MVS & AES NEOSD flash card... AES Version ANNOUNCED & AVAILABLE!!

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
OK...

Just a quick thingy... neosd says he's sorta busy fulfilling pre-orders...

ALL the bugs will be fixed as he promised... but it's important he fulfils the pre-orders... and everything else will be done in time...

xROTx

PS. If this project goes well and the forum agrees to it..... I will create a specific place for this in the tech forums just like for Raz's unibios...

cmoliveira

n00b
Here is a list of a few of the protected games I have tested so far. Metal Slug X is the only game failing the crc32 check so far due to patching into the P ROM. NeoSD did mention about this in the thread pages back and he plans for this to be fixed as soon as the protection mechanics of the game are understood.

I don't have the fasted SD card on the market so some of these times can be improoved apon with a better card. It's worth keeping in mind these are the biggest NeoGeo games though. I have not yet fully checked sound but so far it feels spot on.

Code:
Game Abbreviation   UniBios CRC32   SOUND   Flash Time
-----------------   -------------   -----   ---------- 
KOF 98              PASS            GOOD    4:02
KOF 99              PASS            GOOD    4:14
KOF 2000            PASS            GOOD    4:30
KOF 2001            PASS            GOOD    3:54
METAL SLUG X        FAIL (P1 ROM)   GOOD    2:58
METAL SLUG 3        PASS            GOOD    4:30
METAL SLUG 4        PASS            GOOD    3:20
SAMURAI SHODOWN 5   PASS            GOOD    4:28
SAMURAI SHODOWN 5SP PASS            GOOD    4:26
GAROU               PASS            GOOD    4:38
MATRIMELEE          PASS            GOOD    3:55
ROTD                PASS            GOOD    4:15
SUPER SIDE KICKS    PASS            GOOD    0:34
FATAL FURY 2        PASS            GOOD    0:51

Thanks for the info Raz! Darksoft said on the arcade-projects forums that the longest load time on his Multigame Cart is 12 seconds (currently). Looks like there will be some healthy competition in this space and that's good for all of us. :buttrock:

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
awesome! Darksoft can u post some footage here to conf..

._.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
So exciting! Can't wait to see the full review, Raz!

I might have to start selling stuff to invest in this thing.

neosd

Neosd Developer
Thanks for the info Raz! Darksoft said on the arcade-projects forums that the longest load time on his Multigame Cart is 12 seconds (currently). Looks like there will be some healthy competition in this space and that's good for all of us. :buttrock:

Dear Darksfot,

We can license you our technology, but sorry to tell you that its not possible to load and flash 100mb games from SD card in 12 secconds.
You are going to need atleast about 30 secconds just to read a 100mb game from the SD card, you are also going to need time to erase and flash chips.

Depending on which technology you choose, this will be faster or slower. If you choose RAM, erase and flash will be faster, but you will have to read, erase and flash the chips every time you power on the device. If you choose flash, you will be able to power off and keep the game flashed when you power on. Thats why we have choosen flash, cause with flash you dont have to write the game again every time you power off the neo geo.
We know you will notice that when you reach the point where you need to read game file from SD to write it on flash, we hope you reach that stage before 2017 ends.

Anything we can do for you, just let us know, we are open to answer any question your may have.

Thanks !

Last edited:

neosd

Neosd Developer
Thanks Rot,

We would definitely love to have a drama free place where to discuss what people want to get improved on NEOSD, to analyze and discuss if those improvements are technically possible to implement.

So far, neo-geo.com has been an incredible place to get in touch with neo geo comunity.

We are glad to be arround.

OK...

Just a quick thingy... neosd says he's sorta busy fulfilling pre-orders...

ALL the bugs will be fixed as he promised... but it's important he fulfils the pre-orders... and everything else will be done in time...

xROTx

PS. If this project goes well and the forum agrees to it..... I will create a specific place for this in the tech forums just like for Raz's unibios...

