Best Martial Arts Film!! (you'd be surprised)

BakuretsuMutekiSid

Zero's Tailor
DRUNKEN MASTER II starring Jackie Chan!!! (the original, subtitled version)

Yeah, you guys forgot about that one didn't ya. Fer shame!

Ok, here's why I think it's the best fuckin martial arts film ever made!

For one thing, it runs the gamut of all the human emotions. The two which move me the most in this movie are humor and sadness.

It's one of the funniest films I've ever seen, Jackie Chan at his funniest! The way demonstrates his drunken boxing to the ex-Manchurian officer; 'angel Ho' is particularly hilarious ahahah. Also his interaction with the phenomenal cast, esp. his mom and the servant. I don't think I can point out any one actor who did less than a stellar performance in this movie (besides the white ones of course ahah for some reason they're always lame in these Chinese movies) . The movie also ends in a funny note too.

It's also has one of the saddest moments too. I'm referring to the part where he's in his room reflecting about how disrespectful he was to his father when he was drunk the day before. At the same time he's being comforted by his servant who's trying to cheer him up by saying that all the girls in the city want to marry him. The tear jerker's when he's kneeling before his father asking for forgivness, and his friends later going to him and silently consoling him.

The fight scenes are also one of Jackie's best. The drunken boxing is tight but the highlight has to be either the scene with the Axe Gang, or the one in the end at the steel mill. Axe Gang is a classic, unforgettable scene, but the one in the steel mill has Jackie perform one of his most dangerous scenes ever (where he falls in the burning coals)!

The music. The main theme which is put to song at the end has to be heard! The fact that it plays while the outtakes are being shown make it that much better.

There's just so many elements being done so well that make this movie one of the most unforgettable martial arts films (one of the most unforgettable in any genre as a matter of fact). :buttrock:

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Good movie. Loved it. To bad Jackie Chan went all hollywood and stopped making half way decent / funny movies.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
1st - Enter The Dragon

2nd - Drunken Master

3rd - Shaolin Master Killer

AssassinStrike

Armored Scrum Object
I really liked DM2 but what about Tai Chi and Fist of Legend?

Surely they deserve at least an honourable mention?
Kiss of the Dragon is the best I've seen in recent years.

I also liked CTHD but still a bit of an artsy fartsy movie tho.

Last edited:

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
uh... NO

Best martial arts films-

Kid with the Golden Arms

18 Legendary Weopons of China

Shaolin Intruders

Enter the Dragon

Baby Cart in the Land of Demons

Robert

20 Year Member
Big boss from bruce lee. Nothing can compete with this.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
nice try noobs.

try kung pow: enter the fist.

enter the dragon is a close second.

AssassinStrike

Armored Scrum Object
FeelGood said:
nice try noobs.

try kung pow: enter the fist.

enter the dragon is a close second.

I like Enter the Dragon so +3 for that but...

Kung pow: enter the fist.....

ROCKS

ASS

meh:angry:

AssassinStrike

Armored Scrum Object
if you like that then you must try Brood Sprot with Jean Claude Van HAM :spock:

CHong Li, CHong Li etc

damn penoy:mr_t:

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Nope. Drunken Master 2 had lousy fight sequences compared to anything Jackie has done in the last 10 years. What a hyped up joke. Anything with a flying guillotine would kick pre-90's chan ass.

As for my favorite, Street Fighter, and the 3 following segments.

Robert

20 Year Member
Blood sport was one the best van damme movie with kick boxer and full contact. It's not terrible if you compare with the Hong Kong production but it's one of the best martial art film with a non asian star.

Rassilon

Angel's Love Slave
Drunken Master 2 is brilliant. the original drunken master is great also.
Fist of Legend, Once upon a time in china 1-3, Ringo Lam's Burning Paradise, Dreadnaught, and Prodigal son are all truely fantastic films. And Jet li's my father is a hero (renamed to the defender or some BS for the us release).
oh, and Tai-Chi 2 was awesome as well. It had the guy who played fujita gou in fist of legend (the huge evil guy).

Shaolin and Wu-tang was sweet, and the death duel of kung fu, and all the old Ninja Theatre hosted by Sho Kosugi will always be favorites as well.

there are far too many to pick just one.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
You are all forgetting about "One-armed boxer". There's nobody famous in that old HK movie, but the fighting is DA BOMB.

Galford Forever

Krizalids Fashion Designer
I loved DM2. Great film, and one of Jackie's best I think. It was the best all around package for him, with a great story, good fights, and good stunts. Police Story is the best I've seen for stunts for him though, and my 2nd fav jackie chan film.

Best martial arts film for me though is Princess Blade. Great sword fighting action!

japanifan

Cheng's Errand Boy
the best martial arts film really depends on what your going for. its too broad. theres your fantasy/period ones such as storm riders or once upon a time in china. your modern ones like the hitman or films like the big boss. theres comedy style ones like fong sai yuk (which is simply sensational). finally you have straight up action movies these include but are not restricted to the story of ricky other movies which include needless senseless violence (which is perfect for the movie they are.

for fantasy category i would say new legend of shaolin.
modern fighters i would say fist of legend.
comedy im torn between DM2 and operation scorpio.
straight up id say well story of ricky.

an important category not covered here is the masterful gun-fu genre which chow"unlimited ammo"yun fat rules.

up with gun-fu.

AssassinStrike

Armored Scrum Object
what about steven segal why don't he get no love?

who taught him all that shit, he's too fat now to make a cool movie. And chunky Norris man that guy's got a wide load and he fights in slow motion his round house kick takes about 5min the poor fat shit *Perfect for a punch in the spine*

and what's that other fat guy Samo not so well hung like bleh!

Jet Li is the best modern guy I think.

I liked Shangai Knights it was awesome:glee:

Robert

20 Year Member
I remember a movie where the heroe has only one arm and he has to use three swords to kill the bad leader. It was old but terrific!

evasyar

Genjuro's Frog,
how come donnie yen is not getting any luv in here...

...dun get me wrong, i think jet li is definitive wushu badass but donnie yen is all up there too. jackie chan cannot beat donnie one on one in shanghai knights that donnie had to be double-teamed to get beaten.

some of the great kung-fu martial arter flicks:

legend of the wolf

tiger cage

iron monkey

iron monkey 2

ballistic kiss

these movies are way better than DM2

donnie yen :buttrock: you ballistic kicking mofo!!! :buttrock:

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Robert said:
I remember a movie where the heroe has only one arm and he has to use three swords to kill the bad leader. It was old but terrific!

Oh well, I mentioned "One-armed boxer", where the heroe loses his arm in the first fight with the villiain, and then he trains his remaining arm to become insensible to pain (he burns all his nerves there). But I don't remember he using using swords...