Brikin'ger/Iron Clad Coming To The Wii Virtual Console

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Ironclad Stage Select

If anyone has a cheat file for use with emulators with this game please drop me a PM. It will save me time finding cheats to add to the next unibios release.

Happy new year all, Raz

I don't use emulators but I did find a stage select feature for Ironclad using the dip settings of my debug bios on my home system. I think it was dip number 8 of row 1. It allows you to select and start on any of the 15 stages as well as some additional options like demo modes and such.

By the way, is anyone here capable of "altering" the P1 rom for this game so that we can deactivate the annoying "dim" mode for this game which comes on for usa and europe regions? heck, and place english text instead of spanish text for those regions as well while they're at it. it would make the game so much more "perfect".

regards,
billy

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
To change language you simply need to change go into the softdips after the region is set. I don't know anout this dim mode though as I don't have that problem here in kawaks at least.

dhowerter

We are Tracking Youze!,
I assume this game is out now in its official Japanese Wii Virtual Console release, correct?

SO anyway, my main question:

Are there any differences between the MVS version of Ironclad (from the Wii VC version or the... er, other ways you guys are playing it ;) AND the Neo CD version?
(aside from presumably no load times in the MVS version, of course)

So far, the only difference I've read on here is that the MVS version = chiptunes and a different compositions than the Neo CD version (which is CD quality and different music), correct?

Anybody know of any other differences between the 2 versions?

Oh, one other thing, the Wii VC Neo games support the AES memory card (virtually of course), so you can save your game progress just like on a AES, so does this game let you save in any way your game progress?
(perhaps you have to die and choose NOT to continue?)

Thanks in advance ^_^

Asure

Captain Dick,
I've compared the roms that were embedded into other wii VC releases and they are identical to what is already dumped. So the MVS roms that were extracted from the Wii VC Ironclad are (to me) 100% original SNK stuff, and should be treated as so.

As far as music and loading times, i've seen no difference. Maybe a Ironclad purist would know ?

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Ironclad is the 1996 original

I've compared the roms that were embedded into other wii VC releases and they are identical to what is already dumped. So the MVS roms that were extracted from the Wii VC Ironclad are (to me) 100% original SNK stuff, and should be treated as so.

As far as music and loading times, i've seen no difference. Maybe a Ironclad purist would know ?

I absolutely 100% agree.
The Ironclad that was "released" in November by SNK for the Wii Console is the 100% original / authentic 1996 Saurus game which was location tested and just weeks away from its official MVS release.

Crossed Swords has yet to see release on the Virtual Console, so it is unlikely that we would see Crossed Swords 2 released prior to it. Unless perhaps they release them both simultaneously. But if we learned one thing from what happened with Ironclad, it was that PATIENCE PAYS, so we just need to wait.

I really believe that eventually we will have all 4 of the key titles:
(Brikinger Ironclad, Crossed Swords 2, Okidashi Zintrick, Final Romance 2)
As for the other 4...

Sam Sho RPG would be "almost" impossible, while KOF96 Collection,
NEO GEO Special, & ADK World would be pointless, even if possible.

But even if they pull the plug and no more of the other cartridge proto/ CD exclusives surface, at least we now have a barometer with Ironclad. We can now see exactly how the files are arranged and how they differ from one format to the other (NEO CART versus NEO CD) which can serve as a blueprint for some of our hackers to eventually do it themselves anyhow.

(and btw as the question was not answered, yes, the cartridge version supports the memory card)

Last edited:

dhowerter

We are Tracking Youze!,

Wait, the Wii VC version of Ironclad has loading times?? O_O

How long are they? How do they compare lengthwise to the Neo CD load times for Ironclad?

(and btw as the question was not answered, yes, the cartridge version supports the memory card)

Just to be clear, does the Wii VC version of Ironclad let you save your *game progress* (in a virtual AES Memory Card) as opposed to just saving your high score, for example?

