Anybody play Metal Slug past X?

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
So got into a Metal Slug kick of late and realized I never want to play anything past X anymore. 3 is a real chore to get through and the rest I might play for a second and get bored once you get to the ridiculous bosses and find yourself either wasting credits or giving up quickly because of the repetition of blasting through the stage just to get owned by the bosses.. I never want to play them online like 1,2 (overclocked), and X.

Is this normal for Metal Slug players, or am I just not seeing how much fun the later games can be?

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
The games up to X get by far the most play from me too, but I still revisit the later games occasionally.

If I play MS3, I pretty much don't bother with the last level.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
If I play MS3, I pretty much don't bother with the last level.

Yeah, I feel the same way. If I play with someone though I feel obligated to try. It's times like that I want a limit on credits.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
So got into a Metal Slug kick of late and realized I never want to play anything past X anymore. 3 is a real chore to get through and the rest I might play for a second and get bored once you get to the ridiculous bosses and find yourself either wasting credits or giving up quickly because of the repetition of blasting through the stage just to get owned by the bosses.. I never want to play them online like 1,2 (overclocked), and X.

Is this normal for Metal Slug players, or am I just not seeing how much fun the later games can be?

Stop credit feeding. Problem solved.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
So got into a Metal Slug kick of late and realized I never want to play anything past X anymore. 3 is a real chore to get through and the rest I might play for a second and get bored once you get to the ridiculous bosses and find yourself either wasting credits or giving up quickly because of the repetition of blasting through the stage just to get owned by the bosses..

Again the problem is the levels tend to be easy, get to the boss, get owned, go back to wasting time on easy level.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
2,3 and 5 are my favourites. ms2 is my personal favourite and the one i would of considered the best in the series if it wasn't for the slowdown. and although hating on ms3 is becoming a trend lately, i would still say it's the overall best metal slug game in terms of quality.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
MS3 has great quality and I love the alt routes. but the end of it loses all fun and becomes a real chore to play. I had a bunch of friends online that wanted to play it. It went from being happy to play to dreading it.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Again the problem is the levels tend to be easy, get to the boss, get owned, go back to wasting time on easy level.

You're playing an arcade game.

If you feel like you're "wasting time" on easy levels, use save state practice. What do you want? I'm guessing whatever you're yearning for doesn't exist, so that suggestion probably won't help you.

EDIT: I don't understand why you're calling it a "chore" and you're not even trying to get good at it. If you're just looking to spam through something online with your "friends", then "play" something else I guess. That kind of stuff shouldn't be a "chore".

Last edited:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I like difficulty or at least somewhat of a challenge throughout. Arcade games are there to take your money, not to let you play 10 minutes on a stage then take your money.

As for the chore comment MS3 is ridiculously long for the final stage and worry about tedious shit like breaking rocks while dodging aliens (for example). It's less about blasting the bad guys or avoiding enemy fire which is the game's strong points. None of the other stages felt that tedious. If you like it good for you I personally don't like it.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Arcade games are there to take your money, not to let you play 10 minutes on a stage then take your money.

They're meant to take you're money at any given point.

If you like it good for you I personally don't like it.

I don't like MS3. The problem here isn't the game though, it's your mentality/approach.

You're asking if something (disenchantment?) is normal for Metal Slug players. Well, I'm guessing any real Metal Slug player has accepted the notion that they're going to have to play the easier familiar parts of an arcade game before they encounter the more difficult unfamiliar parts. If they can't accept that, than they can practice using save states.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
I like difficulty or at least somewhat of a challenge throughout. Arcade games are there to take your money, not to let you play 10 minutes on a stage then take your money.

In a sense you're wrong. Just about every single Japanese developed arcade game was always designed to be 1CC'd and a lot of these games took 30 minutes or more to do so, the journey of trial and error to find the best strategies and spend money learning how to defeat it was the fun. Of course now there's a hyperbolic time chamber with emulation and save states. It was the American culture that was about taking as much money as possible from the patron, Konami was a big offender on their US versions of their arcade beat em ups. Shit like Revolution X and Terminator 2 are impossible to 1CC even using a TAS.

tl;dr Get gud.

