CRT Fetish Thread

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Parsec, Demon Attack, Slymoids. Heaters!
I played on a black and white tv at the time. When I was in cub scouts the den leaders kid had a color tv and the sound module for Parsec so it was a treat to go over his house.

I had
Ti Invaders
Parsec
Burgertime
Some alligator munch math game
A PAC Man clone - Munch Man

That I can remember

I knew some people that had Star Trek, Football, Congo Bongo, and Jungle Hunt. I liked them at the time. I would love to get Star Trek for it if I ever take the plunge

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
The apple II vga cards are easy and nice too, though your rig is solid of course
The thing is, the Apple II was made with composite in mind. so many things don't look right in VGA. The IIgs is a better choice for VGA.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
The thing is, the Apple II was made with composite in mind. so many things don't look right in VGA. The IIgs is a better choice for VGA.
You'd be surprised man. It's actually fucking glorious and soft scanlines work too.

Also with all respect the II(e) was also made with a loose regard for NTSC spec so a tube is all but needed for the composite signal to not suck most of the time. The signal is rough for modern displays and even scalers; these VGA cards kick the shit out of, say, an xrgb and lcd.

IIgs through scart at this point is technically less accurate for some iie video modes than the A2VGA card. Not that it doesn't look really good, and I don't necessary care that much myself, but others have pointed it out.

For reference, this is a laser128, but a iie looks identical.

Attachments

• 20231001_191058.jpg
    20231001_191058.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 20231001_190934.jpg
    20231001_190934.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 9
  • 20231002_122320.jpg
    20231002_122320.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 9

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
You'd be surprised man. It's actually fucking glorious and soft scanlines work too.

Also with all respect the II(e) was also made with a loose regard for NTSC spec so a tube is all but needed for the composite signal to not suck most of the time. The signal is rough for modern displays and even scalers; these VGA cards kick the shit out of, say, an xrgb and lcd.

IIgs through scart at this point is technically less accurate for some iie video modes than the A2VGA card. Not that it doesn't look really good, and I don't necessary care that much myself, but others have pointed it out.

For reference, this is a laser128, but a iie looks identical.
Looks good. When I discovered some convergence issues with my IIe monitor I tried all my other composite capable monitors including my 14" PVM, Commodore 1702, JVC TM-H1750C, and Amiga 1080. Even though they're all superior monitors the picture looked 'wrong'. Either the scanlines were way too big (PVM and JVC) or the text was too fuzzy in 80 column mode. The IIe monitor must be made to overcome or compensate for all the Apple II's video shortcomings because nothing else looks right with it.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
While I'm here, I have a technical question. I have a PVM 14N1U that has a weird issue. After being on for 10-20 minutes the screen goes very blue (like the gun is turned up all the way) and the text gets smeary, even on the on screen display menu. If you turn it off and wait a minute it will go away but it comes back right away until it cools down. Any idea what could be causing this? Someone told me it might be a cap on the neckboard (something about voltage regulation) but I replaced that and it didn't help. Maybe it's a different cap? It definetly has something to do with the set warming up.

IMG_6018.JPG

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Looks good. When I discovered some convergence issues with my IIe monitor I tried all my other composite capable monitors including my 14" PVM, Commodore 1702, JVC TM-H1750C, and Amiga 1080. Even though they're all superior monitors the picture looked 'wrong'. Either the scanlines were way too big (PVM and JVC) or the text was too fuzzy in 80 column mode. The IIe monitor must be made to overcome or compensate for all the Apple II's video shortcomings because nothing else looks right with it.
Yeah even the commodore monitor I have is rough in 80 column mode. Probably has to do with the aperture grille that apple used, since trinitron has their signature one.

If you are curious to see 40/80 column text on the VGA let me know, I can take a picture for you. Also I don't know if/how much you solder, but I frequently make kits for DIY Apple II VGA cards as do others, or assembled cards are everywhere now too, thankfully.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Yeah even the commodore monitor I have is rough in 80 column mode. Probably has to do with the aperture grille that apple used, since trinitron has their signature one.

If you are curious to see 40/80 column text on the VGA let me know, I can take a picture for you. Also I don't know if/how much you solder, but I frequently make kits for DIY Apple II VGA cards as do others, or assembled cards are everywhere now too, thankfully.
Sure, I wouldn't mind seeing how text looks. Especially something like Zork Zero who had weird fringy double hi-res 80 column text.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
"Hmmm... Finish basement or cover up the bare walls with expensive game collection?"

Well, finishing the basement would be cheaper, but if I were there playing games I wouldn't question your priorities.

uiengineer

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner
friend of mine is getting 5 CRTs this weekend and is giving me one or two. looking forward to it, as i haven't had a CRT since 2006.