PCE Super SD System 3 - Terraonion New Product (Dec 2017)

powerflower

Banned
It's fascinating how all of a sudden so many noobs appear and demand things they shouldn't because clearly these b*tches do NOT appreciate what is given to us. Wonder how many original copies these guys have on this system...

Oh, I'm a noob here too with the difference in having a sweet PCE collection :)

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Yohanov... War Room Locked...

...Surplus to requirements for the forseeable future...

Legolas... move your crappy 6 button talk to General Tech...

Last warning...

xROTx

I made a Super System 3 tech support thread for this stuff days ago. Its in tech support.

legolas119

Rugal's Thug
Every PCE pad will work with the Coregrafx. Turbografx pads will not because the plug is different unless you get an adapter or change the cable.

I don't have a RX pad so I can't compare, but the Ave 6 pad is decent for Street Fighter and kinda useless for anything else. Because of the button layout traditional 2 button games don't really feel right. I would only get an Ave 6 specifically if you are going to use it for SF2 (which is an excellent port.)

On the other hand, the Ave 3 is pretty great and useful in tons of games that use either select or run as an action button.

Understood. so it is better to buy both joypad in order to play different type of games, right?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
*edited by Rot*

FUCK YOU LEGOLAS!

DUMB COONT!

*edited by GohanX*

How vulgar.

PS. I agree with the sentiment tho.

Last edited:

powerflower

Banned
Hello NeoSD.

I have a question regarding the Arcade Card. I know it is a 2.3MByte ram expansion. But, is this just a substitute for HuCard roms like it's behaving like a Card/Cache so that the PCE can load stuff into its own Ram/VRam from that 2.3 MByte or is it truely a Work/VRam expansion?

Oh and is it really true that Neo can only shrink spriites and uses "backwards action" to zoom in? Because there are several instances where we have pixalation when "zoomed in". ASOII intro + ship zooming into playfield. Same with a soccer game and Twinkle Star Sprites. Did they even go so far to make a sprite pixelated in its "biggest" bitmap so that it looks like Sega Superscaler?

Another question:
Iv'e heard the PCE can stream data from rom "as fast" as the Neo. As we all know the Neo 68000 has no access to Rom. Everthing ist directly streamed by the "GPU" in realtime to the screen. So the 64KByte VRam is only for the tiled and fixed background layer which is used for the HUDs. Am I right?

How does the Engine behave when accessing rom?

Thanks in advance :) Rot, hope this isn't OT? If so please delete.

-Black Fly

Last edited:

neosd

Neosd Developer
Hello NeoSD.

I have a question regarding the Arcade Card. I know it is a 2.3MByte ram expansion. But, is this just a substitute for HuCard roms like it's behaving like a Card/Cache so that the PCE can load stuff into its own Ram/VRam from that 2.3 MByte or is it truely a Work/VRam expansion?

Oh and is it really true that Neo can only shrink spriites and uses "backwards action" to zoom in? Because there are several instances where we have pixalation when "zoomed in". ASOII intro + ship zooming into playfield. Same with a soccer game and Twinkle Star Sprites. Did they even go so far to make a sprite pixelated in its "biggest" bitmap so that it looks like Sega Superscaler?

Another question:
Iv'e heard the PCE can stream data from rom "as fast" as the Neo. As we all know the Neo 68000 has no access to Rom. Everthing ist directly streamed by the "GPU" in realtime to the screen. So the 64KByte VRam is only for the tiled and fixed background layer which is used for the HUDs. Am I right?

-Black Fly

I will let neodev answers you, prolly it will take some time cause he is out today ...

Thanks

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Yohanov has been freed from the War room...

xROTx

PS. We talked... it's easier in real time:p

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Sorry! I didn't see the tech topic!!!! if I would have know i wouldn't have posted here!

The question you have been asking for DAYS has NOTHING to do with the device... it's a technical question about what joystick is best.... that is why i was annoyed....

...and this is why I let Black Fly's question go... it is device specific....

Cool! I know it's a little bit indepth. Thx

It's fine... Neosd and neodev are good at answering relevant questions...

xROTx

powerflower

Banned
That's the picture i got lurking here. Cool guys I think and their products speak for themselves. Nice to see that cute Engine getting some major love :) It's like a little Neo Geo, give it much rom and ram and there you have Sapphire.

