Anyone using Datels Wifi MAX USB Dongle?

TrueTrials

Olly C,
15 Year Member
Just wondering if any of you guys are using the Datel Wifi Max USB Dongle to go online with either your DS or your PSP?

I've looked into buying a wifi router and for me its pretty much unnessary just for the DS and PSP as I run a wired router for my PC's, Xbox's and 360 so Im hoping to go the cheaper/easier route of the USB Wifi Dongles for the handhelds.

This is the one Im talking about:

You can click the pic to link you to the specs etc.. I'd just like to hear if anyone is using either and if you could give some opinions on it. Also does anyone know if theres any difference between the DS and the PSP version shown here as far as I can tell there just boxed up differently..

Let me know,

Cheers Olly

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
You can buy a cheap wifi router for as much or less than that thing costs.

TrueTrials

Olly C,
15 Year Member
Nesagwa said:
You can buy a cheap wifi router for as much or less than that thing costs.

In the UK for £18 I havent seen one for that price.. It just seems alot simpler to use the USB dongle as I dont really need a WiFi router, but hey if theres one that you can find in the UK for £18 shipped that works with both DS and PSP and has 4-ports for wired internet aswell then sure link me to that :)

Opinion's still wanted on this though please..

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
For my DS I'm using the official Nintendo USB WiFi adapter. I've been wanting to get something for my PSP but I don't want to go and pick up a wireless router when my wired one works just fine. I checked Sony's online site but didn't see anything there. Weren't they supposed to make a Media Manager kit or something?

TrueTrials

Olly C,
15 Year Member
Well I got bored today and ordered it anyway, It comes with some Media Management kit and has the software for both PSP and DS on the disk. It also has a few extra things for PSP icluding a .mpeg4 convertor and stuff too.

I had a look around for reviews and stuff and it looks perfect for what I want to do already owning a wired router.

I'll write back here once I've set it up to let you know how difficult is is to set-up with either unit and the performance of the connection and stuff..

I bought the PSP one off Play.com btw. (They seem to be the same but the PSP one has the PSP software garenteed and its also garanteed to have the setup stuff for the DS aswell shown in a review here)

Olly.

TrueTrials

Olly C,
15 Year Member
Perfect!

Super simple to set-up (I actually over complicated things before I realised it was pretty much plug and play and there was no need to mess with the settings)

I turned on a WEP Encryption 64-bit key and added that to my DS and PSP and that was it.

The PSP boots straight on, fast loading pages, pictures, no problems at all. (haven't tried any games online just the net)

The DS you don't need to change anything for, log to the same connection, straight into Mario Kart online, lag-free no problems.

The Media Manager Software that comes with the PSP version is very neatly displayed and easy to use with a simple video compression software included that can help get DVD's to your PSP too.

All in all a perfect purchase for me at the moment, first impressions are great everything I'd of wanted, reccomened for anyone who's in the same position as I was! Couldn't be happier :glee:

Olly.