Backup ram error on a 2 slot mvs please help.

Ace

New Challenger
As subject I have a 2 slot mvs motherboard that comes up with error,

Backup Ram Region
Address - 00D00010
WR - 5555
RE - B240

Even using raz's universal bios I am unable to load any games. Now I am pretty sure this due to one of the surface mount rams but which one exactly?. Also I already have some Sony CXK58257 ram's which are surface mount, are these compatible?. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ace.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Try putting all dipswitches in the on position and powering up your board before you replace anything. Sometimes the RAM just gets corrupted.

Ace

New Challenger
Tried that topher, before I did that all I would get is the green screen that you usually get when you turn a mvs motherboard on but it wouldn't get past it and kept resetting.

channelmaniac: Yes to what?.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Ace said:
Also I already have some Sony CXK58257 ram's which are surface mount, are these compatible?
Ace.

Yes to this.

Can you desolder & solder in some surface mount SRAM chips?

Ace

New Challenger
Yeah that won't be a problem, would help if I knew which was the bad ram though. :emb:

Ace

New Challenger
Ok I replaced the two rams with two known good ones and fixed a trace. Now I get this error message http://www.zen91691.zen.co.uk/mvs/newerror.jpg.

I guess it wasn't the ram so I replaced them for nothing and now have to search for yet more broken traces. :(

Any suggestions to where the broken trace(s) maybe judging from the error message?.

Ace

New Challenger
Wow 10 years, I pulled this out to look at it again today. :) I finally found the broken trace, it was on the top corner near the battery. A trace going from a transistor pin to a pin on the near by 74HC32.

My mistake all those years ago was not using a logic probe, took about 5 minutes to find the broken trace.

Hey Guys, new to this forum. I cant start a thread for some reason yet, so I am hijacking this one........really sorry. Maybe someone can PM me with the technical knowledge I need to fix the issue I have. I have a very nice clean and almost new looking 6-slot pcb that needs a repair. It boots up to a "work ram error" and specifies ADDRESS 00105A80 WRITE 5555 READ 7555

Maybe someone can circle with rams I need to change. Pictures below:

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg