Best fight stick for 360?

cyriades

Super Spy Agent
Looking for a good fight stick to use and can't decide on the best, even after reading reviews on Amazon. What is everyone's recommendations? I'm mainly looking at Hori's Real Arcade Pro EX and MadCatz's Street Fighter IV Round 2 FightStick Tournament Edition. I just want a stick that's easily moddable, arcade quality, and playable on PC as well :spock:

I've got the Madcatz SE stick fully modded with Sanwa parts. Saved me some money, and it's every bit as good, the TE is just larger. Use it on 360 and in MAME all the time, and it's awesome.

caleb1883

Super Spy Agent
I'm used to playing on arcade machines, and if a stick moves in the slightest I get super frustrated. I found the Madcatz SE too small to prevent it from sliding around. Then again, even the stock Hori Real Arcade Pro slides around on me. I saw a UStream of Japanese arcade players playing HD Remix with an HRAP EX, and I noticed they had a piece of no-slip material like you have in a shower under the stick to prevent it from sliding. Apparently other arcade players have the same issue. The Madcatz TE though, doesn't budge with me, so I would recomend that.

However, if you really want something solid and have lots of money, the Hori VLX Premium is as close to having an actual candy cab control panel as you can get. Because it basically is a full size control panel with a USB cable hanging out of it.

cyriades

Super Spy Agent
Solid information...The stick not sliding around would help a lot - I love my MAS Systems stick I use for my Neo Geo 1slot / Supergun, full sized :vik: I'll have a look at Hori VLX Premium, then :)

j_heiger

Crossed Swords Squire
I have used an HRAP before and had no complaints. But i have a tournament edition and love it. I really think you cant go wrong with either to be honest.

Izsomean

Quiz Detective
As far as modability goes, the TE seems to be the stick of choice...If the sanwa feels too loose, add a seimitsu spring. Putting a seitmitsu stick seems extremely easy too (haven't tried it though) as apparently you only need to mount it sideways then unscrew its pcb to rotate it. No need to make new holes or anything...

Anyway choice is easier this side of the Atlantic as a new TE costs around 100 euros, wheras importing an equivalent Hori or MAS usually ends up around 160/170 euros. :oh_no: you guys are lucky :/

Last edited:

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
I saw a UStream of Japanese arcade players playing HD Remix with an HRAP EX, and I noticed they had a piece of no-slip material like you have in a shower under the stick to prevent it from sliding.

I always use that nonslip stuff they line kitchen cabinets with. It comes in a roll, it's cheap, and lasts forever. It works on carpet too, if you're a floor-sitter.

This looks exactly like my stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/Griptex-Wonderliner-240-Inch-Standard-White/dp/B000H7VGTK

toodles

Zero's Secretary
Looking for a good fight stick to use and can't decide on the best, even after reading reviews on Amazon. What is everyone's recommendations? I'm mainly looking at Hori's Real Arcade Pro EX and MadCatz's Street Fighter IV Round 2 FightStick Tournament Edition. I just want a stick that's easily moddable, arcade quality, and playable on PC as well :spock:

The 360 VLX is hands down the best, but it's very expensive. Hori often has them discounted to $240ish during tournaments they sponsor, so it may be worth it to wait for when they do that and save yourself $60.

Next down is the new HRAP, roughly $120. Good stick, easy to work with.

Tournament Edition FightSticks can usually be found pretty cheap (MadCatz had a B1G1 deal online that may still be in effect) and tons of people have them. Good heft and feel to them, but working on them is a pain and there are a few common electronic problems with them that can't be fixed by end users (disconnects and trigger failure). But, they're uber common and easy to find people who can or who have worked on them if needed.

The SE model FightStick is just meh to be. I dont care for the case, and the electronics have the exact same problems the TE's have. Yes, they're upgradeable, but that still doesn't fix my two gripes about the electronics and the shape/size.

The Hori Fighting Stick VX is probably my favorite. It looks like it's supposed to be an entry level type stick, just a hair better than the EX2/DOA4 sticks (which are crap), but can easily take a JLF for a stick replacement and any buttons. It has 6 play buttons unlike every other stick on this list. It's a light stick, reminiscent of the Namco PSX stick or Agetec Dreamcast stick. Thicker than the Namco, thinner than the Agetec, and wider play area than either. Pretty light weight, which could be a good thing or bad thing depending on personal opinion. These have to be imported, and run $80-$100 before shipping.

HRAP EX is a good stick, especially after you make sure it has a good stick and buttons in it. But, not a common ground PCB so electrical mods like LEDs and dualmodding is right out. Considering how cheap they are, well worth it if you only want 360+PC

So, time to try a flowchart:
1. Got lots of money to burn?:
Yes: VLX is the best, hands down.
No: (continue)
2: Are you Ok with opening up a stick and swapping parts?
No: The new Hori HRAP VX SA wont require parts swap and is reliable. MadCatz TE doesn't require a parts swap, but may have reliability issues from the electronics.
Yes: (continue)
3: Do you care about electrical mods like dual modding and LEDs?
No/Just want 360+PC: HRAP EX is cheap and feels flawless after a parts swap.
Yes/Want the option to add future awesome: (continue)
4: Want it small?
Yes: Import a fighting stick VX and swap in a JLF and buttons of your choice (I like Seimitsu G's)
No: Madcatz TE or Hori HRAP VX

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
The Hori Fighting Stick VX is probably my favorite. It looks like it's supposed to be an entry level type stick, just a hair better than the EX2/DOA4 sticks (which are crap)

I've heard folks say this before, and I don't get it. How so? I've been using a DOA4 stick since the 360 launched, with all original parts, and it works great for me. Maybe not quite as good on the Neo ports as an actual Neo stick, but it's the closest I've found so far. Using ABXY, it's so similar to the ABCD layout on the Neo stick that my hand doesn't even get confused when I switch back and forth between the 2. What's so bad about them?

Disclaimer: I can pull off any move on the vanilla 360 thumbpad everyone hates so much, so maybe I just have golden thumbs.

Last edited:

FA-MAS

Kula's Candy
I like the Madcatz TE stick personally. They were doing a buy 1 for 100$ get one free on their site , it may still be going on

toodles

Zero's Secretary
I've heard folks say this before, and I don't get it. How so? I've been using a DOA4 stick since the 360 launched, with all original parts, and it works great for me. Maybe not quite as good on the Neo ports as an actual Neo stick, but it's the closest I've found so far. Using ABXY, it's so similar to the ABCD layout on the Neo stick that my hand doesn't even get confused when I switch back and forth between the 2. What's so bad about them?

Disclaimer: I can pull off any move on the vanilla 360 thumbpad everyone hates so much, so maybe I just have golden thumbs.
If it works great for you, then that's all you need. It's not to my liking. My three issues with the DOA4/EX2 stick:
1. Size. It's TINY. Too small for my gaijin hands. The fighting stick VX has tons more room to the left of the stick and right of the buttons for resting my big hands. The room on the left is important to me for comfort so I'm not resting my hand on just the corner of the case. The room on the right is important to me for securing the stick in place for mad mashing.
2. Buttons. The plunger in the Hori knockoff buttons is too small, and wiggles around. They dont feel as solid and responsive as arcade quality buttons.
3. Moddability. The board in the EX2/DOA4 is the same pcb used in the HRAP EX stick; it's not common ground, making electronic hacks like dual mods not worth the hassle. It can be done, sure, but its a PITA and using a common ground base is both cheaper and easier than shoehorning in a way around the matrixed inputs. Replacing the existing buttons and/or stick is a serious undertaking and requires extensive dremelling and is non-reversable.

I dont begrudge people who like the stick; your happiness is what should matter, and if you like it, awesome. The three points I bring up about the EX2/DOA4 stick are ALL addressed and fixed in the fighting stick VX. Wider top surface takes care of #1. The stock buttons are higher quality than the EX2/DOA4, but most importantly can be upgraded to arcade quality easily, taking care of #2. The pcb is common ground, and the case is DESIGNED to have a JLF installed in it, no dremelling needed, and totally reversible. That takes care of #3.

But again, this is all a matter of opinion, but I hope I explained why I have the opinion.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
Personally I like my custom wireless 360 controller hehe. But then, I just finished it last week. It also has a spot cut out of the top for a DB15 plug so it'll work with my CMVS.

Seriouly though, i've been dying for the 360 model of Real Arcade Pro.EX Premium VLX but my wife would kill me. So instead I just built this stick.

360stick.jpg