BATTLEFIELD 3 - Launch Thread [10.25.11]

Curt

apostate

Well the day is finally here, Amazon told me they shipped my copy of Battlefield 3.

Still reeling after Batman, but this game really does seem like a landmark, pivotal generation change.

So, where did you pre-order, what bonuses? What console, and the big one, Did you build a rig to play it or upgrade yours, how are you rollin for this momentous release?

Did you play the Beta? Are you going to any midnight releases?

Last edited:

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Ya know, I was super pumped about this game. That is before I played the beta and was extremely underwhelmed. I should have known the graphics being shown were PC, but a little part of me kind of hoped it would look almost as good on home consoles. The other major part was the gameplay felt off. The flashlight that blinds you? In the middle of the damn day? Worst of all, sniper aim lasers blind you as well? The thing that was supposed to be a dead giveaway now gives the other guy the advantage?

Anyway I'm still playing a ton of Bad Company 2 and 1943 so I'm not too much in a hurry for this. Here's hoping the full game ends up better. I still imagine it will be a ton of fun, but it's another $60.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Ya know, I was super pumped about this game. That is before I played the beta and was extremely underwhelmed. I should have known the graphics being shown were PC, but a little part of me kind of hoped it would look almost as good on home consoles. The other major part was the gameplay felt off. The flashlight that blinds you? In the middle of the damn day? Worst of all, sniper aim lasers blind you as well? The thing that was supposed to be a dead giveaway now gives the other guy the advantage?

Anyway I'm still playing a ton of Bad Company 2 and 1943 so I'm not too much in a hurry for this. Here's hoping the full game ends up better. I still imagine it will be a ton of fun, but it's another $60.

The Beta was likely a bad indicator of how things are going to look in the final product. It looks like they're doing an HD Texture Pack add-on for the console, though no confirmation yet if this is a download only or if it will be on a 2nd disk for Xbox or Bluray for PS3. There is an article up at GSMArena talking about: http://blog.gsmarena.com/going-to-p...sole-then-you-better-get-the-hd-texture-pack/ though that's not going to be the best source of info for gaming. I'm sure one of the other gaming sites has more info on it, but supposedly it's 1.5GB of higher res textures that completely amps the game's graphics. There are some examples in that link to show the difference.

Curt

apostate
The texture pack is included on the PS3 disc and a 360 Download.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Sweet, thanks for the video. I had no idea it was such a beta. I assumed with it being so close to the release date it would be pretty much be like the full game. I definitely want to see some reviews and full on video of the game once it's released.

Curt

apostate
Sweet, thanks for the video. I had no idea it was such a beta. I assumed with it being so close to the release date it would be pretty much be like the full game. I definitely want to see some reviews and full on video of the game once it's released.

Websites are making a big deal about how the "Day One Updates" will completely change the experience and was making reviewing the game difficult.
So we really have no idea until tomorrow.

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Websites are making a big deal about how the "Day One Updates" will completely change the experience and was making reviewing the game difficult.
So we really have no idea until tomorrow.

what websites? from what i gather the devs said it was close to done with some minor tweaks. I normally dont know about any of this type of stuff as i dont follow but before pre-ordering i did a bunch of reading Ea/dice

anyway i dont normally dont get release day games (specially ones that i suck at) but amazon had a $20 credit so i figured why not and got it for the 360.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
I have a $30 gaming credit from buying batman last week that I'll use plus get another $20 credit for future game at k-mart.

They also offer $30 off the ps3 wireless headset - anyone know if it's worth $70?

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
is the torrent up yet?

seriously though, I don't know if I want to give this game a chance. I'm a big fan of the splinter cell series, but fps-wise I seem to only care for ones that take place in the distant future(starseige tribes) or filled with zombies(left 4 dead).
I tried playing call of duty before and didn't like it.
is this likr the typical modern day shooter(just with multiplayer) or is there something more?

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
BE ADVISED : Japanese 360 owners, this game is region locked, do not buy the US version.

EA/DICE spoiled me by making BFBC2 and Mirror's Edge region free... :(

So, anyone want to buy a mint condition copy of 360 BF3?

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,

PM me. My friend wants me to pick it up so we can play together, but I have little interest in it. Maybe if I play it with him it'll grow on me. At least he'll stop bitching either way.

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
BE ADVISED : Japanese 360 owners, this game is region locked, do not buy the US version.

shit. i was thinking about picking this up. back to cave games i guess

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
PM me. My friend wants me to pick it up so we can play together, but I have little interest in it. Maybe if I play it with him it'll grow on me. At least he'll stop bitching either way.

