Anyone here buy concert tickets online? What's a good site?

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
So I was looking at ticketmaster.ca , but they have some wonky system where I have to choose an amount to pay (only 3 options) and they "find" me one which results in nothing coming back.

I googled some other sites but some just look like a scam, like a person made the site in about 10 minutes, looks cheap and shady.

Where do you all buy band concert tickets online?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
1. The broker linked on the venue website.
2. If sold out: Stubhub.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Ticketmaster is the only game in town. They nickel and dime the shit out of you too. For a $12 concert ticket, I had to pay $7 in fees. Ree-dick-ulous.

To get the ticket in your hands, you have to pay $2 to print it WTF? Or you have to plan ahead and have them mail it to you for free, which takes at least 10 days.

Just risk it and buy your ticket at the door if it's a smaller, less known band.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
Meh, it's not a less known band, it's Metric.

Their site links to Ticketmaster which is a horribly designed site, I need to input a hidden word crap everytime it does not find me anything.

Is Stubhub a legit site? If I buy a ticket there, I actually have the ticket and won't be screwed over?

EDIT: For example, this doesn't seem legit to me http://orders.tickettriangle.com/ResultsTicket.aspx?evtid=1358050

EDIT2: Found some good tickets for a good price at Stubhub, but I'm not sure, it's like buying them secondhand or something, no?

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Toronto right?

TM.ca Works for me... I found 2 and 4 ticket sets in the 400 section.

What are you searching?

Likely, the better sections have been sold out.
And so hasn't the lawn. Cheap fucking Canadians.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
I just saw there's 2 dates, the ones with the lawn tickets are for the other show.

400 section seems really far back though, no? The Stubhub place has 200 section for $79

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I've done the Lawn/400 section thing when I was young... It's not so bad because of how an amphitheater is laid out.

But fuck it, go for the pit tickets.

I've bought a few times on Stubhub, and sold numerous times. I never had a problem.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
Yeah I think I'll go for StubHub, just sounds a bit sketchy, because it's just a normal dude who's selling it....what happens if the dude doesn't send it?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yeah I think I'll go for StubHub, just sounds a bit sketchy, because it's just a normal dude who's selling it....what happens if the dude doesn't send it?

There are guarantees.

1. He doesn't get paid until 5 days after you get your tickets (they track it).
2. If the tickets turn out to be bogus, there is a number you can call and try to fix shit with them.
3. Supposedly, you are fully guaranteed.
4. If all else fails, you can file a chargeback with your CC.

My baseball tickets are actually verified by the club. I don't even have to send anything. I just put in the barcode and stubhub checks the club's database and sends a pdf to the buyer.

aria

Former Moderator

I can speak personally that StubHub will bail you out --I had one "bad deal" in over a dozen uses as buyer/seller, and this is how it went:

[this was for the hottest college football game of the early season]
  1. I buy a nearly $300 ticket on the Monday before the Saturday game (and that was for the "cheap seats")
  2. Because its a holiday, they FedEx envelope doesn't arrive until Wed (StubHub simply emails the seller the Fedex slip so they just have to drop it off at the local Fedex box/store --I've been a seller too and it's great)
  3. The ticket arrives and its a restricted (student) ticket for the opposing school that I can't use
  4. I call StubHub and they confirm with Ohio State that I can't use the ticket, they then let me know they'll find me a new equal-or-better ticket as per their guarantee.
  5. It's Thursday. They call me when they find a new ticket, but due to an error, it's equally unusable. They promise to fix things.
  6. On Friday they let me know that, for major events, they set up field offices and that I will have a ticket --guarenteed. Just show up.
  7. I get to the temp office in a hotel near the stadium and they hand me a ticket worth at least $800 because that's the only single ticket they had, and they paid the seller that exact among and didn't charge me the difference --instead, the greedy student who sold me the ticket I couldn't use not only didn't get the $300, but had their CC charged the difference!

After that, I wholeheartedly promote them.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
What is their policy on scalping?

Do they let people just set their own price no matter the original cost?

aria

Former Moderator
What is their policy on scalping?

Do they let people just set their own price no matter the original cost?

Yes, and you can choose to have the price automatically start to go down (to a pre-set point) as it gets closer to the event. It's then up to seeing how much the market will bare.

Scalping is legal in a lot of places, in fact there's been a movement to decriminalize it (MN got rid of the laws several years ago to promote better regulation) --I assume it's because of lobbying by firms like this and the fact that lots of regular people enjoy doing it.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
I know it's pretty illegal here. Can't sell for more than face value or you get carted off.

PleaseKillMeNow

Aerobics Instructor,
eBay always seemed to work for me.

Ended up getting two two-day festival tickets for about what a single, one-day ticket would cost at the door awhile back, so I'm pretty much jaded.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
eBay always seemed to work for me.

Ended up getting two two-day festival tickets for about what a single, one-day ticket would cost at the door awhile back, so I'm pretty much jaded.

Are you going to any of the Flaming Lips shows? They're playing at Janus Landing here on the 12th.