE BOSSES :vik:

p.s. panda post your new high score

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Now that you mention that, what is the preferred method of handling bosses? Just pew pew pew him and get a bonus for having leftover bombs or just waste him as quick as possible with the laser bomb?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Now that you mention that, what is the preferred method of handling bosses? Just pew pew pew him and get a bonus for having leftover bombs or just waste him as quick as possible with the laser bomb?

Don't bomb and don't die. If you don't use bombs and pick up bombs past your max, you get a score multiplier. It makes you score go up constantly even if you're not shooting anything.

Chempop

If you are relying on panic bombs during stages, it might actually be beneficial to finish bosses off with a laser bomb for the boss hits bonus.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
This was a score on Friday while I was waiting for Caldwert to get ready. I have some other scores but I'm waiting to get better ones.

a33c8871dc2b72cafebd676d229ab632.jpg

Chempop

:multi_co: AMAZING!!! I'll beat mine for sure, if you haven't already. BRAVO :multi_co:

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Is there any information on the hitboxes for the ships? Is it the cockpit?

Chempop

argh, just got a 55mil first loop but blew it hard on 1-6.

[edit] AARGHH broke 75 mil again but blew it on 2-5 :very_ang:

Last edited:

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Just a very slight improvement score-wise, but I managed to beat stage 3 boss without losing a life (which I haven't done before). However, used too many bombs in stage 5. That boss is so cruel :(

There is one spot I can't do without a bomb, so a little strategic help would be appreciated. It's on stage 3 shortly before the final red ship appears (and after the four space ships that cancel all bullets on screen when killed). Out of nowhere like 10-15 ships appear and spread their pink bullet mass over you. How am I supposed to get past them without a bomb? I haven't found a way yet and looking at youtube videos doesn't help either...

And how does the concept of maximum mode work? I couldn't find any significant raise in point although I have it quite frequently in stage 3 now (up to the mentioned point above). Do I have to clear a stage in maximum mode to get extra points?

suicidekiller - 19,072,650 - 1-6 - C/Shot - 151 - SAT

img_20160913_195328fkupi.jpg

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Just a very slight improvement score-wise, but I managed to beat stage 3 boss without losing a life (which I haven't done before). However, used too many bombs in stage 5. That boss is so cruel :(

There is one spot I can't do without a bomb, so a little strategic help would be appreciated. It's on stage 3 shortly before the final red ship appears (and after the four space ships that cancel all bullets on screen when killed). Out of nowhere like 10-15 ships appear and spread their pink bullet mass over you. How am I supposed to get past them without a bomb? I haven't found a way yet and looking at youtube videos doesn't help either...

And how does the concept of maximum mode work? I couldn't find any significant raise in point although I have it quite frequently in stage 3 now (up to the mentioned point above). Do I have to clear a stage in maximum mode to get extra points?

suicidekiller - 19,072,650 - 1-6 - C/Shot - 151 - SAT

I'd say if you're scoring that high the max bonus is working as intended for you. For that one part on stage 3 so far I just ensure I have max shot level up and point blank them best I can.

My first oh crap moment in the game is stage 2 where that tank thing comes out from the giant hanger dead center and shoots those needles everywhere. There is so much going on there, I nearly have to bomb, but I never feel like I've gotten past it other than pure luck each time.

Chempop

St3 that swarm before the big red ship, I tend to keep that last bullet cancel ship alive until the very last second so I can start wiping them clean, cancel, then get the rest. It takes practice to get it right.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
SK, I'll do a run tonight and film that part and post a vid to give you an idea of what to do.

Chempop

grrr 78mil gameover with 6 bombs (right before the 2-3 1UP of all places) :hammer:

city41

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
My first oh crap moment in the game is stage 2 where that tank thing comes out from the giant hanger dead center and shoots those needles everywhere. There is so much going on there, I nearly have to bomb, but I never feel like I've gotten past it other than pure luck each time.

I find for that part it works best to alternate between shot and laser. Laser helps kill that tank faster, and shot keeps the popcorn enemies in check.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I find for that part it works best to alternate between shot and laser. Laser helps kill that tank faster, and shot keeps the popcorn enemies in check.

It's usually the faster pink needles that catch me off guard, but plenty of side to side tracking tends to keep them out of your path long enough to kill the tank.