Anyone play the Marathon Series?

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Dude I loved those FPS'ers on my Apple mac all thoe years back, anyone else played them? That's one series of game I wouldn't see a rebirth of.

I noticed in halo bungie put the marathon logo on Cpt Keeyes top pocket, neat-o :D

Wing Nut

Mr. Big's Thug
The Marathon games rock! We still play 'em on occasion. The best FPS games ever made in my opinion. An updated version would be amazing. I know they have UT versions somewhere.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
Marathon was teh bomb, I agree it was probably the best FPS ever created, the way they combined a fully-immersive science-fiction conspiracy without feeling like they shoehorned the story into the game. I still get chills from those compilers that pop out of the ground in an ambush. And those tracking projectiles, eek.

John

Ghost of Captain Kidd
That game was awesome. I think there are actually two mods for UT based on Marathon. There's Rampancy (multiplayer) and Resurrection, which is a single-player mod that I believe was made by Bungie themselves. :D It even has akimbo weapons and the like. wink

Giga Power

Host for Orochi,
madmanjock:
Dude I loved those FPS'ers on my Apple mac all thoe years back, anyone else played them? That's one series of game I wouldn't see a rebirth of.

I noticed in halo bungie put the marathon logo on Cpt Keeyes top pocket, neat-o :D
Stare at the Halo box (logo) long enough and tell me if you see a hint of Marathon anywhere else. buttrock

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
shit, ya own a mac, ya own marathon...
that simple....

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
there is about 100 references to marathon ni Halo....

Rubicon was some of the best times....

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Giga Power:
madmanjock:

Stare at the Halo box (logo) long enough and tell me if you see a hint of Marathon anywhere else. buttrock
I'm working on a FAQ for that, actually. Not just easter eggs, but storyline references all the way back to Pathways into Darkness.

Halo 2 = Cortana going rampant. Guaranteed.

I would love a remake of the series on a next-gen console, as I think it would probably be another blockbuster. Unfortunately, Bungie has already said it's probably not going to happen. :(

<strong>Know the tru7h</strong>

mog

Bead Banger
Marathon was great. Multiplayer was good too, it's a shame Halo got hijacked. The main character in the two also look identical.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
As far as I can remember, though Marathon 2 was available on the PC. You can download the demo or order the game from Bungie's site.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Rise from your grave.

It’s coming back in name at least, but now sounds like a team based Destiny like online shooter so might be lame.

Still, I will be watching out for it. The originals had a terrific vibe to them in the mid 90s.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
It was already known that they were working on something Marathon related for quite a while now. It was first made public about 10 years ago, but it might have begun development earlier than that. This was revealed back when Infinity Ward's founders (the creators of Call of Duty) sued Activision, which in turn exposed details regarding Activision's deal with Bungie regarding Destiny 1.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
“Extraction” based could be interesting.

Does that mean you must survive a certain number of waves/time before you’re extracted?

Or perhaps it’s like The Divisions Survival mode where you go in to a map, have to complete an objective, and then “extract” from the map (which includes fighting a boss while you waited to extract.)

Divisions survival mode was excellent. A not quite PvPvE Battle Royale.

Or will be that you must “extract” like in say Eacape From Tarkov?