PM sent.

shit. i was thinking about picking this up. back to cave games i guess

Glad my warning helped at least one person.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"

I would not have guessed you'd be into this game.

I doubt I'll get it, my friend had the demo and it didn't look that special. And, it was a little glitchy. I'll admit I do like the arcadeyness of CoD.

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
EA servers crash on release day of there big title? Lol

funny to read about all those people that stayed home to play on there forums. All of a sudden everyone is a cod fan

Last edited:

Curt

apostate
I've only put a few hours in but the game is clearly phenomenal.

The first thing I was struck by was how DICE has left it's Mirror's Edge fingermarks on it. I love it, it reminded me alot of what Mirrors Edge might be like in a Warzone, I hope more shooters start integrating more dynamic level movements, and less QTE style stuff. And the idea of a Frostbite 2 Mirrors Edge 2 that looks BETTER than Battlefield 3... Well shit, think about that... I think it'd be awesome.

I played the game on PS3, the game is beautiful, and maybe the best looking PS3 game out, but compared to all the footage I've been seeing from the PC, it just looked frankly like garbage. (In 720p). There was alot of bad textures no AA that I could see but overall I'm still very happy with it. But I intend to build a PC so I can enjoy this Maxed out at 1080p.

Last edited:

Heath

, cheyne stoking
I played the game on PS3, the game is beautiful, and maybe the best looking PS3 game out, but compared to all the footage I've been seeing from the PC, it just looked frankly like garbage. (In 720p). There was alot of bad textures no AA that I could see but overall I'm still very happy with it. But I intend to build a PC so I can enjoy this Maxed out at 1080p.

Games stunning maxed out, really enjoying it so far.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
just got this on ps3 if anyone cares to add me up.

I see a lot of hate for the graphics of the ps3 and xbox 360 versions.... which shows the ridiculous standards people seem to have, bf3 on consoles is still a awesome experience and I actually prefer to play this series on console just because the player base is a much lower level over all, meaning I don't have to commit to the game too much to remain competitive, and I like chilling back on my couch with the big tv and just relaxing while I bust some caps.

EDIT: I must say, I forgot how damn fun this series can be, maybe I won't regret having to wait for uncharted 3 after all.

Last edited:

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Soo... I'm not too terribly impressed with this game, but I didn't really expect to be as I'm not a fan of the series in general. The campaign wasn't too bad and the co-op is fun while it lasts, but if I don't warm up to the online by the time the DLC hits, I'll be getting rid of it. No fault of the game really, I just don't like big open maps with lots of players and vehicles. I'm more a fan of CQC on foot. I will be picking up MW3 at some point, but probably not until next year. I think I'm just sick of the military shooters. Gears has everything I need.

I will say this though... the music in this game is fucking awesome. I downloaded the soundtrack and it really reminds me of something John Carpenter would do. Snag it up if you dig moody, dramatic synth stuff.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
Soo... I'm not too terribly impressed with this game, but I didn't really expect to be as I'm not a fan of the series in general. The campaign wasn't too bad and the co-op is fun while it lasts, but if I don't warm up to the online by the time the DLC hits, I'll be getting rid of it. No fault of the game really, I just don't like big open maps with lots of players and vehicles. I'm more a fan of CQC on foot. I will be picking up MW3 at some point, but probably not until next year. I think I'm just sick of the military shooters. Gears has everything I need.

I will say this though... the music in this game is fucking awesome. I downloaded the soundtrack and it really reminds me of something John Carpenter would do. Snag it up if you dig moody, dramatic synth stuff.

couldn't blame ya for having a bad time in bf3 online, the game's biggest strength can also be it's biggest weakness IMO, if you are playing alone with no friends it's pretty much just a matter luck that you land on a squad that actually works well together and you NEEED that to get any enjoyment out of the game really, this game fucking sucks when your team has no communication or at least a general strategy.

I really enjoy this game online, but since I have only one friend on my list playing it, alot of the times I am going into a team of random people alone and unfortunately a good percentage of the time I am on a team of random idiots all doing their own thing.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Well got this for 360 and playing it online a bit. So far really liking the multiplayer. Just gotta get used to these maps.

If anyone is up for some games, my GT is: Jedah Dohma.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Well got this for 360 and playing it online a bit. So far really liking the multiplayer. Just gotta get used to these maps.

If anyone is up for some games, my GT is: Jedah Dohma.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on how the conquest mode is in this title.

Rush mode can suck me cock.