American ex-pats in Japan -- Taxes?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Hey, all. I'm getting ready to relocate back to Japan, semi-permanently this time. At least a few years. Before this, even when I was working there, I did it 3 months at a time and kind of off the books. And the schools I worked for handled whatever they needed to handle.

But this time I'll still be working freelance for US companies, just living over there. So there will be no getting around taxes this time. I've heard their tax system is pretty byzantine, and I know the US will still be wanting something from me as well.

I'm not looking for a full explanation of the entire tax code or something, but does anyone have any tips or examples of problems they ran into that I should look out for? Thanks in advance.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
I'm sure Luke Morse has a video all about it. If you ever see him over there give him a kick in the nuts.

Seriously though, good luck on the move Kid.

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Their tax system literally makes 0 sense. In the city I was living in, I owed something around $800 in taxes, but my friend who was there the same amount of time as me in the next city owed $0. Makes 0 sense to me.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Their tax system literally makes 0 sense. In the city I was living in, I owed something around $800 in taxes, but my friend who was there the same amount of time as me in the next city owed $0. Makes 0 sense to me.
Can't wait! :multi_co:

I'm sure Luke Morse has a video all about it. If you ever see him over there give him a kick in the nuts.

Seriously though, good luck on the move Kid.
Thanks. And I'll keep a look out for this Morse character.