So, if you wanted to, you could get to stage 3 of Ironclad, save and then come back later, starting on stage 3?

How do you activate the saving, just choose NOT to continue?

One more question I've been curious about, are the Wii VC Neo Geo games ALL the AES versions or ALL the MVS versions?
Or a mix of the 2? :) (and how do you tell? ;-)

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Ironclad P1 Fix?

To change language you simply need to change go into the softdips after the region is set. I don't know anout this dim mode though as I don't have that problem here in kawaks at least.

Razoola,

Here is a technical explanation, (worded better then I said it earlier),

There is a hardware register that sets the display to dim mode. I did
a quick scan for this register in the program rom and found two
locations where this register is used. I would suspect that this could
be easily corrected via a patch to P1.

Can you or anyone else possibly correct this and give us a new modified P1 so that the game functions properly in all modes?

Many thanks if it can be done.

(and btw, I am not referancing "emulators" here. This is a problem that comes up with physical cartridges when played on actual hardware system consoles.)

Last edited:

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Billy,

I patched the P1 and emailed it to you. Let me know how it behaves. If I get some more free time, I'll check into making the game start in English on an AES system.

I'd test this myself but I haven't built an AES cart and my converter is out on loan.

Jeff

Razoola,

Here is a technical explanation, (worded better then I said it earlier),

There is a hardware register that sets the display to dim mode. I did
a quick scan for this register in the program rom and found two
locations where this register is used. I would suspect that this could
be easily corrected via a patch to P1.

Can you or anyone else possibly correct this and give us a new modified P1 so that the game functions properly in all modes?

Many thanks if it can be done.

(and btw, I am not referancing "emulators" here. This is a problem that comes up with physical cartridges when played on actual hardware system consoles.)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Was playing with it today on MVS.

Stage Select:
First Enable Dev mode (Dont know if this matters)

Soft Dip 1:
1 & 8 on

Stage Select will let you choose any stage BUT of course you can only select on the stage select screen.

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
I think I'll have to fire up the wii and d/l some more neo geo games. Want to see how good ironclad is, just incase I decide to buy it properly

Ckd N Lkd

Smoking Gun!,
Ok after all the hype I unpacked my Wii and went to VC to get Ironclad - where the freak is it???

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Yes, but fortunately it should be out this month in NA/EU!

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Do you happen to have a link to the article saying this? ^_^

actualy no (it's a new had chit-chatting by mail with snkp staff some days ago!) ...let's see, I hope it's not just some sort of hype!

(^_^!)

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Now I can go ahead and not play this game on the Wii, as well.

BOERenSKIN

n00b
Just downloaded it from the european vc and there are still spanish texts in it. Thanks a lot, hope SNK Playless will be better then comdorore gaming with Last Ninja 3.

(it's English till you die then you get Spanish suddenly). Thx a lot SNK

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Is your Wii European registered? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Spanish is the default language for that bios setting.

BOERenSKIN

n00b
Is your Wii European registered? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Spanish is the default language for that bios setting.

Yes, i have a European Wii. Some text is in Engish but the continu screen is in spanish. Even if the default setting is Spanish they could have fix it, or release it on the Virtual Console Arcade instead.

On the positive side, the game runs at 60hz.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
On the positive side, the game runs at 60hz.

Does usually European Wii VC games plays by 50Hz with black borders?
I mean, is this the only game at 60hz for europe vc?

If confirmed, I'm quite confident we can then expect Shocktroopers with blood on and "Set2" lives/difficulty on US/EU release... ;)

BOERenSKIN

n00b
Does usually European Wii VC games plays by 50Hz with black borders?
I mean, is this the only game at 60hz for europe vc?

If confirmed, I'm quite confident we can then expect Shocktroopers with blood on and "Set2" lives/difficulty on US/EU release... ;)

Didn't download any other NG-games as I already have them on aes or mvs. But most releases run at 50hz for nintendo and sega consoles.