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
I play the crap outta MS1 and MSX
I regularly toss in MS5 because I have a strange attachment to the music and levels.
I play MS2 when I get bored with MSX
I play MS3 when I feel like credit feeding and seeing some seriously cool levels
I never fucking play MS4. It's a bag of crap.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Maybe it's just me:
- i play 2 turbo & 4 most of time
- people hate 4 but it's my second favorite In MS series
- 3 is the least because the last level ;)

Caliburn89

Kabuki Klasher
I find I can't really play a lot of Metal Slug and really any shooter that doesn't have auto-fire after an upgrade for long periods of time. My finger just gets fatigued because of all the mashing you need to do.

Otherwise, I would say X > 1 > 3 > 2 > 4.

3 is good it's just really intense especially at the end, and I've been trying for lower credit clears these days.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
In a sense you're wrong. Just about every single Japanese developed arcade game was always designed to be 1CC'd and a lot of these games took 30 minutes or more to do so, the journey of trial and error to find the best strategies and spend money learning how to defeat it was the fun. Of course now there's a hyperbolic time chamber with emulation and save states. It was the American culture that was about taking as much money as possible from the patron, Konami was a big offender on their US versions of their arcade beat em ups. Shit like Revolution X and Terminator 2 are impossible to 1CC even using a TAS.

tl;dr Get gud.

I like the challenge, but at the same time I would say a lot of arcade games have quite a few cheap moments at times. The games were meant to kill people and get that money.This is why the fighting game ai are mortal kombat walkers, the puzzle AI rivals the Flash, Shmups with pin point laser death beams, and beat em ups with gankers/bosses who just bitch slap you if you keep pounding on them. With this in mind, this is why I like the checkpoint system better than spawn where you die. Sure someone might not 1cc, but you can't just credit feed and dump your bombs ad nauseam. That way everyone has to do it relatively the same way, shit is still at stake, but it means you just didn't 1cc every stage.

Also fuck Konami on Turtles in Time Arcade, making throws random along with damage.

Last edited:

Jackafur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
people really like metal slug 3. I dunno. I play it all the time. I'm still trying to beat it with out dying. Ive 1 cc'd it though. I like 3 better then X personally even if stage 5 has auto scrollers and is way too long.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I do play MS games usually. Play 1, X and 4 a lot. 3 is very nice, but dislike last level too. MS2 Turbo also gets play time. Less played is MS5, because I hate the freaking slide movement, but I like the music a lot so I play it from time to time.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
I love them all to death through the 3rd. 4 and above never felt quite right to me. I actually rather like the last insane stage in 3, it's the completely over the top finale swan song the series deserved to close a truly fantastic trilogy. 2 > X.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster

tl;dr Get gud.

It really has nothing to do with "Git Gud". It's about whether you find the game fun or not. A good example for this is 2>X. I think 2 is more fun because it's more challenging. I think they made X too easy compared to 2. Super Mario Brothers The Lost Levels was considered not fun by the majority, yet Super Mario Maker is fun because it's ridiculously hard in short spurts (or can be depending on the player level you try). It's all in what you like.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer

oh shit exactly this. I've been plowing away for a 1CC on the first game but can never get passed level 4 without dying.

As for the topic yes I love all the Metal Slugs and constantly revisit 3 The only one I dont really care for is XX and its probably because i never spent a whole lot of time with it

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Just about every single Japanese developed arcade game was always designed to be 1CC'd...

Exactly and there's nothing like the harshness of an arcade game. It's not simply designed to blast you off after three minutes, but to seduce you with the most basic gameplay encased in an audio-visual extravaganza. It's this oxymoron of simpleton sophistication that generates those immense tensions throughout your progress, ultimately turning you into an addict.

This harshness is our kief, hashish and opium pipe. This is our drug and our vice, because we all have an adrenaline addiction, no question about that.