MVS & AES NEOSD flash card... AES Version ANNOUNCED & AVAILABLE!!

neosd

Neosd Developer
Hello guys,

I think it deppends on the bank at all. Here in Spain credit card secure payment forces us to get a code over SMS, so you have to enter it to proceed with the purchase, not just at neosdstore.com, at any online place that uses virtual payment system, this applies for cinema tickets for example ...
Dunno how it works in other countries, i lived in usa for some months and i was able to pay with my Spanish credit card at some places without type the secred code ...

Anyways, glad we know the issue is not at our side anymore.

Thanks !

IrishNinja

Kuroko's Training Dummy
yeah, +1 to the not being bothered by loading times crowd - 3 minutes seems like a bit, but if i'm drunkenly jumping around games, that's the perfect time to get up & get more whiskey. really, accuracy is what i'd be looking for here!

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I'm going to post my review of the UI and usage soon. This part of the review has been quite difficult to do given I know work is ongoing and these aspects are not yet finished. If nothing else you will understand that I'm leavng no stone unturned and at the end of the day everything is forwarded which hopefully helps make a better product for you guys.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Raz is gonna review it in chat ONLY...

Just sayin'...

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
User Interface, Options and Usage.

It is a little hard to give proper review of the user interface as the version I have is incomplete and some of the features are still missing or not working. Overall I would say the outlook is minimal and easily understandable. Given that it is incomplete it is a little rough around the edges which is to be expected at this point. Everything is displayed in an easily understandable way however and that's a big plus. The small title page screenshots is a nice touch.

Flashing a game is done by simply selecting it in the game list and then pressing the button A. Button B takes you the options page, button C will filter the games list based on genre (feature not included yet). Button D will add or remove the selected game to a favourites list (feature not included yet either).

Flashing a game.

This is a very simple process. You just hit Button A after selecting a game and the erase / flash process will start. This twostep process is shown in the UI via a progress bar in the middle of the screen. During the erase step the green LED on the NeoSD PCB flashes quickly, during flashing it flashes more slowly. With the SDcard I am using (fast but not the fastest) this process takes between 0:25 seconds and 4:30 minutes depending on the size of the game. This is the total time taken to erase and flash the NeoSD to new game. It is a onetime wait period, once a game is flashed there is no other loading required each time the system is powered on or reset. This aspect is identical to how an original Neo Geo game cartridges operate which use ROM.

Once a game flashed onto the NeoSD the system will reset itself. The next time you bring up the NeoSD UI you will see the new option 'Launch Current Game' in the game menu. Choose this option to exit the UI if you do not wish to flash a new game.

Options menu.

The following options are present in the current UI version I am testing. Player 1 Joystick up and down are used to select options with left and right to alter them. Button B is used to exit the menu and return to the games list. A quick breakdown of the current options I see are;

Boot Mode - Determines what happens at power on, Game or Menu.
In-Game Trigger - Can be set to either AD+START, BC+START, ABC+START or None.
System Mode - Can be set to either Bios, MVS or AES.
Region - Can be set to either Bios, Europe, USA or Japan.
Save/Restore Back RAM - Can be set to Yes or No.
UI Sounds - Can be set to Yes or No.
Help - This currently does nothing.
Version - Displays information about the NeoSD, version numbers etc.

Let's look at a couple of these options more closely given I know these will be of interest.

System Mode and Region setting.

Both these settings work as much as they can taking the bios environment into account. The MVS/AES mode switch works pretty much as it does in arcade emulators that have the option (WinKawaks for example). It should be noted however that this does not give the same experience as setting AES mode via a UniBios or the stock AES bios on AES. The Bios does some things beyond the control of NeoSD. For example, when using a stock MVS bios those with a keen eye will notice the Neo Geo jingle will display according to the MVS specification even when NeoSD is in AES mode. On true AES hardware with stock bios (or UniBios on MVS in AES mode) the jingle will always appears once before the first attract mode cycle and then never again.

This is only a minor thing but worth a mention given UniBios users will get a true AES experience using the UniBios to control system type over the settings in NeoSD. I have suggested to neosd that it may be wise to disable or force these settings to BIOS when a UniBios is detected in the host system (easy to do). This would give the user the best possible AES experience. These options in NeoSD will be a welcome addition however for those without a UniBios installed as they get you most of the way there.

Save and restore back RAM.

This feature will need some testing before being able to say how well it works but from my short testing so far it does not work properly although I can see the expected files saved on the SD card. On speaking the neosd about it I know the cause is known and now fixed. I just need to wait for a new firmware (that has other fixes also) so I can try it out.

From how I'm told it is implemented I feel it cannot be taken as a full proof way to save data but it is much better than nothing at all! It works by saving BackupRAM for the currently flashed game onto SD card at the point you choose a new game to flash. It is then reloaded when you flash that game back to the NeoSD.

While this system in theory will work, it is quite dependent on the backupRAM battery being able to hold the data in backupRAM on the MVS. If the MVS backupRAM is reset any good data on the SDcard will be overwritten with that data when the game is changed. A temporary solution to this dilemma would be an option in the UI to load or store back RAM of the currently selected game which the user can force if they know the backupRAM system on the MVS is not preforming well. Ideally though this process should be automatic.

Conclusion

As I have said at the start the user interface is not yet complete so it's hard to critique something when you know beforehand it's just going to get better anyway. The UI does what it needs to do in a very controllable way without leaving the user frustrated due to it being non responsive. I feel it could be graphically improved but at the same time others will like its minimal nature.

Here are some changes I feel would be beneficial to the user going forward over the version I'm testing (which is not the final version). These have already been passed on;

• Being able to wrap around when navigating the game list.
  • NeoSD should automatically detect presence of UniBios and disable its System and Region options if found.
  • Back RAM loading/Saving may need some refinement to help protect against data loss.
  • Hiding rogue tiles that sometimes appear momentarily sometimes before title page draws etc.
  • Instead of fading out the title page, fade it in only before running the main UI.
  • Some screenshots need altering to remove vertical strips / non-straight edges. Can be done by stretching them out horizontally before the shot is shrunk and converted.
  • Replace the '?' screenshot with one showing the NeoSD title page or Neo Geo logo jingle?

Last edited:

neosd

Neosd Developer
Raz,

Thanks for the review. As we have talked, some things are already fixed/added, others will be on the next days.
Your sugestions are really apreciated. Our goal is to get the best user experience as possible.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Thank You Raz...

Sounds good... ok ok.. what the lads want to know... is this...

WILL it work for the STANDARD NG library? And is it better than mame... seeing as you are loading teh original "err... NG stuffs"? (EDIT: I HATE to get myself into trouble here....)

And are these issues easily updateable with time?

THIS is what the forum needs to know in decision making at the current time...

xROTx

PS. All the other bootleg created NG stuff can wait until later...

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
Fantastic review notes, Raz! Appreciate your being so thorough.
And a big thank you to NeoSD for not only delivering, but also taking all these positive steps on the way to release.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Wow, definitely thanks for the thorough review Raz! Sounds like this truly is the real deal, and glad to see neosd is responsive to feedback.

Getting hard to resist at this point...

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Yes, I can see, really great things happening in the background and when I do the final review it will probably be a little different :)

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Thank You Raz...

Sounds good... ok ok.. what the lads want to know... is this...

WILL it work for the STANDARD NG library? And is it better than mame... seeing as you are loading teh original "err... NG stuffs"? (EDIT: I HATE to get myself into trouble here....)

And are these issues easily updateable with time?

THIS is what the forum needs to know in decision making at the current time...

xROTx

PS. All the other bootleg created NG stuff can wait until later...

The next part of my review will be about this very topic. Its the part of the review I'm really looking forward to because this is where the NeoSD kicks ass. In a Big Big way. I still cannot believe some of the things I'm seeing here with the protected games even its right in front of my eyes.

Last edited:

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
The NeoSD is amazing news as others have said and about time that such a product exists for the mighty Neo Geo! I would love one of these when funds permit and I totally appreciate the load times. I kind of like that games are not easy to flick between, when there is some effort in swapping games or limiting which games you play I feel there is more appreciation for individual games and you want to spend more time with each one. How many times of you flick between games on the 161-in-1, on emulators, Everdrives or movies on netflix etc, quite a bit for many people including myself. When my choice of games is limited I spend more time with one, loading a game on the NeoSD is a great way to try a bug free version of a game before you buy particularly for the expensive ones, you can try a game out for a few hours or have it set to one game for a week etc.

I look forward to Raz's review in due course.

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
The next part of my review will be about this very topic. Its the part of the review I'm really looking forward to do because this is where the NeoSD kicks ass. In a Big Big way. I still cannot believe some of the things I'm seeing here and the protected games even its right in front of my eyes.

COOL... can't wait...

Nostromo is wetting his pants in anticipation as well... he told me as much in chat... /SERUIZ...

xROTx

Kcsims

n00b
Raz - could elaborate on the Save/Restore Back RAM. Not sure I understand what is meant by this functionality. If using a VMC with my MVS, is this even necessarily?

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Being able to flip between AES and MVS is an unexpected, but welcome, addition. Getting more stoked by the minute for this.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Raz - could elaborate on the Save/Restore Back RAM. Not sure I understand what is meant by this functionality. If using a VMC with my MVS, is this even necessarily?

That function of the NeoSD is used for saving softdips and highscores in backup RAM once its full working.

I guess you want to know how well it will work compared to doing highscore saving on UniBios and MC/VMC which people use already? If so then I would say you would want to keep using the VMC / unibios for highscore saving simply due to how the NeoSD is has implimented it presently. I'm sure that system on the NeoSD will improove with time but it currently does not match how dedicated Highscore saving works given this system is not tied to what happens with data in backupRAM.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I'm getting ready to place my order on this.

NeoSD, do you plan to make the shells available again soon? I'd rather order with the shell, so it's ready to go when it arrives.

I asked NeoSD the exact same question and the reply was that on 1st December these should be available. Hopefully we can place pre-orders before then.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I asked NeoSD the exact same question and the reply was that on 1st December these should be available. Hopefully we can place pre-orders before then.

Thanks. Yeah, I'd be happy to place a pre-order if they could allow it on the website.

daithidownunder

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Thanks for all the amazing clandestine work on this NeoSD! You have certainly surprised a lot of people with this creation :drool:

Also many thanks to Raz for his efforts thus far, I look forward to reading the rest of your review.