@legolas

I followed your Joystick stuff and even posted the one and only solution the XE-1 PRO HE. This should be the answer to all of your questions ;) ... but deleted post due to...

And yes it's not 100% topic but extremely related to the system. I'm a tech freak and these guys must know something about that Engine.

Jeebus, editing the shit outta my posts because Englisch not my Muttersprache...

Last edited:

neodev

Neosd Tech
Hello NeoSD.

Another question:

-Black Fly

The arcade card includes the normal 192KB expansion of the super cd cards, and the 2MB arcade card expansion. The 2MB expansion is not a truly random access memory, as it's accessed sequentially, so it's easy to stream data in/out of it consecutively.

I's true that the neogeo can't zoom sprites, just shrink by skipping lines or columns, based on a hardcoded pattern.

About the speed, I'm not sure about the question, but I think the pce can outperform or at least match the 68k program rom access speed, as even if ithas a slower clock, it just takes 1 clock cycle to perform the access, but the 68k needs several cycles although it reads 16bits at once, so it's hard to say.

The pc engine graphics are all drawn from vram (bgs, sprites...). It's comparabld to a megadrive/genesis.

Last edited:

powerflower

Banned
First of all thanks alot. I think this clarifies some.

So the SCD section works as CardRom but the sequentially accessed 2MB does not compute with me right now. Thought it could act like the Neo for animations on the fly like Fatal Fury and stuff?

@NeoGeo
Ha, so they faked in some instances pixelation on the Neo, nice.

Regarding PCE access speed...just heard it would be much better in animation than Mega Drive given the right amount of Rom. Again thanks. Such info is rare.

Last edited:

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Minor grammatical thing..may not be worth fixing. “The ultimate add-on to get the best of your PC Engine” might be better as “The ultimate add-on to get the best from your PC Engine.”

As I said..pretty minor.

Personally I'd go with "to get the most out of your PC Engine"

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
If you guys cause a delay over verbage on the box, I'm going to kick you in the nuts. :keke:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
If you guys cause a delay over verbage on the box, I'm going to kick you in the nuts. :keke:

So, why would even anyone care for the text on the box? SNK has bad grammar on like half of their AES releases :lolz:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
So, why would even anyone care for the text on the box? SNK has bad grammar on like half of their AES releases :lolz:

This. Fuck this grammar shit and just let me get my gaming on.

Last edited:

Syntax_x

n00b
Been reading up on this fine product this morning but couldn't find out if any magic had been cast over the THS7374 circuit to fix the PCEs jailbars issue.
Not a problem for me if we still have to open them up and fit a few caps, just checking before I open one up.
http://etim.net.au/av-driver/pcebars/

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Is every noob going to nitpick on every possible thing you could think of. If it's not a problem for you than why mention it.

I have to stay out of this thread before I get in trouble.

Syntax_x

n00b
I mention it because I don't know how the expansion port works on these consoles and if the onion boys did something to sort out a naturally occurring problem then it's a +1 in my books.
I'd been fence sitting most of the year about doing an RGB bypass and getting an everdrive but with this as an option now, well, I've got a semi... :D

powerflower

Banned
Never heard of this problem. Mine outputs via Ext. and some caps, transistors and resistors a perfect SCART-RGB (sync via Video) picture. Its the old white one+CD-Rom.

So the MD2 RGB solution will definitely work fine for me. So should for all other Euros and Aussies?

If you can solder then you shouldn't worry or try learning it, not rocket science.

And info is out there+I'm sure the guys will help you out.

Otherwise this product is not for you, greets.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I mention it because I don't know how the expansion port works on these consoles and if the onion boys did something to sort out a naturally occurring problem then it's a +1 in my books.
I'd been fence sitting most of the year about doing an RGB bypass and getting an everdrive but with this as an option now, well, I've got a semi... :D

Don't Think, Just do. You Nerds over think everything. Jail Bars, big deal, lower the brightness on your monitor and they are hardly noticeable. I've played with Jail Bars for years and you really only notice them when you see the blacks. This device is saving you have to rgb mod your console. You want to go ahead and RGB mod your console and Jail Bar fix your shit than go ahead. I played in shitty rf and composite cables for over a decade, subjecting my eyes to that blurry mess on the screen. I would have killed for some RGB with slight Jail Bars growing up. That shit would have changed my life. You need to fuck off. I like most Aussies but you are on my shit list.

i've had a few drinks so I am a little edgy.