Acclaim gone? It's about time.

ProfessorFrink

Crossed Swords Squire
Looks like Acclaim may finally be dead. Personally, I feel bad for the people losing their jobs. But as a videogame fan, I'm a little glad to see Acclaim finally put to rest. I'm just surprised it's taken this long!

http://appsrv-4.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3134364

It seems like for the last ten years, they've just barely been treading water. I think the last Acclaim game I bought was Turok back on the N64. And even then, I felt a little embarrassed for buying one of its games.

I guess that I just can't think of Acclaim without remembering the multitude of horrid licenses and "me too" games that they have been responsible for over the years, especially throughout the early-to-mid nineties.

Any thoughts?

Baseley09

Hair Group,
A classicaly shit company, though there are a few jems in the past.

Shame 600 people lost their jobs.........leaves Juiced & The Red Star without publishers now.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Few Jams like:

- Darius Gaiden (Saturn)
- Marvel vs. X-men (saturn)

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Acclaim offered very little to the video game world in terms of quality but, its still kinda sad to seem them go. No more turak :crying:

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Did these guys ever even make any of their own games (besides Turok)? It seems like all the cool stuff they put out was just liscenses they acquired. Oh well, it still makes me a little sad to see a publisher go who's been around for so long.

A tear .... :crying:

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Other than their "Port" of NARC: No One Had The Guts Until Now! for the NES back in the day, I will certainly not be missing ACCLAIM one iota. Even Activision has manged to stay a viable company producing some good stuff since the 2600 days, but Acclaim is yesterdays used condom and it's gettin thrown into the landfill as we speak.

MERCENARY X99

Reality Check

World Hero
Baseley09 said:
A classicaly shit company, though there are a few jems in the past.

Shame 600 people lost their jobs.........leaves Juiced & The Red Star without publishers now.

I bet EA will pick up Juiced and The Red Star like they did with Burnout.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Liquid Snake said:
Few Jams like:

- Darius Gaiden (Saturn)
- Marvel vs. X-men (saturn)

Darius Gaiden was a Taito game...Acclaim was just the publisher. No real credit due.

I think you mean X-Men: Children of the Atom which was of course a Capcom game. Acclaim only published that too.

Acclaim's first-party stuff or the stuff that they licensed out to other people was all and all purile shit.

Good riddance.

AztekNinja

Fire Starter, Instigator, the guy from RE5
Reality Check said:
I bet EA will pick up Juiced and The Red Star like they did with Burnout.

Finally!! You got a nice sig. :D

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I won't miss Acclaim about the only, time i took notice of them. Is when they publish any thing by Taito. I wounder who will publish, for Taito now? In the U.S i guess Natsume will take over now.

Last edited:

slerch666

updyke,
Oh darn, no more crappy Turok games. The world will be such a barren place without them. *sarcasm*

I'm honestly surprised this didn't happen sooner... a LOT sooner. I still laugh at Nintendo for their 'Dream Team.' Dream Team and you put Acclaim, and Gametek and a bunch of other shitty companies on it? More like Nightmare Team.

No more Acclaim comics (or did they already stop). Maybe someone will pick up these assets and give us some good games based on them. Not that I'd be playing them anyway.