About this "UP" text on old games...

yashiroTCM

Hardened Shock Trooper
Yo ppl!

Old Games such as Mame's TMNT, Vendetta and some others have this 1UP, 2UP, 3UP, 4UP text on it, I understand that the "P" stands for player... but what about the "U"?, what does it mean? Unique Player? =P

thanks

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
Darklighterx said:
I gotta say wow.

nah. i always thought it was a little weird when the term is used to mean player 1 rather than a free man.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
not sonic said:
nah. i always thought it was a little weird when the term is used to mean player 1 rather than a free man.

See, free man is a term that I always steered clear of. It's a bit gay, at best. :lolz: ;)

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Aaron D said:
See, free man is a term that I always steered clear of. It's a bit gay, at best. :lolz: ;)

Ahahahaha, yeah.

I've always hated that term too. I always use "extra life".

Moose

Moose,
20 Year Member
extra guy

Boss = end guy
enemy = bad guy

some childhood phrases just stick with you forever

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
"free man" was common over here back in the arcade days, with funny versions such as "free panzer". The term was derivated from the early Atari tank games which were extremly popular so we used to yell "Freipanzer!!!!!" when someone got a free ship/extra life in other games as well.

Soniku

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
I really hate when people call a level a "board". It just sounds retarded to me for some reason.

My cousins used to do that all the time... :mad_2:

td741

, NOTE: Please add 16 points to his feedback., --
not sonic said:

I had always thought that it meant: "Player 1 you're up!"... "Player 2 you're up!" since most of the early games would have players play alternatively and not simultaneously...