SotM Sept: Do-Do-Do-Do-Do-Dodonpachi

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Cool, thanks panda, I'll use that score for gohan, who just knocked nug out of the top ten ohhh shiiiiit. You going to take that nug?!
Come on guys, USE THOSE BOMBS AND LASER BOMB THE BOSSES :vik:

p.s. panda post your new high score
Haven't had a ton of time, but I'll try and get a decent one in tonite. The chaining is such a pain though. Sucks when I watch a super play and see the dudes score is higher then mine by level 2 mid boss, then mine at level 4...

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Didn't have much alone time but a slight improvement
Ballzdeepx- 9,310,920 - 1-4 -A/Laser -142 -Mame

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I find for that part it works best to alternate between shot and laser. Laser helps kill that tank faster, and shot keeps the popcorn enemies in check.

Thanks,
I'm also finding sweeping left to right helps as well too.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Haven't had a ton of time, but I'll try and get a decent one in tonite. The chaining is such a pain though. Sucks when I watch a super play and see the dudes score is higher then mine by level 2 mid boss, then mine at level 4...

Do not concern yourself with superplay scores. You have a month to learn this game, I'm sure those guys dumped tons of time into studying those superplays. Just learn at your own pace. It's about having fun and pushing yourself this month, not trying to overtake world records.

Suicidekiller, here is the vid. Notice how I shoot all the guns off of the ships but wait to blast the cockpit area in the back? Wait till the wave of ships appear and also feel free to make some of them off screen. They won't shoot if you can't see them.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Tossed a couple more credits. More scores. Lol.
b9f4376c96c730451cde4ea59abf1bb4.jpg

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
My 78mil score today, 4 deaths on the first loop
BRD-06-RK0003-04P.JPG

lions3

Igniz's Servent
okay, i'm hunting for the 10th spot. I'm sitting at 4.6 mil... i will take either Nug or gohanx's spot in the next day or two

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
St3 that swarm before the big red ship, I tend to keep that last bullet cancel ship alive until the very last second so I can start wiping them clean, cancel, then get the rest. It takes practice to get it right.

SK, I'll do a run tonight and film that part and post a vid to give you an idea of what to do.

Thanks guys for your help. I just gave it a sloppy try, but it worked out well. Had to use a bomb on the red ship though and lost a life on stage 3 boss, doh!

However, finally I reached the second extend on my final life in stage 5 through a nice chain, but ultimately lost it with 6 fresh bombs at hand even before the stage 5 boss :hammer: Haven't found a good way to kill those 6-8 big ships before the stage 5 boss (the same that appear in the beginning of stage 2). I suppose laser would be a good way, but once I notice I should use laser they already blasted out so many bullets that bomb is my only friend...

suicidekiller - 20,917,270 - 1-5 - C/Shot - 266 - SAT

img_20160914_094351_bu1sxp.jpg

Chempop

Congrats on breaking 20 mil :vik:
The end of stage 5, I think you can point blank some of the ships before they launch those annoying bullet barfing missiles, or just be safe and laser bomb them all. You were only 34 HITS away from 2nd loop requirements btw, which is 300 HITS with the blue ship (or +50 mil at end of st6, or I think max value bees in 4 stages?)

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Congrats on breaking 20 mil :vik:
You were only 34 HITS away from 2nd loop requirements btw, which is 300 HITS with the blue ship (or +50 mil at end of st6, or I think max value bees in 4 stages?)

Thanks, but that implies to reach the final boss first AND beat him. I haven't achieved either yet ;) But well, that's a good next aim since I'm constantly reaching stage 6 with one credit (but first I need to practice stage 3 boss a little more...). Seriously, is there any way to survive on stages 5+6 apart from using shot? I can't even find the time to switch to laser.

Anyway, progression...

suicidekiller - 24,856,870 - 1-6 - C/Shot - 159 - SAT

img_20160914_214811v3j32.jpg

Chempop

Thanks for the correction:

Type A: 270 hits
Type B: 300 hits
Type C: 330 hits
Score at least 50 million points at the end of the area 6.
Collect all 13 bees in four of the six areas.

and a little more on MAXIMUM mode

New to DoDonPachi is the addition of "MAXIMUM mode". This mode is triggered whenever a bomb is collected when all bomb slots are full. During MAXIMUM mode, the player's score increases by at least 220 points per 1/60th second, except during boss fights. The score multiplier begins with 2, and increases by 1 for every successive bomb collected in MAXIMUM mode. Whenever a bomb is used or the player loses a life, MAXIMUM mode ends until bomb overstocking occurs again, which will cause multiplier to resume at the last multiplier value. The multiplier is carried over to successive stages (including new loop).

from ddp wiki

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Thanks, but that implies to reach the final boss first AND beat him. I haven't achieved either yet ;) But well, that's a good next aim since I'm constantly reaching stage 6 with one credit (but first I need to practice stage 3 boss a little more...). Seriously, is there any way to survive on stages 5+6 apart from using shot? I can't even find the time to switch to laser.

