Astro City Club

My Astro City head to heads are here! Need to clean these up good as there are quite a few scratches. Been using Magic Eraser to get the scuff marks out and ordered replacement stickers for the sides. Anybody have any advice on how to shine these bad boys up?
Astro2.jpg

ASTRO1.jpg

Astro3.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my cab, currently occupied by my lady. Got lucky to find this bad boy, especially considering it was delivered to my front door.

IMG_20120320_151530.jpg

The only downside is the screen burn in, which is only noticable with really light single color screens. I could not complain for the price though. Other than that, this cab is perfect (For me at least)

Now I need a new bulb for that sweet green glow.

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
Nice, a New Astro City 2. Don't see those as often. Only other person I know that has one is Dave_K

Thanks! Yeah, Dave's Astro II was one of the first Candies I ever played on, I loved it, in all its orange glory.

The speakers on this cab are really nice!

Its odd that the Astro and NAC seem pretty available, but the Astro II is very scarce. Was this cab released in between the Astro and NAC?

rvls

Crazed MVS Addict
Tracking down the larger illumination panel thing for my Astro is harder than I expected. I haven't done much w/r/t restoring it to stock since I'm kinda waiting on finding the panel first, then I'll go all out with fixing everything else. I love it though, my first cab and I'm already looking for a second (though trying to find something already wired for JVS since I want it for a Naomi setup). Here's what it's looking like for now since I haven't posted it on n-g yet.

Bi4Qjl.jpg

EDIT: And it looks like I had some glossy black spray paint laying around, so I just finished spraying the bezel and speaker grills, can't wait to pop it back on and see how it looks!

Last edited:
hey guys . just posting my astro city in here ( i have recently got a replacement control panel thats mint) i have had this for about 2 and a half years now and its been a brilliant machine
76372_10150127323061124_3523379_n.jpg

aclbandit

Another Striker
Just joined the Astro City Club. Do we have an official signature banner? I don't see one -- shall I make it happen?

IMG_20130726_200754_311.jpg

Last edited:

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Just joined the Astro City Club. Do we have an official signature banner? I don't see one -- shall I make it happen

nice man! quite a collection you have there too! The op of this thread has a astro club banner in his sig, but I think you should throw your hat in the ring and make one up too!

aclbandit

Another Striker
Just joined the Astro City Club. Do we have an official signature banner? I don't see one -- shall I make it happen?

If not, here ya go.
AstroCityClubScaled.png
Suggestions welcome.

nice man! quite a collection you have there too! The op of this thread has a astro club banner in his sig, but I think you should throw your hat in the ring and make one up too!
Missed that, apparently. :drool:

Last edited:

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Nice video Mosquito. Im going down a similar path to what you have using mame and all. I haven't set up a mame pc yet but have been using my xbox 360 with my Egret 2 and finding it more than adquate for my needs.

The thought of getting into pcb's doesn't really interest me because of the cost of them and the fiddling with batteries and fixing broken traces etc.

d0c_zaius

n00b
My blog all Astro City targeted may be relevant to everyones interest here :)

http://segamadebaddecisions.wordpress.com

My stereo mod, Instruction Cards I've made, artwork - it's all going here!

I used your blog many times as a reference to learn more about the Astro I bought. Many thanks!

I am also a recent member of the Astro Club (had it for a little over a month now). It was originally sitting in a garage and it was gutted to work with PC/Consoles. I restored it a little bit (fixed the bulb, locks and cleaned it), and now I'm sitting on a nice collection of 8 CPS2 boards and 3 MVS boards! Dream come true!

BP6T13aCIAAyeX9.jpg

Chase023

n00b
Just Curious, would there be any interest in a reproduced 100 Yen Decal just like the original? I mean made out of polycarbonate and etc?

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Can I join?

WP_001034_zps9f527910.jpg

Got this only a couple of weeks ago in the East Coast Candy Group Buy! It has some dings and rub, but the monitor is pin sharp 98% burn free.

p.s. I like the sig :D There should be a tated version though..

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
K-2, did the monitor squeal stop? It sounded like it maybe needed a cap replaced, not really sure though.

I'm glad you are happy with the cab! I'm assuming you have checked the jamma voltage output.. mine was dialed really high, about 5.4... a little more would have likely fried a game. I was planning on disassembling mine this weekend but it might get pushed back since I'm going to replace the speakers and they won't arrive until next week. I'm also waiting on a astro cp, the one that came with mine is basically scrap metal by my standards (too bad because it's a Blast 1L4B, which I was actually in the market for). Also thinking about replacing the coin slot with a chromey, we'll see.

I'll get some pics up when my lil'plumper is all cleaned up ;)

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
the one that came with mine is basically scrap metal by my standards

your standards are astronomical when it comes to panels.

(too bad because it's a Blast 1L4B, which I was actually in the market for)

I offered you mine, I wasn't picky about what I needed (any 2L12b) but no that wasn't good enough for you :p

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Hey chem,
The squeel did stop, ECZangief dug up something about MS-8 getting loose around the ferrite core in the flyback see here:
http://www.arcaderestoration.com/Articles/1/Bob+Roberts/16/Singing+Monitor+Trouble.aspx

Anyways it has all the symptoms of that if knock the side of the monitor I get a squeel, but where it sits currently it doesn't appear to be doing it, at least to the degree that I notice (I play drums and and may be a bit deaf).

I did put a multimeter on as soon as you mentioned it in the other thread and I was reading 5.2 volts so I turned it back a couple and it's running 5 on the dot now. I haven't had the heart to dismantle it for cleaning/paint It will happen eventually I'm just taking my time with it. I'm waiting on sticks and buttons from akishop.

I still haven't beat Ibara yet...(jokes)

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Did a bit more scrubbing and sanding,
WP_001074_zpsb9f45e9f.jpg

Also got new LS-32s and Sanwa OBSF-30RGs... And a member of this very forum did a great kindness and sent me a new plexi marque holder gratis. Thanks again dude, you rock:buttrock:
I love this damn thing.

ECZangief

The Real Al Bundy
Monitor is looking super sexy.

And Sanwa's RG buttz are pretty great. The silkiest Sanwas I ever played on were these really old RG buttons that I got in a used Sega panel. I dont know if they were perfectly worn, or if they were higher quality back in the day, but they were the juciest buttz ever.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Dang.. Guwange such a great game, one of cave's best. Good luck with the final pattern, I never made it though those final seconds of the game. I think I'm close to deciding on what color buttons I'm putting on my panel.

I was going to go with the fruit loops scheme:
10443619324_e0a3f8e481_z.jpg

...but after some thought, I may go a bit more "conservative"
10545412143_e6393fb61c_z.jpg

thoughts?

WupWuh

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Chem, the all green looks really nice and classy. Fruit loops version looks real fun, maybe save that line up for the weekend? :) Those are the Virtua Fighter colors, right?

WupWuh

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I broke down my Astro for a clean up, wired everything back up and now I get this....

Vertical collapse? Methinks I need to do a cap kit, but I'm open to other suggestions as to what is causing this.