Anyone here collect toys/Action Figures?

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
^Please do, I want to se if it's as awesome as the pics make it out to be. I'm this close to pulling the trigger on it :D

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Nice KO that Apollyon... I'm still wondering if I really want that one or if Hegemon is fine. I also still need to get that Skywarp to replace the dumb Walmart one I have now.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
3rd party isn't necessarily KO. If you want them to scale, then you'd have to go with Apollyon. Hegemon would be tiny next to MP figures.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
3rd party isn't necessarily KO.

That's just your opinion man.

Anyways, I'm not all caught up in the whole scale business. Shit hasn't been in scale anyways. I don't need to recreate episodes or anything.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Just a heads up on those ThreeA MGS figures. There is now a half size Rex for around $200 and Ray comes out soon.

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
I've been slacking on posting the pick-ups...got these a couple of weeks ago...

Kotobukiya Bishoujo Batwoman
61LZ7xwVFmL._SL1001_.jpg

Kotobukiya ArtFX+ Damian Wayne Robin
51Kr0ZvqhZL._SL1001_.jpg

And then I got these in the past few months...

DCU Bombshells Poison Ivy (Ant Lucia's art again looks MUCH better than the sculpt)
71Wi-KWsvwL._SL1500_.jpg

Cover Girls of the DC Universe Vixen (costume is whatever but I don't care for the head)
710toRptY8L._SL1500_.jpg

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
@Hikaru Ichijyo: Nice assortment of DC ladies. Vixen's costume is probably inspired by the outfit she wore on the old JLU cartoon.

EXP_advanced_kit1.jpg

I ran across this yesterday, and it looked interesting, so, I figured I'd purchase it and give it a try. It's from 1999 and the creation of the semi-famous artist/engineer/inventor Chuck Hoberman who's well known for his folding toys/structures. Even if you've never seen one of these Expandagon building sets, chances are good that you've encountered one of his expanding sphere toys (I can remember that one of my nieces got one as a Christmas gift years ago).

EXP_advanced_kit2.jpg

These are the basic building elements (Expanda-Square, Expanda-Triangle, and X-Linkage) shown contracted (left) and expanded (right). There are also a slew of tiny connector bits, and some pieces that lock an expanded structure into place, but you can build a lot of the stuff without them.

EXP_advanced_kit3.jpg

Cuboctahedron model contracted (left) and expanded (right).

EXP_advanced_kit4.jpg

Rocket model contracted (left) and expanded (right).

Expandagon won't be unseating LEGO anytime soon, but I had fun messing around with it. The pieces are better suited to making polyhedrons and mechancial objects, as the few examples of organic ones, like people or animals, pictured in the instruction manuals, ended up looking way too abstract in my opinion.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
That's just your opinion man.

Anyways, I'm not all caught up in the whole scale business. Shit hasn't been in scale anyways. I don't need to recreate episodes or anything.
Most Third Party isn't KO. By definition, it is not. Knock-off is when some bootleg company has stolen or recreated the mold of an official, already-existing toy. Like the flood of cheap Hong Kong imitation Buster Optimus Primes or MP-10s. But the third parties are creating original toys based on their own original engineering and designs. The fact they're ripping off Hasbro/Takara's IPs doesn't make them knock-offs.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
So I have been thinking for a while now if it is worth getting back into collecting TF toys. Any suggestions?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
So I have been thinking for a while now if it is worth getting back into collecting TF toys. Any suggestions?
How long have you been gone? You're coming back at a time they've simplified the toys for younger children and increased the hollowness of parts to counter the rising costs of production. It's not exactly a golden age right now, although there are a few gems, depending on your areas of interest.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I have been gone since the late 90's. So yeah, it's been a while.

If I get back into it, I was thinking of starting with the MP edition both US and JPN versions.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member

Maz often interviews other collectors for the TFSource blog. One of the questions he always asks is what advice would you give to new or returning collectors. That question usually is near the bottom of the interview. So read a couple of those from the different interviews and see if it helps.
http://tfsource.com/blog/category/featured-collectors-corner/interview/

But basically the gist is to figure out what it is you actually want to collect. The days of being a completist are over unless you are a millionaire.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Arrived today, it's a lot bigger than I thought, here's a 12" for scale. Cba to unbox it today because I got to get my boozing on, more pics later.

rk1xlg.jpg

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
I don't consider myself an action figure collector. However I do go nuts over action figures at times. I'm currently looking for a PITT action figure. From IMAGE/FULL BLEED

He's one of my top favorite comic book heroes. Since his debut issue. Think it was 91' if I'm not mistaken...

@M

20 Year Member
You should check out the Legendary Comic Book Heroes BAF (Build-A-Figure) Pitt; that thing is huge and pure awesome. Timmy comes as an accessory with the Mad Man figure from that line too (of course, if you're not buying the Pitt BAF loose, you'd be getting Timmy anyway, as you need all the figures to assemble him). Back when they were new, I got lucky and scored the full set of six figures for $48 at my local Wal-mart when they had them clearanced.

537358988_tp.jpg

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
Omfg dude, that's the one I want. They go for way too much on eBay and I haven't been able to justify spending the $$$. Meanwhile they've been consistently going up in price.

You should check out the Legendary Comic Book Heroes BAF (Build-A-Figure) Pitt; that thing is huge and pure awesome. Timmy comes as an accessory with the Mad Man figure from that line too (of course, if you're not buying the Pitt BAF loose, you'd be getting Timmy anyway, as you need all the figures to assemble him). Back when they were new, I got lucky and scored the full set of six figures for $48 at my local Wal-mart when they had them clearanced.

View attachment 25916

@M

20 Year Member
Yeah, comic book based toys generally increase in value over time, making them a good investment. Try hitting up some thrift stores, flea markets, rummage sales, etc.--you might get lucky and find Pitt for a steal, particularly from a seller that has no idea what he is.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I just ordered Soundwave MP-13B last night for my BDay.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I just ordered Soundwave MP-13B last night for my BDay.

I have little nostalgia for New Soundwave aka Soundblaster. Its a shame they did not sell the Ratbat separately, but I think you can find a KO of it.