Anyway, progression...

suicidekiller - 24,856,870 - 1-6 - C/Shot - 159 - SAT

img_20160914_214811v3j32.jpg

Nice progression SK. I'd be happy just reaching the second extend this month.

Chempop

I swear, the better I get at the second loop, the worse I'm doing in the first :lolz:

Kidpanda is keeping his scores secret like a little sissy. Guy can't even 1CC Ibara :keke:

lions3

Igniz's Servent
Still trying to chain my hits, almost got to 6 mil. Man I suck ><

058b700c2b4e37f5dd22898452ed9e99.jpg

Chempop

Chaining in stages 1-4 is actually a total pain in the ass with C-S because he has the slowest movement speed and slowest laser in the game. To chain there is a very fickle finesse between bursts of rapid, holding laser, and knowing exactly when to uncover the bees. Now do all three of those things exactly as needed while following an invisible track and you'll start to understand why no one here has a fucking clue as to what we are doing :lolz:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I swear, the better I get at the second loop, the worse I'm doing in the first :lolz:

Kidpanda is keeping his scores secret like a little sissy. Guy can't even 1CC Ibara :keke:

I don't know how to capture my footage. If someone could help me I would show my super plays. :lolz:

Chempop

You are about to capture my foot with your ass :angry:

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Thanks to Kidpanda's video i now know how to get the Stg3 1UP, altough i still die a lot of times without bombing. But now i have a new hope :vik:
Just have to put some training into it.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
359b7ce8ecaffca1dbd4de453a979a3d.jpg

Had to use a bunch of bombs, but I got 10th place back! That 3rd level is hard! Having lots of trouble with the 1st couple waves

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Nice progression SK. I'd be happy just reaching the second extend this month.

You can do it :buttrock:

Still trying to chain my hits, almost got to 6 mil. Man I suck ><

Don't focus too much on chaining. Trust me, when you reach stage 5 you can't avoid chaining ;) I myself find the bosses give me the hardest time. They are the most important thing to "learn" beside having a rough plan of where the enemies in the stages appear.

Had a strange run today. Lost three (!) lives on stage 3 boss, but broke my highscore nonetheless. Oh man I'd love to carry over my x2 maximum to stage 4. Chem and Kid, do you have any strategic advises for the stage 3 boss? Watching YT videos doesn't really help. The worst part are the fast blue lasers and the second incarnation of the side turrets, especially when shooting together. Any help is appreciated.

suicidekiller - 25,481,920 - 1-5 - C/Shot - 290 - SAT

img_20160915_12055780umo.jpg

Chempop

That 3rd level is hard! Having lots of trouble with the 1st couple waves

It is a tricky with type A. Try to use its speed to macro dodge around entire patterns if weaving between them is too hard.

Little tip for the st3 midboss that barfs purple, if you point blank it when it gets on the screen for about 2 seconds, then fly down while just shooting the wing on the right side, you will create enough space to have an easier dodge around the right corner of the screen, then you'll kill it before the second wave gets close enough to you.

Chem and Kid, do you have any strategic advises for the stage 3 boss?

I point blank the right side turret and wing as soon as he appears for about 3 seconds, move down and take them both out fast, then the spinning turret on the same side I kill next. Then I try to damage the 2 little pods on the right side near it's core that shoot those little pink bullets. If I don't take em out fast I need to hurry over to the left and get the wing that drops the bee. Take out left side and left back pods and then all that's left is the hatch that opens in the front (sometimes I already killed it by now) and the core which shoots RANDOMLY three different patterns: the straight (tap dodge, occasionally lead them farther to the side), constant wide (tap dodge in the middle), and very annoying one which drives me nuts and sometimes traps me if I'm not quickly finding the opening.

It's a hard boss, especially if he does the 'swirly-bullshit' pattern while the wings are still active.

Last edited:

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
How important are the bees for scoring? I'm sure if I'm going for the world record I need them, but while just trying to survive the first loop I find myself quite tempted/distracted by them. Thoughts?

Chempop

Bees don't add a lot due to their point value, but they are crucial for chaining because exposing them refills your hit meter.
There are also times there I avoid them because I don't want to drop my chain, so it's sorta circumstantial depending on your current route.