AES Collectors: US or JPN (or EUR) region?

cr4zymanz0r

Kuroko's Training Dummy
This question is more geared towards people who also want to play most of the AES games they buy, but also enjoy collecting them. How big of a role does the region of the game come into play for you? Since the bios of the system determines the language, there's no gameplay reason to pick one region over another.

Do you go solely for which one is cheaper, get your preferred region if the price difference is reasonable, get your preferred region no matter the cost, go for the most rare one for rarities' sake, or what? I'd like to build up a nice collection but I only really intend to get games I really want to play. I'm curious as to how other like minded AES owners collect their games. For instance, I prefer US releases since English text on the box and such is more aesthetically pleasing to me since I'm a native English speaker. However, I'd really like to get Last Blade 2 but I don't think I can justify spending double or so just to get the US release for English packaging.

Also, if you buy a $700 game are you going to make sure to get your money's worth playing it or do you fear even using a game that expensive and just put in a glass case on a marble pedestal? :lolz:

hoop-jones

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
When i started collecting i went with a mixture of English and japanese titles...
My first game was a japanese KoF 2000 bought shortly after release. Then came Metal Slug 3 and KoF 2K1, both bought new from the Neostore.

When i realized that many English games are not only much more expensive, but some are almost impossible to get (not only Kizuna, but Ultimate 11, NTM, Stakes Winner, Ninja Master´s,etc.), i switched completely to japanese games.
I also like the cover art better...

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I'm a Japanese only guy as well. The JPN carts are more in line with my budget. And yes, I do play my expensive games. Having a $1,500 cart looking back at you while you play it is part of the experience. LOL

BRANDI

Franco's Trainer
20 Year Member
I have both collections so i've had to buy both worlds no matter what..

Generally speaking, from a gamer's point of view, i would search for the cheaper version (sometimes it's english, sometimes it's japanese)

From a collector's perspective the japanese collection is a little bit easier becaue of lower prices and higher games' availability. The english one (especially for games after 1994) is really pricey and rare to find (if not almost impossible in certain cases)

Last edited:

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
However, I'd really like to get Last Blade 2 but I don't think I can justify spending double or so just to get the US release for English packaging.

Try more than double. An English LB2 is in the 650-1000 USD range. I suggest going with a mix of JP and English titles. Some games are around the same value regardless of region, so go English on those and others like RB2, Ninja Masters, Last Blade 2 get the MUCH cheaper jp Versions.

N30_G30_speed

Angel's Love Slave
I really prefer japanese art in general and it also comes with a lower price. win/win

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I definitely prefer japanese. i think the artwork is better (especially on the spines) and the games are usually easier to find and cheaper.

also, i am all about consistency...no comingling of usa and jpn region games. when i first started buying neo geo games, i had a few usa homecarts, but quickly decided to sell them off and replace them with the japanese versions.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I consider both. I like having spine uniformity, at lease for major series (like all JP garou densetsu/king of fighters).So I keep that in mind if I say bought King of Fighters 94 JP, I want to get the rest in JP.

Artwork/colors look the best as well. US covers most of the time are a bad cropped version of JP.

Price is usually better for JP AES games, but still crazy on certain games.

Out of my nine games, I have 2 US.

Last edited:

arcwyvern

King's Dry Cleaner
In my opinion, an aes game is an aes game so I have a mixture of us and jp (21 carts total). I also play every single one of them because I spent money on them in order to play. I don't understand the "hands off" collecting approach to this hobbie.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I just began my quest to collect all JPN carts. I have a US Magician Lord since it is not in the card board box but it is a start. I just love the art style and look of the Japanese carts.

GAMEFAN

NeoGeo-Qatar

Neo Jihad
10 Year Member
I have both ENG & JP but the majority are JP games .. for many reasons :-

-Large library
-Cheaper (not that cheap nowadays :D)
-Easier to find
-better looking arts in my opinion ;)

grimeka

NEST Puppet
I only collect English version.
I´m frrom Spain so when I was a child I only saw English versions.. I don´t want Japanese version, I don´t understand this language..

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Thats not a reason anymore in the times of Unibios and such.

Only collecting jpn. games (except a few exceptions) due to better price and better art. I find the US versions pretty shitty looking with their gray border inserts.

Last edited:

N30_G30_speed

Angel's Love Slave
I only collect English version.
I´m frrom Spain so when I was a child I only saw English versions.. I don´t want Japanese version, I don´t understand this language..

dude get unibios and save tons of money, in fact you can set many games to spanish (if not all) ;) go for it grimeka
the manual will be in japanese as well but you can enjoy the design and artwork there too, without understanding the language

grimeka

NEST Puppet
dude get unibios and save tons of money, in fact you can set many games to spanish (if not all) ;) go for it grimeka
the manual will be in japanese as well but you can enjoy the design and artwork there too, without understanding the language

Yes, I know it my friend, but I prefer English versions! I love this versions..