AES carts, how sturdy are they?

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
Move my carts with trolley and they dropped on the floor, didn't have the chance to test the games but from outside they look fine.

FYI, the tray that holds my games have one thick bubble wrap. My question is do they break easily by just dropping on the concret floor? (all with cases and holding tray)

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
If I recall correctly,you have a very fine collection..sorry to read about your mishap..what are you doing in Detroit?! Didn't you reside in Minnesota?
The carts are durable.The games will work however there is possibility that some of the small clips holding the cartridge shells down in place could have broken off.I know when I had a nice collection,I would store the games in a large wooden PADDED padlocked chest.
BB

Move my carts with trolley and they dropped on the floor, didn't have the chance to test the games but from outside they look fine.

FYI, the tray that holds my games have one thick bubble wrap. My question is do they break easily by just dropping on the concret floor? (all with cases and holding tray)

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
If I recall correctly,you have a very fine collection..sorry to read about your mishap..what are you doing in Detroit?! Didn't you reside in Minnesota?
The carts are durable.The games will work however there is possibility that some of the small clips holding the cartridge shells down in place could have broken off.I know when I had a nice collection,I would store the games in a large wooden PADDED padlocked chest.
BB

I just looked at those most impacted games (8 of them in the top chest) and none of those clips have fallen off, no loose plastic piece(s) inside. My chests have 2 layers of protections (one thick bubble wrap, another layer with dessicant gel packs to prevent moisture which I highly recommend for all of us having expensive home carts). The chest stayed in tact because I have taped them up and they were falling vertically on the side as opposed to dropping those carts flat on the ground.

I'm actually in MN right now, my job is in Detroit (my career matters more than where I live at this point) and I come back here on a regular basis to hang out with my old buddies and take care of my collections in climate controlled storage unit in the mean time. I'm switching dessicant gel packs every 3 years, not just the chests but also small packs 5-10 grams for every game (depending on snap lock or old sof case) inside to prevent any possibility of molds.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You'll break the shell on the carts before you break the PCBs inside. All in all they are built pretty solid.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
A cracked tray is probably the worst you'll get.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Stay safe while you're in detroit friend.

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
Well before I left MN I checked all the carts in those chests and there's absolutely no damage to them, not even a slight scratch to the cart cases nor carts. I know my padded chests helped plus when it fell the actual chest was also held up by top bars so they didn't even come in contact on the floor. Nonetheless, those carts are indeed well made for arcade and SNK must have taken consideration on how operators can easily drop/bang up the cabs and/or carts.

It's a pity that companies don't make such quality stuff any more (not just video games), anything made today, profits come first.