Last edited:

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Thanks for the info Raz! Darksoft said his Multigame Cart is 12 seconds (currently). Looks like there will be some healthy competition in this space and that's good for all of us. :buttrock:

Here is the thing about loading times. and I have posted this already.

Put it into prospective, CPS-3 takes about 30 minutes to load a game.

I get it though, loading times may be important for some.. Is this the reason your buying a flashcart though, is it a top priority must factor? For those serious about wanting accurate games on a flashcart (and after all this is the main complaint relating to the 161in1 etc). I would say your number one priority is not loading times but making sure games loaded onto the flashcart do pass the unibios gamecart CRC32 check and play 100% correctly as the original. You need to make sure your purchase/potential purchase is doing the fundemental things correctly before making loading times such a priority.

12 seconds to load a game is slow compared to a 161in1 afterall, espicially if both devices can only play some games that fail the unibios crc32 check.

lherre

New Challenger
Here is the thing about loading times. and I have posted this already.

Put it into prospective, CPS-3 takes about 30 minutes to load a game.

I get it though, loading times may be important for some.. Is this the reason your buying a flashcart though, is it a top priority must factor? For those serious about wanting accurate games on a flashcart (and after all this is the main complaint relating to the 161in1 etc). I would say your number one priority is not loading times but making sure games loaded onto the flashcart do pass the unibios gamecart CRC32 check and play 100% correctly as the original. You need to make sure your purchase/potential purchase is doing the fundemental things correctly before making loading times such a priority.

12 seconds to load a game is slow compared to a 161in1 afterall, espicially if both devices can only play some games that fail the unibios crc32 check.

Yeah, is like "emulators" you can have 100% original emulation but the resources to do that (100% accuracy) are astronomically more demanding than the things the regular emulators often do.

This is the same, you want a 100% original experience/accuracy, you will have some loading times (and as you see it depends on the game), if not you have another choices.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Here's my view on this whole affair and thread...

This announcement came out of the blue... and Raz and others asked me to oversee this thread...

After the LAST shitfest... I really didn't want too... but you can't always get what you want around here....

As I SEE it... this thread has been pretty much drama free and I'd appreciate it if everyone kept it this way...

1. neosd has kept his side of the bargain atm by answering all relevant questions and concerns about the project... (I also appreciate that it is a 2 way street concerning neosd... he needs us... and we would like the item...)
2. The neosd was sent FREE to Razoola (as requested) who is currently doing a thourough evaluation of the device.. His reports will help determine how members wish to proceed...
3. I CANNOT mod stuff and devices I have not seen... aka. The Darksoft thingy (if it even will become reality...)... hence, I'd appreciate some of you guys not comparing a product that no one has... to the neosd... which atm Razoola has....
4. There is a significant portion of the community here that is interested in this device and for the next few years with upgrades and improvements... there is no reason why this cannot become as useful and valuable as the Unibios...

My conclusion is... it's exciting times for the community.. and as long as I'm around I wish it to be so with as little stress as possible..

Let's be honest here... you tech/nerdy/geeky fooks likes things relatively drama free... and that's what I am here to ensure...

I know very little about tech stuffs... but I know the forum and YOU crazies...

xROTx

neosd

Neosd Developer
Thanks Rot,

Its important to us, know what users think about our product, cause at the end of the day, that is going to determine if the project is a sucess or not.

We are doing our best to deliver a 100% perfect product, one that fills our quality standards and make users happy. There is nothing worst as a customer than buy something and notice that its not what you thought it would be, this is the main reason for us answering EVERY question here.

We have sent NEOSD to Razoola, cause we are 100% sure about the quality of our project.

We hope this will be a sucess and that will allow us to deliver more wonderful products on the next years.

Just want to tell everyone, we are here to stay, we have founded this company to deliver more prodcuts.

Thanks

Here's my view on this whole affair and thread...

This announcement came out of the blue... and Raz and others asked me to oversee this thread...

After the LAST shitfest... I really didn't want too... but you can't always get what you want around here....

