Are there any good legit Blu-ray playback programs for the Mac?

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
So I got a new Mac and I want to be able to watch movies on the great display. It's 2013 and I don't buy stand def anymore.

Last edited:

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
Idk I am new to the Mac. I knew that there where some Mac lovers on this forum so I figured that this would be the best place to ask.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Idk I am new to the Mac. I knew that there where some Mac lovers on this forum so I figured that this would be the best place to ask.

VLC is the best freeware player on the nets... it plays almost EVERYTHING.... I'd try that first pal... because tbh... it's never failed for me...

xROTx

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
Thanks, I have only had it a week and I love it so far. I am just looking for a playback program not something to rip burn etc. If anybody else can recommend any programs of any kind I would be appreciative.

Last edited:

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
it came with a bd drive, but no way to play blu rays???

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,

Yeah... OS X is shit... comes with the Apple DVD player.... that plays absolutely nothing and has less features than a midgets ass...

Apple want you to pay for EVERYTHING... i'm surprised they don't charge you for opening the box the Mac comes in... $20usd per minute... OPEN THAT FOOKER FAST!

xROTx

No Mac comes with a Blu-ray drive.

Apple sells digital content and is centered on digital media, not physical disks. They've nearly completed moving away from disks entirely. OP is simply wanting to use an external Blu-ray reader with a Mac, I think. That puts you in the realm of 3rd party apps.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
wow, that sounds farking awful...
Thanks for the info gents.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
OP is simply wanting to use an external Blu-ray reader with a Mac, I think. That puts you in the realm of 3rd party apps.

thats what i think too.

and Rot is right. VLC is the best one to use.

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
I use MakeMKV to rip my Blu Rays, then I watch the MKV files via VLC or XBMC.

MakeMKV is free - kinda, it seems perpetually in beta and you get updated keys - you can buy it, but I'm not sure why when its been free forever on this basis. It does get updated and I have only had 1 BluRay that I couldn't rip.

http://www.makemkv.com/

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053 <- The key code is updated here.

There are some programs out there on the Mac that allow you to play BluRays from the disc, but I've never tried them.

I'm pretty much sure you can burn to blu ray too on the Mac if you wanted.

Borman

Genjuro's Frog
VLC works perfectly for playing Blurays in OSX. I dont use it often, but it does the job on the occasion I need it to.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
VLC, somehow, doesn't work for me. I use a program called "Free Mac Blu-ray Player", which does the trick for me.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Yeah... OS X is shit... comes with the Apple DVD player.... that plays absolutely nothing and has less features than a midgets ass...

Yeah, they ship an OS that doesn't support hardware that's not included in any of their machines. Total shit. I mean, they're so lazy to not include a Blu-Ray codec. The licensing fee would be less than $25 per machine for Apple. It's so dumb that they don't just add another $25 to their machines' prices so that we can watch Blu-Rays on our machines that don't have Blu-Ray drives.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Yeah, they ship an OS that doesn't support hardware that's not included in any of their machines. Total shit. I mean, they're so lazy to not include a Blu-Ray codec. The licensing fee would be less than $25 per machine for Apple. It's so dumb that they don't just add another $25 to their machines' prices so that we can watch Blu-Rays on our machines that don't have Blu-Ray drives.

I bought a Mini with no optical drive for a reason. If I want to use discs I'll use my PS3. I'm not paying more money for something I'm not gonna use.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
I did the exact opposite because I wanted a Mini with an optical drive :) Had to hurry to find one once the new drive-less models were announced.