Basic Mod Equipment

Hungkuen

Mr. Big's Thug
Hi I was wondering what basic equipment you need to start doing some hopefully more simpler mods?

I guess a soldering iron maybe a good start but there's a few out there. I think a miniature smaller one is the way to go I think? Also I'm not sure if I'd need a magnifying glass for the chips with thinner connections?

I'm not sure if there are different types of solder and which is best etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
A decent temperature controlled soldering station is an absolute must for any serious work. I use (and recommend) the Hakko 936.

You want something at least as good as 60/40 solder (60% tin, 40% lead). Lead-free solder is shit and a prick to work with.

A magnifying glass does come in useful, as does a good lamp. I assume you already have a multimeter.

A decent desoldering tool is also an absolute must. At the very least you want a good quality solder sucker such as the Goot.

desoldering-pump-solder-sucker-solder-removal-tool-l304108-15897n.jpg

You'll also want a nice set of small files and drill bits for making holes for switches, plugs, etc.

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
Hakko 936 like Hewitson said or a Weller Wes51, which is what I use but the Hakko is generally slightly cheaper to buy.
Different sizes tips for the iron, ETA, ETDD, ETS, ETD if you get a weller should cover just about anything youd want to do.

For the solder dont go and buy the cheapest kind you can get. Get a good brand one. Kester 44 or 245 is good.

Isopropyl alcohol 99,9% pure , to clean the boards once your done.

Solder braid, comes in handy.

Dremel tool with snake attachment.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
It all comes down to personal preference but I find the Dremel a bit too "quick" and easy to make mistakes with. Go nice and slow with a small file and you can't go wrong :)

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
Oh yea, I had a few oops moments. But its good for "rough" cuts then finishing off with files.
If you do get a dremel type tool, make sure it has a very low speed setting. That way you will have more control with it.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
Depending on what you're building I find a hot glue gun is pretty useful.

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
depending on the project , mini alligator clips are useful for testing connections before committing to solder them.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I think that for starting out, A solder station might be too much.....

Just get a decent iron.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It all comes down to personal preference but I find the Dremel a bit too "quick" and easy to make mistakes with. Go nice and slow with a small file and you can't go wrong :)

I use a Dremel and cut about 2mm from the line and then finish with the file. But I agree that it is very easy to make a mistake, especially when using it on plastic. once the plastic heats up it cuts like butter so you have to watch out.

ghibben

Zero's Secretary
I have basic cheap tools. I have a cheap soldering station from Harbor Freight, has a magnifying glass, clamps, solder iron holder and an LED light it was like $10.00. Soldering iron, solder, desolder wick, wire cutters and an assortment of small pliers.

I started putting mod chips in playstations back in the day with just soldering iron and some solder. I would just strip wires with my fingernails. Point of the story is dont invest in expensive equipment unless you need it.

Hungkuen

Mr. Big's Thug
Hi thanks again for all the cool info.

I think a solder station maybe too much and overkill for my situation. I'm not a pro / larger scale, just a home guy trying to do the job at a reasonable - good standard and get the job done. Being too much of a perfectionist like I can be could just cock things up esp with soldering etc. I guess getting the thing to work with reasonable - good conections without breaking anything I think is good enough for now.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Shit tools cause nothing but frustration and aren't worth wasting the time or money on, beginner or not.

Better off learning with decent quality stuff.

Hungkuen

Mr. Big's Thug
Hi yeah I'm not really after shit tools or the cheapest possible ones I can get. I know you gotta spend a bit sometimes to hopefully get what you need. I've taken some points on board here and will use them but even if I did have a lot of money I'd still try to get equipment that hopefully suited my needs and situation. Concerning an iron specifically I think I need a miniature one with quite a thin tip. A temp controlled one would be nice but out of my league a bit for now. However I'll do some searching tomorrow maybe. I'm looking for reasonable - good stuff don't get me wrong but it doesn't need to be very good, excellent or the best. I just feel my situation, what I want to do for now and also my wallet won't warrant it. If I get more into it, more complex stuff and feel my present iron is letting me down, I'll maybe have a re-think then. As I said I'll get the low downh on some prices and decide from there.

Again thanks for your cool info, I'm not trying to doubt you or your high standard from the sounds of it, just perhaps not me, my situation or my standard.

mrbippers

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I came across this tutorial on how to make a really cheap temp control station for a standard soldering iron. I've got an extra dimmer switch laying around and will probably try it out soon. For the time being I just have two soldering irons, a 15w and a 30w. Keep both plugged in and if the smaller one can't melt a point effectively I hit it with the big guy.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Shit tools cause nothing but frustration and aren't worth wasting the time or money on, beginner or not.