As I SEE it... this thread has been pretty much drama free and I'd appreciate it if everyone kept it this way...

1. neosd has kept his side of the bargain atm by answering all relevant questions and concerns about the project... (I also appreciate that it is a 2 way street concerning neosd... he needs us... and we would like the item...)
2. The neosd was sent FREE to Razoola (as requested) who is currently doing a thourough evaluation of the device.. His reports will help determine how members wish to proceed...
3. I CANNOT mod stuff and devices I have not seen... aka. The Darksoft thingy (if it even will become reality...)... hence, I'd appreciate some of you guys not comparing a product that no one has... to the neosd... which atm Razoola has....
4. There is a significant portion of the community here that is interested in this device and for the next few years with upgrades and improvements... there is no reason why this cannot become as useful and valuable as the Unibios...

My conclusion is... it's exciting times for the community.. and as long as I'm around I wish it to be so with as little stress as possible..

Let's be honest here... you tech/nerdy/geeky fooks likes things relatively drama free... and that's what I am here to ensure...

I know very little about tech stuffs... but I know the forum and YOU crazies...

xROTx

Last edited:

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I have had a chance to test a small cross section of games now of different sizes. This gives a more true picture of loading times across all game sizes on the NeoSD I have here.

Code:
AERO FIGHTERS 2     PASS            GOOD    0:49
ART OF FIGHTING     PASS            GOOD    0:46
BLUES JOURNEY       PASS            GOOD    0:31
BLAZING STAR        PASS            GOOD    2:02
BURNING FIGHT       PASS            GOOD    0:27
CROSSED SWORDS 2    PASS            GOOD    0:45
FATAL FURY          PASS            GOOD    0:28
GHOSTLOP            PASS            GOOD    0:52
IRONCLAD            PASS            GOOD    1:38
KOF 94              PASS            GOOD    1:46
LAST BLADE          PASS            GOOD    3:07
LAST RESORT         PASS            GOOD    0:24
MAGICIAN LORD       PASS            GOOD    0:25
METAL SLUG          PASS            GOOD    1:42
NAM-1975            PASS            GOOD    0:26
NEO TURF MASTERS    PASS            GOOD    1:13
PULSTAR             PASS            GOOD    2:01
REAL BOUT FF        PASS            GOOD    2:19
SAMURAI SHODOWN     PASS            GOOD    1:07
SHOCK TROOPERS      PASS            GOOD    2:13
STRIKERS 1945 PLUS  PASS            GOOD    3:34
VIEW POINT          PASS            GOOD    0:38
WORLD HEROES        PASS            GOOD    0:40
WIND JAMMERS        PASS            GOOD    0:35

I want to add a little more on loading times as I see misunderstandings going forward on this point.

The times above is the total time taken to erase and flash the NeoSD to the game mentioned which I measured. It is a one time erase/flash period. Once a game is flashed there is a 0 (zero) second load time every time the system is powered on or reset with a NeoSD present. This is identical to how an original NeoGeo game cartridge operates.

Last edited:

lherre

New Challenger
I have had a chance to test a small cross section of games now of different sizes. This gives a more true picture of loading times across all game sizes on the NeoSD I have here.

Code:
AERO FIGHTERS 2     PASS            GOOD    0:49
ART OF FIGHTING     PASS            GOOD    0:46
BLUES JOURNEY       PASS            GOOD    0:31
BLAZING STAR        PASS            GOOD    2:02
BURNING FIGHT       PASS            GOOD    0:27
CROSSED SWORDS 2    PASS            GOOD    0:45
FATAL FURY          PASS            GOOD    0:28
GHOSTLOP            PASS            GOOD    0:52
IRONCLAD            PASS            GOOD    1:38
KOF 94              PASS            GOOD    1:46
LAST BLADE          PASS            GOOD    3:07
LAST RESORT         PASS            GOOD    0:24
MAGICIAN LORD       PASS            GOOD    0:25
METAL SLUG          PASS            GOOD    1:42
NAM-1975            PASS            GOOD    0:26
NEO TURF MASTERS    PASS            GOOD    1:13
PULSTAR             PASS            GOOD    2:01
REAL BOUT FF        PASS            GOOD    2:19
SAMURAI SHODOWN     PASS            GOOD    1:07
SHOCK TROOPERS      PASS            GOOD    2:13
STRIKERS 1945 PLUS  PASS            GOOD    3:34
VIEW POINT          PASS            GOOD    0:38
WORLD HEROES        PASS            GOOD    0:40
WIND JAMMERS        PASS            GOOD    0:35

