Big Brother Google

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug
Came across this text suggestion last night in Messenger+ on my phone (built into Motorola phones).

IMG_20170415_101319.jpg

Now, it could just be that the application just has certain trigger words linked to a list of predefined suggestions and is kept locally. Then again, it could be sending and storing anywhere.

Ha, okay now this is funny. As I was typing that last line above, this popped up on my screen. I was taking a drink of coffee near the phone which triggered a touch, but still funny anyway.

View attachment 44165

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170415-095253.png
    Screenshot_20170415-095253.png
    136.5 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Yeah this shit's annoying. How about facebook though? The few times a year I log in I'm bombarded with stuff that's supposedly catered to my interests, and then I get friend requests from whoever. blah

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug
Yeah this shit's annoying. How about facebook though? The few times a year I log in I'm bombarded with stuff that's supposedly catered to my interests, and then I get friend requests from whoever. blah

Yeah, Facebook is pretty fucking bad too, but I was really surprised to see it suggest a restaurant search in the middle of a text message app.

I mostly do PC application development at work and only have done one app for Android/iPhone. Since I do it all in Unity most of the time, I've never gotten real heavy in the Android side of things. Maybe this is normal built in stuff that is readily available in their Android Dev software. I donno, don't use it.

Like Facebook and Google Chrome are so bad I think everybody kinda just expects those apps to be watching everything you do and then throwing up targeted ads whenever they can. I just didn't think it would be in a plain text message app like that.

Last edited:

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Come on. You should know that Google and Facebook are data mining 24/7.

All that shit gets pumped and fed. You can search for a product on google and then go to amazon and it will be suggested on the front page.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
when my wiiu adapter broke and I dug out my vita I forgot to cover the front camera, so I wasmokng and watching " exxeercise" videos infront ofitfor like two weeks

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug
when my wiiu adapter broke and I dug out my vita I forgot to cover the front camera, so I wasmokng and watching " exxeercise" videos infront ofitfor like two weeks

Hahaha. Once you realized it, you should have just looked square at the camera and gave a wink.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
last decade's news. welcome to 2017.

uchihaclan

n00b
Totally agree that in 2017 this is totally normal. Big data mining and analyzing consumer behaviour online has gotten much more advanced recently and it will continue to get more advanced. I stumbled upon this article about data mining, and it really opened my mind as to the extent to which it's possible to collect information from users. I guess it can be a good thing and a bad thing depending on how you look at it:)

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
every company that you are involved with is selling your information.
Phone company? yes.
Cable company? yes.
how about the utility company? yes.
How about your employer? yes

You have to call each one individually and ask for their privacy policy, and demand they do not disclose your information.
By default, your account is to set to share this information.