Better off learning with decent quality stuff.

Truth. Ever since I bought my soldering/desoldering station it's made things a shit load easier for me. Of course if you aren't doing high volume stuff then I wouldn't recommend getting what I got, it was $400.

Hungkuen

Mr. Big's Thug
Although I wasn't too sure about my need for a good temperature controlled soldering station at first, I think I may have to bite the bullet and consider getting one with perhaps some other good extras equipment wise. I may have actually doubted some of you at first when I said I wasn't trying to but with this I know very little.

I think Hewitson suggested the Hakko 936 and shadows the Weller Wes51. I really genuinely appreciated the help and advice from you guys and also from everyone else on the thread.

I did do some research equipment wise as well like I said I would. In terms of these soldering stations I think the closest place for these types of things is USA I think. I'm in the Uk. There are some over here but I don't know how good they are.

I'd be starting with fairly basic mods and then building up. This equipment may appear to be overkill perhaps at first but it could serve me in the future if I get to more difficult mods and the equipment if hopefully better may make my learning less painful.

Thanks again and anything would be brilliant.

FA-MAS

Kula's Candy
That's a good price on a temp controlled soldering station. I wish I had looked around more before having to buy multiple irons for different heats.

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
What kind of soldering stations did you find in the UK/Europe?

Hungkuen

Mr. Big's Thug
Hi I'm sorry about the late reply. Here are a couple of links to what I found in the Uk. Both are main supply type places.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?MenuNo=69786

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/b...ch_003&Ntt=soldering&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial

They also sell the other stuff I was after but I don't really know if it's the right stuff or good enough etc. If anyone checked out the accessories / other stuff I was after on the sites that would be well cool and extremely appreciated. The second site is quite big so a search via the search bar is sometimes an idea.

Anything again would be really appreciated.

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
Well maplin only sells no name/maplin rebranded stuff so I have no idea.
Fearnell has xytronic stations which I heard were good.

There's also this : http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...d-keywords=AOYUE++Soldering+Station&x=13&y=15

Hakko chinese knockoff Aoyue, which are supposed to be decent and you can use Hakko tips apparently with them. If its something that will last you years....I dont know.

Would probably be cheaper to get someone in the states to send you one over if you want a good quality station.

Hungkuen

Mr. Big's Thug
Hi I'm sorry about the late reply. I've also done a bit more research into the irons but not much development.

The discussion with this is also on this thread if you want to check it out near the bottom of the thread;

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218088

Or I could post the info here at a later date and when I've done a bit more research and hopefully found out more info.

jew90

Geese's Thug
You're in the UK and don't know about Antex?

They make good UK soldering irons.

Something like the 660TC would be a good start station, circa £100 gbp. Loads of bits available for it as well as replacement irons.

The 660TC soldering iron station from Antex is a complete temperature controlled station which has been designed to be wall or bench mounted.

•Station includes power supply, ST6 iron stand and a lightweight 50W industrial grade soldering iron fitted with silicone heat-resistant cable and a 2.3mm bit
•Temperature range continually adjustable from 65°C to 450°C
•LEDs indicate mains power and iron power
•Housed in a robust ABS enclosure, which is suitable for the most demanding industrial and educational environments
•Replacement soldering irons are available separately
•Fully compatible with the latest European EMC and CE regulations

If you're more serious you could get the 690SD, these are about £200.00

Antex 690SD Soldering Station

The 690-SD is a multi-programmable, digital read-out, static dissipative temperature controlled soldering station and comprises:

· 690-SD Static dissipative soldering unit
· SD50 Static dissipative temperature controlled soldering iron
· ST6 Bench stand

Built to meet US MIL Std2000A and EN 100015-1, the temperature range is 65 to 450° C and repeatability to 2° C. Programme selection and settings are made using three buttons. Each station is shipped with easy to use multi-lingual instructions. The digital read-out displays the following:

· 2 memory settings
· Centigrade or Fahrenheit
· Dial-in bit selection for accurate offset
· Lockable with PIN security
· Choice of language
· Basic diagnostics

Theres a 690 on ebay right now that ends in 39mins that is at £55.00.. bargain price :-)

Check out http://www.antex.co.uk/ for more info

Hungkuen

Mr. Big's Thug
Hi ok I got the above soldering station. It'll have to be my main Christmas and Birthday present combined. Thanks a lot for that.