SMPTE color bars for Calibration (Neo Geo)

Misos

New Challenger
I need a way to display SMPTE color bars so that i can probe and measure video signals on my MVS consolized.
I know there is a tool to display SMPTE bars (Neo Geo Monitor Test Tool) on mvs but searching on this and other forums i don't see nobody that succesfully built one.
I was wondering if any other tool like this exists? Or any other method that I could use to check video signal voltages.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Do you have a flash cart? I was planning to make a .neo file for the NeoSD if someone hasn't already.

maki

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Unibios 3.3 has those self tests, stock bios as well
its not in the Unibios 4.0

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I made a .neo file of the NeoHomeBrew Monitor Test Tool for the NeoSD, but it doesn't seem to be quite working right. Getting vertical bars through everything.

Misos

New Challenger
Do you have a flash cart? I was planning to make a .neo file for the NeoSD if someone hasn't already.
I don't have one unfortunately.

Unibios 3.3 has those self tests, stock bios as well
its not in the Unibios 4.0
I'm looking for a SMPTE bar like this one:

smpte2.gif

https://github.com/jwestfall69/neogeo-diag-bios has SMPTE color bars, however the video dac test will likely be more useful

It allows isolating each individual color bit for probing.

If I'm not mistaken the diag and unibios only have the regular color bars like the ones from CPS2 test menu.
I was looking for SMPTE bars because it has voltages that you can follown and try to match.

I made a .neo file of the NeoHomeBrew Monitor Test Tool for the NeoSD, but it doesn't seem to be quite working right. Getting vertical bars through everything.

A user from this forum made a phisical copy and had the same problem. The instructions are not clear if you should remove all chips or leave some in the board. Maybe it is dependent on one of the p-roms on the prog board.

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
If I'm not mistaken the diag and unibios only have the regular color bars like the ones from CPS2 test menu.
I was looking for SMPTE bars because it has voltages that you can follown and try to match.

You are correct that the original diag bios doesnt have them, but what I linked is an updated diag bios that does have them. Just note however that its made using the FIX layer which is made up of tiles that are a fixed size, so the width/height of the colors might not be 100% accurate.

Last edited:

Misos

New Challenger
You are correct that the original diag bios doesnt have them, but what I linked is an updated diag bios that does have them. Just note however that its made using the FIX layer which is made up of tiles that are a fixed size, so the width/height of the colors might not be 100% accurate.
Thank you I didn't know that. I have an older version. I will burn an eprom and try it out.

Misos

New Challenger
So, I tested it out and it works great, thanks again for the tip.
Do you known if the SMPTE bars are at 100% or 75%?
Because I did the adjustments with an osciloscope but i think the image it's a litle bit too bright on my Sony Wega.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
So, I tested it out and it works great, thanks again for the tip.
Do you known if the SMPTE bars are at 100% or 75%?
Because I did the adjustments with an osciloscope but i think the image it's a litle bit too bright on my Sony Wega.
Add 220ohm resistors on all 3 rgb lines. It should be fine.

maki

Edo Express Delivery Guy
my personal suggestion would be for a THS7374 based RGB amp and appropriate attenuation, including CSYNC

the pic will be better and its safer

I've shot my OSSC with a defective MVS (over 4V on CSYNC) during a power cycle and its really hard to get replacement parts for it at the moment, so I've added the THS amp to my super gun and fixed the attenuation for RGBS to prevent that in the future

edit:
attached pics, used a breakout board and SMD/THT components, cheap and effective, goes into the super gun so doesn't have to be pretty

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 4.21.47 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 4.21.47 pm.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 4.21.39 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 4.21.39 pm.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Misos

New Challenger
Add 220ohm resistors on all 3 rgb lines. It should be fine.
my personal suggestion would be for a THS7374 based RGB amp and appropriate attenuation, including CSYNC

the pic will be better and its safer

I've shot my OSSC with a defective MVS (over 4V on CSYNC) during a power cycle and its really hard to get replacement parts for it at the moment, so I've added the THS amp to my super gun and fixed the attenuation for RGBS to prevent that in the future

edit:
attached pics, used a breakout board and SMD/THT components, cheap and effective, goes into the super gun so doesn't have to be pretty
That does not apply in my case. Let me explain what I'm trying to do.
I have a Consolized MVS witth an RGB to component encoder.
I'm using the color bars to adjust voltages with an oscilloscope.
And I'm aiming for those voltages in particular:

RGB and YPbPr chart 2.jpg

That's assuming if the bars are at 100% brightness. If they are at 75% brightness the values would change. I could adjust the colors only by looking at them, but I'm trying to do it properly to avoid the video signal looking good in my tv and wrong in another one. Maybe it's supposed to look that bright, when I adjust the brightness and everything else in my tv in the middle it looks good.
Hard to tell because I don't have anything to compare to.