Burj Dubai

eek

Mature's Make-up Artist
15 Year Member
This pic looks CG/painted.
veiwpoint.jpg

More pics of Dubai: http://gizmodo.com/5039300/real-sim-city-comes-to-life-in-the-desert

I'm too lazy to link to the previous threads on Dubai, but this current satellite image looks totally different from the old ones.
medium_2781464188_254fa6ffc6_o.jpg

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
It honestly makes me think of all the big buildings you would see in older sci-fi movies that took place in the 'future.' About damn time something from those is coming true.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I'm kinda surprised by this, but the company that's hiring me actually told me they're looking for people to move out to Dubai.

Segata_Sanshiro

Tesse's Maintainence Man
15 Year Member
cities are so beautiful...

what's the deal with that second pic, what's all that stuff doing out in what looks like the water

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Wow, if there's one place I've got to visit before I die. It's Dubai.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
cities are so beautiful...

what's the deal with that second pic, what's all that stuff doing out in what looks like the water

They're man made islands.

Two (three? - one off the crescent?) are in the shape of palm trees.

One is in the shape of the world.

I know the individuals islands on the world map were for sale, lots of rich ass peeps there.

I thought the palm trees featured resort type areas, hotels, etc - maybe a few ballin' ass houses?

The one on the right looks new, haven't seen it before - a crescent for the symbol of islam or am I way off base? Palm attached to it?

They've been working on that tower in Dubai for some time. Quite the feat of engineering. Should be the tallest building in the world when done, and it may at the moment be the tallest. I'm not up to date on which country is winning the biggest penis.....er scyscraper contest.

How can you NOT know about the ZANY shit they've been up to in Dubai dude? We've had like a BAJILLION threads on it, plus Dubai is always in the media because they is rich bitch!

The palm islands are old news brohem.

Last edited:

aria

Former Moderator
I'm too lazy to link to the previous threads on Dubai, but this current satellite image looks totally different from the old ones.

That's not a current image, they haven't finished (or started) half of that stuff.

I know that for a fact because I follow the construction of those projects (which I've posted about regularly); but look closer and you'll see. Only one of the Palms is complete (the one in the center), the World is currently in the middle of construction. I don't believe the other stuff has gotten too far; I know one of the Palms, the one on the right, is currently delayed.

The Burj is coming along well, that photo is about right.

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
Dubai is so Blade Runner type unreal...there are direct flights from Houston now, only city in the US besides NY, I want to hop on one eventually.

The islands are starting to look really hokey though. I understand the point of manufacturing more coastal real estate for profit, but I think they're beginning to lose their tenuous grip on reality with what shape the islands are taking :annoyed:

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Dubai is without a doubt the cleanest city I've EVER been to. There is no litter anywhere. It is a stark contrast to North American cities.

There is also little to no pedestrian traffic(due to the lack of sidewalks in most parts of the city), and the shittiest car you're likely to see on the streets is an Audi.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Dubai is not a place for yanks. If you're part of the commonwealth then it's a great place to go, but not for the yanks.

and my old penthouse was overlooking the smaller palm island, right on the beach. It was extremely awesome.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
That's amazing. Definitely one of the coolest cities in the world. I'd love to visit someday. If they let a dirty yank in for a week that is.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Those guys either: A) Don't believe in aliens, or: B) Are actively trying to attract them.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Would you care to explain why? I have wanted to visit Dubai for quite some time.

you might enjoy it, but the place is 3rd world, and where it's not, it's catering to Brits not Americans. Radio personalities are british, sports are soccer and rugby. No nfl or nba there. Whatever you're thinking, do not consider a lawyer position there. It's bullshit. Worst characteristics of the US firms and British firms combined. If you're just going there to visit, it's very very expensive. unless you want to live like dirt, in which case the option is there...

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
you might enjoy it, but the place is 3rd world, and where it's not, it's catering to Brits not Americans. Radio personalities are british, sports are soccer and rugby. No nfl or nba there. Whatever you're thinking, do not consider a lawyer position there. It's bullshit. Worst characteristics of the US firms and British firms combined. If you're just going there to visit, it's very very expensive. unless you want to live like dirt, in which case the option is there...
I love watching soccer and rugby (is cricket there also, I love that as well), but England really needs to catch up with the rest of the world and start playing some basketball. I mean they already have Luol Deng and Ben Gordon on their national team. They could really do something and maybe make the sport more mainstream over there.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
That's not a current image, they haven't finished (or started) half of that stuff.

Ah, that makes sense that it's just how it's supposed to/might work.

I knew the first Palm island was done, and the started work on the world, but when i saw that picture I was like "damn, Dubai really must've stepped their construction up."

Well, all the stuff they have anyway is pretty crazy.

Didn't they have Tiger Woods design a golf course too?

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member

That's badass. The crescent looks like Iori's logo, and on the right reminds me of Cobra from GI Joe.

aria

Former Moderator

Hah, I had a classmate work over there for a few years (he had grown up there for high school, originally from somewhere else, and then moved to the US for college), but he returned because he just didn't like how the legal work was.

aria

Former Moderator

That's badass. The crescent looks like Iori's logo, and on the right reminds me of Cobra from GI Joe.

Again, what eek didn't know is that this is a photo of what it may look like in something like 2012...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Hah, I had a classmate work over there for a few years (he had grown up there for high school, originally from somewhere else, and then moved to the US for college), but he returned because he just didn't like how the legal work was.

Since you know a bit of what I mean, I will specify that in the US, imagine how firms expect you to be on call 24-7, but that you can be working from the beach and it's cool. In the UK, work is work, but your vacation and time off is sacred, so everything is structured so that all your work is out of the way when you start a vacation. In dubai, forget working from the beach - your work time is sacred, and when you get a vacation, you're on call 24-7, so you may not get any of it. :rolleyes: