Big Blue Club - Get Some!

Liq_Wurm

Krauser's Henchman
After drooling over the Big Red Club's photos I thought, hey there's no reason us Big Blue owners can't have our very own club. Hadouken!
IMG_0044.jpg

can you believe this conversion previous owner had done.:rolleyes:

Batmanforever2.jpg

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
at least the batman looks like a clean conversion, ive seen some nasty ones before, but man, yours is nice!!!!

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
at least the batman looks like a clean conversion, ive seen some nasty ones before, but man, yours is nice!!!!

Yeah, most conversions I've seen have been atrocious. Especially when they're converting one cab into a Neo cab...Such sadness. Props on your Big Blue!

Sorwah

Crossed Swords Squire
Yay!

My first Big Blue was purchased as a Tekken 3 surprisingly clean conversion. Though it felt terrible to think someone would take a BB and make it into a Namco cab. It took some time but I basically restored it as a Super Turbo cabinet:

Before | After
IMG00032-20101009-1853.jpg
288424_578978246466_67502294_32363967_7459982_o.jpg

I had purchased a second cabinet which arrived as a Tecmo World Cup conversion cab. Horrid condition. Only the top three buttons on each side were installed with the bottom three not even cut. The CP was a purplish Capcom CP, though grimy. One of the arcade sticks also was just a metal shaft. Removing the pane of glass holding the TWC marquee displayed a Darkstalkers Oversized marquee. Anyways, I basically restored this one to be similar to another Super Turbo cabinet - also replacing the gray t-molding with white.

321972_594832689036_1763736525_o.jpg

The reason to have another ST? Well basically so I could do this:

Head2Head.jpg

Yup, head to head BBs. Each player has the option of using either American or Japanese style controls. Each has NOS SSF2 control stickers.
289132_578603188086_67502294_32355929_666324_o.jpg

340787_594832669076_1938473555_o.jpg

It's still not perfect but it will run. I took the two out to North East Championships XII last December to many a person's enjoyment.

To see more pics, check out the album:
http://photobucket.com/mrwaharcade

incrediblehark

New Challenger
very nice Liq_Wurm! Looks like my AVP cab, which i need t work on a little got banged up in a couple of moves, I'll up a pic later!

bryan

Geese's Thug
Dude I think the Batman Forever conversion looked kinda bad ass (even if I do get made fun of). Been keeping an eye out for the STV set up. Kinda a hard game to find also any chance you still got it. I have a Marvel vs Capcom 2 art kit on my big blue right now. I will get pics up soon.

bryan

Geese's Thug
Nice banner, I was working on one last night but it seems you beat me to it.

Liq_Wurm

Krauser's Henchman
yeeeaaaa nice one I'll gladly adopt that sig, sweet street fighter cabs I really like the look, looking forward to seeing more cabs!

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
love the sig pic guys, more pics of teh cabs please!:)

Mr.Nemoperson

Bunker Buster
15 Year Member
I have a question for you Big Blue owners. I am currently in the process of restoring this fellow here, and was wondering about the black speaker grille that is mounted on the front. Mostly if anyone had any ideas on where I could get one? But also how is it mounted? I was looking at it today and could not see any wood screw holes or anything like that.

Also I have what I think is an original SF2:CE plexi marquee....but it seems too tall for the cab. It's about 15.5" or 39mm tall. So it sticks out from the top. Is there something I am missing when putting it in place? Or should I get to cutting it?

Last edited:

Liq_Wurm

Krauser's Henchman
The black speaker grille loosely fits on the wood speaker body, I cannot see how it is attached but the black grille is not tight to the frame, this allows for a 1/4" gap that the front glass slides up underneath the speaker grille about 3/4 of an inch. the top of the grille provides the same edge in order to hold the marquee in place. I'd recommend finding the speaker grille and front glass before cutting any marquees. as to where you can find one that might be a tough go.

your on the east coast tho so you might want to try calling a place like QuarterArcade, see if they can track you down one

http://www.quarterarcade.com/Default.aspx

Oh and if you got pics lets see em there isn't nearly enough cabs in this post yet. here's another pic of mine with my newly acquired Big Red
IMG_0008.jpg

Last edited:

Mr.Nemoperson

Bunker Buster
15 Year Member
Cool. Thanks for the info. I will keep an eye out for a replacement grille.
The cab I am restoring won't be as original as the ones in this thread though. I have my doubts I will be able to track down that speaker grille.The control panel won't be original and does not have the sheet metal on the top. And finding NOS SF2:CE stuff seems rather sparse...at least for big blues. So that will be all repro.
At the moment I have all the wiring done. It powers up and plays fine....or will once I get the replacement control panel.
Here are a couple work in progress pics:
DSCN0397.jpg

DSCN0400.jpg

Here is the wiring inside:
DSCN0420.jpg

It's the first time I wired up an entire cab so it's a bit sloppy. I still need to wire down the jamma harness wires and what not. I have sound set up so I can switch between q-sound for CPS2 or dual mono for CPS1.
All in all the wiring part of it went rather smoothly.

Right now I am messing with the monitor, which for whatever reason has some jail bar line issues. And the color is kinda dull looking compared to my candy cab. So I will probably need to get it recapped.

Once that's taken care of I need to get some glass or plexi-glass cut for the monitor. I have no idea how it will stay in place without the sheet metal hinge on the CP, and the other hinge on the speaker grille. So I guess that will be a figure it out as I go type deal.

Then after all that I will need to get some art work for the bezel.......oh and a bezel for the bezel art :loco:
And finally the T-molding will get replaced with light grey or white.
So uhhh yeah this has turned into a bit of a money pit. More so than I originally intended. But whateves....something to do I guess:smirk:

One thing I have been wondering about is if there was any similar cab that looked like the Capcom big blue? I ask cause I find it odd that the SF2:CE marquee that I have is bigger vertically by a couple inches. It could be that the marquee is not an original. But I doubt that anyone would bother making a plexi replica of it.

Last edited:

arcade game

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
So here is my 2 big blue cabs.first one is a street fighter alpha.second one is my rare & joy captain commando dedicated 4player cab everything is original.i migh replace the control panel overlay so it could look alot better. I had to drive all the way from los angeles ca . To Arizona to pick it up
37dc90f3.jpg

ac9213cd.jpg

arcade game

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
Mr.nemoperson pm me if you need that black speaker grill i have one if interested

Mr.Nemoperson

Bunker Buster
15 Year Member
Mr.nemoperson pm me if you need that black speaker grill i have one if interested

PM headed your way:multi_co:

That Captian Commando cab is rad. I have not seen one of those before. The buttons on it are a bit funky. Was that how they were manufactured or is it custom?

Last edited:

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
Love those cabs mate.
Great work

I never saw an street fighter alpha cab, here in Portugal DAMM

Sorwah

Crossed Swords Squire
Cool. Thanks for the info. I will keep an eye out for a replacement grille.
The cab I am restoring won't be as original as the ones in this thread though. I have my doubts I will be able to track down that speaker grille.The control panel won't be original and does not have the sheet metal on the top. And finding NOS SF2:CE stuff seems rather sparse...at least for big blues. So that will be all repro.
At the moment I have all the wiring done. It powers up and plays fine....or will once I get the replacement control panel.
Here are a couple work in progress pics:

Here is the wiring inside:

It's the first time I wired up an entire cab so it's a bit sloppy. I still need to wire down the jamma harness wires and what not. I have sound set up so I can switch between q-sound for CPS2 or dual mono for CPS1.
All in all the wiring part of it went rather smoothly.

Right now I am messing with the monitor, which for whatever reason has some jail bar line issues. And the color is kinda dull looking compared to my candy cab. So I will probably need to get it recapped.

Once that's taken care of I need to get some glass or plexi-glass cut for the monitor. I have no idea how it will stay in place without the sheet metal hinge on the CP, and the other hinge on the speaker grille. So I guess that will be a figure it out as I go type deal.

Then after all that I will need to get some art work for the bezel.......oh and a bezel for the bezel art :loco:
And finally the T-molding will get replaced with light grey or white.
So uhhh yeah this has turned into a bit of a money pit. More so than I originally intended. But whateves....something to do I guess:smirk:

One thing I have been wondering about is if there was any similar cab that looked like the Capcom big blue? I ask cause I find it odd that the SF2:CE marquee that I have is bigger vertically by a couple inches. It could be that the marquee is not an original. But I doubt that anyone would bother making a plexi replica of it.

