Anyone playing torchlight? (diablo clone)

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
Torchlight just came out yesterday. For those who don't know, it's a diablo clone from the guys who did d1 and d2 (much of the original diablo team left blizzard after d2). It's a direct download only title, and it's only $20. There is also a free modding tool for the game that lets you alter damn near everything about the game, so I'm expecting some killer mods.

I've put an hour or so into it so far and I'm enjoying it. Skill system seems to be a cross between d1 and d2, with there being 3 classes with their own skill trees, but there are also spell scrolls that you can read and learn other spells as well. So far it's really easy though. I mean I started on easy, but I expected at least some challenge. I guess I'll see if I can continue on normal.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Looks pretty good from the trailer I saw. Definitely worth the $20. I'm probably gonna try it out this weekend. Shame there's no online co-op or anything.

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
Demo is on Steam.

Feels very much like diablo with a few bits of WoW chucked in! Very cool for the price.

Force

20 Year Member
Demo is on Steam.

Feels very much like diablo with a few bits of WoW chucked in! Very cool for the price.

It seems to take some cues from Fate (another dungeon crawler) and mythos (these guys' previous game) as well.

The game has a netbook mode as well. I'm not exactly sure what it does, but i have a feeling it positively affects performance so the game can run on low end machines.

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
I downloaded the demo last night and put about an hour or so into it. If I had a job right now I'd definitely buy the full game; very fun and easy going.

EDIT: Oh and I guess I should mention how awesome the pet mechanic is, seeing as how its the reason I even bothered to play. Really cool that you can gear your pet, have them cast spells, and even send them into town to sell off vendor trash.

Last edited:

Force

20 Year Member
EDIT: Oh and I guess I should mention how awesome the pet mechanic is, seeing as how its the reason I even bothered to play. Really cool that you can gear your pet, have them cast spells, and even send them into town to sell off vendor trash.

not to mention you can feed them stuff and turn them into something different.

Kaioh

Sakura's Bank Manager
REVIVE!

Ok, so Steam has Torchlight on sale for $9.99 until Monday. I went ahead and bought it last night and I'm having a blast. They also added Achievements and Steam Cloud support yesterday.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
This was fun for a couple of days, but suffers from the same problems that plagued Diablo 1; It gets so repetitive going down dozens of floors and there's no real strategy involved, regardless of what talent tree you go down.

T.A.P.

15 Year Member
Any chance this will get a physical release?

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
Retail release is due sometime early next year.

cannonball

15 Year Member
This was fun for a couple of days, but suffers from the same problems that plagued Diablo 1; It gets so repetitive going down dozens of floors and there's no real strategy involved, regardless of what talent tree you go down.

Pretty much. It does get very repetitive. I got burned out after a couple days of playing it nonstop. I think I'm at the end though so I should probably finish it.

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
Just got this a couple days ago as an early Christmas present.

Definitely reminds me a lot of Diablo 1 and 2, but it does have some additions like a pet that can attack for you, transform into other things, and you can even send to town to sell your gear.

Also, this game runs pretty well on netbooks (even has a 'netbook' mode).

Bottom line: if you loved Diablo 1 and 2 and want essentially more of the same, pick this up. If not, don't. :)

Cornerb0y

Krauser's Henchman
It's only $10 till Monday, I hope the demo downloads in time, if I like it, I'll grab it!

BigFred

Neither Big nor Fred, ,
Played it for quite a while.

I still prefer Titan Quest when it comes to "hack and slash" RPG's.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Played the demo, seems pretty fun and yeah - it's a straight up Diablo clone. I like the graphical style they took. Just wish it had multiplier.

It runs pretty well on my Netbook actually, it just takes a little bit to load. I think I missed it when it was $10.

I need to get a small mouse to use with my netbook.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Bump

EpicBattleAxe posted a "fact sheet" revealing that Torchlight is coming to XBLA soon.

Linky

Pretty cool, although I wish Torchlight was multiplayer.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I bought it on release, played it for a few hours and then lost interest.

It's Diablo without... Diablo? I didn't like the atmosphere.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
It's Diablo without... Diablo?

Still, it must be better than Sacred 2. Which I was playing through again a few days ago, that is...until I caught a game-killing-glitch. Forty hours right down the crapper. :mad:

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
It really needs co op. Shame they couldn't add it for XBLA.

I still play it on PC sometimes. Torchlight 2 should be out sometime this year.

Eric

Fight On!,
Torchlight 2 is up for pre-order and includes Torchlight 1 for now. Best part: only $20. Guess they thought better than competing directly with Diablo 3 and instead provide a nice little summer alternative to D3. Co-op is in and modding will still be around (which was one of the best parts about the first one). Too bad there isn't a more definitive release date.

PS: New pets!

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Cool.

Not sure if I'll be able to fit this in once D3 arrives but we shall see.

Great price.