I want to add a little more on loading times as I see misunderstandings going forward on this point.

The times above is the total time taken to erase and flash the NeoSD to the game mentioned which I measured. It is a one time erase/flash period. Once a game is flashed there is a 0 (zero) second load time every time the system is powered on or reset with a NeoSD present. This is identical to how an original NeoGeo game cartridge operates.

The last thing is something that is usually forgotten. Once is flashed it operates like an original game with 0 loading times.

Thanks for the loading times provided.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I can't seem to be able to get an order to go through. I keep getting "transaction denied" when checking out with my credit card.

neosd

Neosd Developer
I can't seem to be able to get an order to go through. I keep getting "transaction denied" when checking out with my credit card.
Hello,

Usa credit card ? Allow me to send you a private message please.

Thanks

neosd

Neosd Developer
Yes, it's a U.S. card.

Thanks,

I have sent you a private message, our bank had a lot of rules to block credit card payments through theyr paymen system, for some reason they fear USA credit cards payments. We still dont really know why but there are rules for :
a) USA
b) Rest of the world

We thought all those were solved after a week fighting with the bank, lets see whats still remaining, to call them back ...

Thanks

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Those times are fine! When I want to play a specific game on the MVS I tend to want a cup of tea while I am playing, so load the game, go get your drink, come back and loaded =D All these youngsters expecting instant loading times!!!, they know nothing - go spend some time with a ZX Spectrum or Commodore 64, that will feel like a long loading time =D Have you tried the backup RAM save feature yet Raz, or does your board need an update first?

tcdev

NEST Puppet
For me, personally, the ability to play any title - and perhaps most importantly, homebrew titles - on real hardware far outweighs the inconvenience of a few minutes flash time. If I want to 'twitch game' I likely won't be playing Neo Geo games on real hardware, I'll probably be firing up an emulator on a PC or portable device. Real Neo Geo hardware is for serious gaming sessions that will probably involve an hour or more of gameplay on a particular title. It's going to take time for me to drag out the console and set it all up anyway so a few (more) minutes loading time is neither here nor there in the scheme of things under these circumstances.

And as GadgetUK mentioned - I cut my video gaming teeth loading games from cassette on a TRS-80 Model I... load error, adjust volume, try again... so these young whipper-snappers don't know how good they've got it!

Of course there'll be the inevitable gripes from the unappreciative; would be nice if they could simply say, "cool device, but not for me" and move on. But everyone here has been around the scene long enough to know that's not going to happen in most cases. ;)

Unfortunately for me, although I own a handful of MVS boards and a couple of cabinets, I'm holding out for an AES version (unless I read too many posts from gloating customers and I can't restrain myself). I have little doubt AES is next on the cards (it's a natural follow-on), but I'm not hoping to prod neosd into a confession just yet. But if they're too slow off the mark, someone might beat them to it! :P

neosd

Neosd Developer
RomE wanst built in a day, even some think they can build something better than RomE in a day ;)

Not saying that others can´t show something out of the blue as we did ...

Thanks !!

Unfortunately for me, although I own a handful of MVS boards and a couple of cabinets, I'm holding out for an AES version (unless I read too many posts from gloating customers and I can't restrain myself). I have little doubt AES is next on the cards (it's a natural follow-on), but I'm not hoping to prod neosd into a confession just yet. But if they're too slow off the mark, someone might beat them to it! :P

Last edited: