Cable Cuttin' thread.

uiengineer

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner
i need to look into that Tablo. I've had the cord cut for about 3 years now. I have been making due with OTA HD, netflix, and streaming from european web sites.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Interesting, never knew you could chain them together.

I'm using this one mounted up in the attic and run to all the coax plates in the house.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007MXZB2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It gets everything in my viewing area, maybe 30ish distinct channels, a lot of absolute crap of course, but all the networks, PBS, and some other sometimes good things.

its the opposite of a coax splitter. its called a 'combiner'. look for 2 or 3 in to 1 out. more antennas means more surface area for them to pick up. think antenna array.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
i just moved everything into another room, so i still need to do something about properly mounted antennas and cable management:

Here is how i am set up:
the 2 amplified mohus in a window:
E87dLSV.jpg

this is the coupler and one of the antenna amps (it plugs in via micro usb)

6BvwkS6.jpg

Regarding the tablo:

it fires up to my tv direct from roku (or any other device in the house)
ZrjlMim.jpg

live menu:

5PmMtBl.jpg

shot of live tv:

PEINOce.jpg

When you have recordings, it sets up movies and tv episodes with cover art. in the case of a series recording, it puts them in season and episode order automatically. navigates like netflix on the recordings. The downside is it takes a few seconds to launch each channel as it transcodes everything live- so flipping live channels is a little clunky.

you can track hdd space from the back end :

4nOj43U.png

and see the signal strength and what it is outputting at (i need to adjust the antennas for a better position still- it's recently redone).

8ZLUiz8.png

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Just out of interest does anybody use a CI+ card insread of a decoder / STB for their cable? I recently swiched from a decoder and like the fact that there's less clutter and I just use the TV remote and its inbuild tuner - seems to switch channels faster too. That said as most people here I hardly ever watch it ;) The whole concept of a tv schedule dictating when you can watch something or having to record stuff to watch it later seems really redundant nowadays.

I've actually never had cable except for a year in a college when a roommate paid for it. My wife and I just do Netflix streaming, and watch OTA programming (mostly sports) with a really ugly antenna sitting behind our TV. And I buy Game of Thrones on blu-ray every time it comes out.