AES 3-6 Problem with scrolling red bands

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
I am posting this in the hope that someone knows what this might be. You can see an example here at 17:21.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3i14NeiBNY&list=UURBWJ9JeJ3Q8ssn_ibii-Cg

This has had the bypass mod done - well, the 3 lines to the caps cut. I am wondering if there's mod to fix this, or whether its a problem with the CXA1145P. If I was to guess I would think the chip needs replacing due to a problem on the red. The other colours appear to be unaffected, and strangely enough large blocks of red don't seem to be affected?

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Sorted! Needed a resistor between pin 8 and 16. Basically I think it was using composite and for whatever reason (presumed the CXA) the quality is poor. Now I would guess its using the RGB because its mega sharp now and no colour problem with red.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Wow the 3-6 gives a good video output using RGB =O

It does. Once you do the vertical line fix, the picture is nice and bright and very clear. That's why I tell people to not go by that gamesx list that says the 3-6 has the worst RGB output when the 3-3 is by far the worst (low output).

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
I've been comparing to my original revision AES and the 3-6 seems to give better output. I think I need to mod my 1st rev now. I've seen talk of two mods, one involves replacing the caps with 470uF 16v caps, and the other you've mentioned is a direct RGB output from the CXA. Did you change the output resistors there over what's on the stock model? The problem I've noticed with 1st rev video output is you get a sort of ghosting evident on the Neo Geo splash etc - where ever there's white on black. Do either of those mods fix that?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
For the 1st gen I usually just do the cap swap, the resistors are fine since they are 68ohm, not like they need to be 75ohm 1%. It clears up a bunch of stuff.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
For the 1st gen I usually just do the cap swap, the resistors are fine since they are 68ohm, not like they need to be 75ohm 1%. It clears up a bunch of stuff.
Thanks! I've ordered some good quality caps, so will give it a try and see if it makes any different to the ghosting on the black and white stuff.