6 slot board repair

crujones4life

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Got a 6 slot board that has always had a sound problem, sound would be very quiet and some sounds would drop out unless I pull up on jamma harness and pin wires to inside of machine (so harness is being pulled tightly against edge connector. So the other day I look at the connector and the last two contacts on the right side are burnt about half way down. What is the best way to fix this, solder?

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Got a 6 slot board that has always had a sound problem, sound would be very quiet and some sounds would drop out unless I pull up on jamma harness and pin wires to inside of machine (so harness is being pulled tightly against edge connector. So the other day I look at the connector and the last two contacts on the right side are burnt about half way down. What is the best way to fix this, solder?

the last 2 on either side of the connector is ground and has nothing to do with your audio problem, you need to recap the audio section

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
the last 2 on either side of the connector is ground and has nothing to do with your audio problem, you need to recap the audio section

While recapping is probably needed anyway, I wouldn't disregard the burned ground pins as they are used as speaker negatives.

I would sand the burned pins off and rebuild them with adhesive copper strips.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
I would sand the burned pins off and rebuild them with adhesive copper strips.

MKL: There's an easier way to remove the contacts than to sand them off. Cut across them close to the end away from the board edge... leave enough to solder the copper strip to. Take a soldering iron and heat the part you want to remove and use an X-acto knife (razor knife) to lift the trace up and off the board cleanly.

I do a LOT of those types of repairs on Pac Man/Ms. Pac Man boards. They suffer badly from that.

RJ

crujones4life

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Please forgive my ignorance on this subject, but can I not just add some solder? If not what are these adhesive copper strips you speak of? Any pics? Thanks!

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
The copper trace tape will stick fine to the PC board. Since they are ground connectors you can wrap the tape over the edge of the board and connect both sides together with it which will help keep the tape from ever peeling up from the edge.

Also, check your JAMMA harness socket. If the contacts are burnt you'll need to replace it too.

DO NOT just put solder on the traces. The extra thickness will cause the JAMMA harness contacts to be bent out of shape and cause problems with other boards you may insert into the cabinet.

RJ