Anyone here collect toys/Action Figures?

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
Just got the newest Transformers MP, Ultra Magnus with trailer Perfect Edition. :)

image.jpg

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I just picked these up from the post office this morning:

l3Toj9Yl.jpg

qRNm6tMl.jpg

Honey only gets a figure because tits. Otherwise she's totally irrelevant. :lolz:
eBjrIhK.png

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Just got the newest Transformers MP, Ultra Magnus with trailer Perfect Edition. :)

View attachment 21901
I always felt the G1 Ultra Magnus sucked so hard, it was tough because he was such a cool character in the cartoon, him and Cyclonus, both bad asses, remember that episode they were both abducted and set to battle against each other? Good times...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It always bugged me in that season that the toys' sizes were all over huge place. Galvatron was 5x the size of Rodimus, Magnus dwarfed Cyclonus, etc.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I know and Soundwave was the best bot of them all and my very first TF, so poseable, the rest were a stiff brick. It wasn't until this new series that mobility became a factor.

I know I'm not alone when I say that the later era figures had become way better up to Cybertron, after that I dunno, I don't like the quality build of these new figures. My favorite build is Beast Wars Neo, the Matte finish on the animal parts was way ahead of its time, so amazing even to this day. Beast Wars Transmetals is also quite remarkable. My RID Megatron suffered some flaking on the shinny parts, so sad. CryoTech Dragon is also flaking but that's 'cause is a repaint from Dragon Megatron, I bet the repaint was done here in the US.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
There certainly has been a drop-off in quality recently, and also they are making them smaller. The CHUG (based on comic/video game) lines that are fine, but the ones for TV show or movies are crap.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
^So fucking awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When the dinobots came out, I felt there was a huge advancement on the engineering aspect of these toys, I was only a kid at the time but even then I could appreciate the work put into them. I was even more blow away when scorponok came out with them orangy legs...good times.

xamot13

The Ultimate 11
I had about 30 import figures from the transformers car robots line, 21 binaltech transformers and about 175 kaiyodo action figures from EVA to the Revolted line. Most of the Motu four horesmen stuff. But just like my big red and mvs collection it got sold in lots on Craigslist. I really wish I could travel back in time and get that shit back. I miss this mother fuckers so much at times.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
What's the name of the red Dinobot with horns? My friend had that and we would temporarily trade when we were kids and I always wanted to keep it. I might buy it if I can find one.

MuppeT

War Room Troll
What's the name of the red Dinobot with horns? My friend had that and we would temporarily trade when we were kids and I always wanted to keep it. I might buy it if I can find one.

Slug? Wasn't he predominantly purple-ish?

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
There certainly has been a drop-off in quality recently, and also they are making them smaller. The CHUG (based on comic/video game) lines that are fine, but the ones for TV show or movies are crap.
Have to disagree; some of the movie figures have been fantastic. Even the latest movie line, which has been largely crap, has had at least a couple phenomenal figures.

fluxcore

Another Striker
^So fucking awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When the dinobots came out, I felt there was a huge advancement on the engineering aspect of these toys, I was only a kid at the time but even then I could appreciate the work put into them. I was even more blow away when scorponok came out with them orangy legs...good times.

IIRC the dinobots were another of the toy lines that Hasbro (et al) just reappropriated, so rather than them getting better at making toys I think they just got better at picking them :)

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
IIRC the dinobots were another of the toy lines that Hasbro (et al) just reappropriated, so rather than them getting better at making toys I think they just got better at picking them :)

Yeah, there's a good article on this in Super7 magazine, the issue with Mark the Eagle on the cover, if you can track it down. It talks about the different lines of Takara toys that Hasbro licensed and turned into Transformers. It's still not super clear. I'd like to know more about those original lines. I always figured they were based on some sort of show or manga or something, but I guess not?

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Yeah, there's a good article on this in Super7 magazine, the issue with Mark the Eagle on the cover, if you can track it down. It talks about the different lines of Takara toys that Hasbro licensed and turned into Transformers. It's still not super clear. I'd like to know more about those original lines. I always figured they were based on some sort of show or manga or something, but I guess not?

Some stuff from memory

New Microman: Micro-Change. Robots that turned into tools, SD cars
- Guns: Megatron, Browning
- Radios: Soundwave, Blaster, Soundblaster, Twincast
- Micro-cassettes: Ravage, Laserbeak
- Mini Cars: Bumblebee, Cliffjumper
Microman did have accompanying stories and manga, but not really concerning the Microchange toys
http://www.microforever.com/1983microchange.htm

Diaclone
- Car Robots: Sideswipe, Optimus Prime, Wheeljack, Prowl, etc
- Waruder: basic Insecticons Bombshell, Kickback, Shrapnel
- Power Dashers: mail in only Drill, Jet, F1
- Dinosaur Robo: Dinobots
There was a story behind Diaclone, that they were robots built and piloted by man. In the original toys they came with drivers, which is why guys like the Dinobots and Insecticons have cockpits. Waruder was the enemy. There was no cartoon or manga.

Tokuso Kihei Dorvack
Only 2 toys, Roadbuster (Mugen Calibur) and Whirl (Ovelon Gazette) came from this. There was also another, Bonaparte Tulcas that was considered but never used by Hasbro. This one did have an anime!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Armored_Battalion_Dorvack

Kiko Chutai Beetras
From this came the Deluxe Insecticons Ransack, Venom, Chop Shop and Barrage. It had a story:
http://1501bc.com/pretf/beetras.html

Super Dimensional Fortress Macross
Of course this is where Jetfire came from. Not much to explain here, you can look up Macross or Robotech if you don't know.

Mecha Warriors
This one is more obscure and the toys are rare as fuck. The US counter-parts are the Mini-spies that came with carded TFs. Those are not so rare. I am not aware of any story.

There are other ones that came from toylines without real stories.
- Shockwave (Astro Magnum): a gray version also sold at Radio Shack.
- Sky Lynx: Only had a prototype prior to being made as a TF. Good luck finding a picture of it.
- Omega Supreme: was a Mecha-Bot1 toy from Grandstand Converters

I probably forgot something.