Better wiring than mine. Did you build the shelf yourself? because neither of my cabs have that and I've been meaning to do so. Is it just four pieces of plywood nailed/screwed into the sides holding the main board for easy board change outs? Curious how you have the jamma mono/stereo switch worked out as well.

Mr.Nemoperson

Bunker Buster
15 Year Member
Better wiring than mine. Did you build the shelf yourself? because neither of my cabs have that and I've been meaning to do so. Is it just four pieces of plywood nailed/screwed into the sides holding the main board for easy board change outs? Curious how you have the jamma mono/stereo switch worked out as well.

I wish I was that talented when it comes carpentry. Even something as simple as shelving is a chore and half for me. So no the shelf was there when I bought it :smirk:. I am not sure if is standard with all the big blues or not. This is my first american cab. Perhaps someone with more experience could comment on that.
It's just like you describe though. Four small boards that are attached to the sides of cab and one big flat board that slides in the middle. From the looks of it they were stapled to the sides with some heavy duty looking staples. But I would imagine wood screws would work just as well. The shelf could be used for easy board swaps. But the way I have everything screwed down that does not make it possible at the moment. I suppose I could have wired everything to the bottom of the cab and just left the game board on the shelf by itself. But I figured why bother since this is going to be a dedicated SF2 machine. Plus it helps if ever there is a flood.

As for the stereo/Jamma mono set up.I just copied what was in my candy cab. Basically you run the positives and neg wires from the speakers into a molex connector. From there you would make two more wire harness with molex connectors on the ends. One leading from the stereo amp, and one that leads out to the jamma harness. If your game supports stereo you simply plug in the connector that leads out to the amp. Otherwise you would plug in the connector from the jamma harness.
To get a clearer picture of what I am babbling on about here is a crummy diagram of how it was in my candy cab.
To get the Jamma mono to output in both speakers you connect one of the speakers positive wires into the other speakers negative. You can see that in the way the wire is looped in the molex connector that is leading from the jamma harness. Also you would want to add a volume pot so you can adjust the volume for the mono sound.

Last edited:

Sorwah

Crossed Swords Squire
I wish I was that talented when it comes carpentry. Even something as simple as shelving is a chore and half for me. So no the shelf was there when I bought it :smirk:. I am not sure if is standard with all the big blues or not. This is my first american cab. Perhaps someone with more experience could comment on that.
It's just like you describe though. Four small boards that are attached to the sides of cab and one big flat board that slides in the middle. From the looks of it they were stapled to the sides with some heavy duty looking staples. But I would imagine wood screws would work just as well. The shelf could be used for easy board swaps. But the way I have everything screwed down that does not make it possible at the moment. I suppose I could have wired everything to the bottom of the cab and just left the game board on the shelf by itself. But I figured why bother since this is going to be a dedicated SF2 machine. Plus it helps if ever there is a flood.

As for the stereo/Jamma mono set up.I just copied what was in my candy cab. Basically you run the positives and neg wires from the speakers into a molex connector. From there you would make two more wire harness with molex connectors on the ends. One leading from the stereo amp, and one that leads out to the jamma harness. If your game supports stereo you simply plug in the connector that leads out to the amp. Otherwise you would plug in the connector from the jamma harness.
To get a clearer picture of what I am babbling on about here is a crummy diagram of how it was in my candy cab.
To get the Jamma mono to output in both speakers you connect one of the speakers positive wires into the other speakers negative. You can see that in the way the wire is looped in the molex connector that is leading from the jamma harness. Also you would want to add a volume pot so you can adjust the volume for the mono sound.

Yeah, in regards to the stereo switch, that's basically how I figured you'd have it set up. I don't have Q-sound though so I just grabbed a stereo control from happ.

As for the shelf, it's possible yours was added NOS from the factory for whatever was your original cabinet. I personally have never seen the shelf in any of the Big Blues I've seen at auctions. You could also just set up all the wires for a molex connectors on the shelf so it's just popping those off if you want to pull it out to swap boards.

Also, in regards to your quick disconnects (and this goes out to anyone), I'm curious where you got your shielded/covered disconnects as I have been unable to find them or know how to make them. Any pointers in that I would be appreciative.

If you don't mind, what's the dimension of the wooden board itself?

Last edited: