Candy Cab Noob Questions

KingJavo

Rugal's Thug
10 Year Member
Hey guys, I've just landed a couple Candy Cabs and have some questions for the community. This may become more of a FAQs topic if we can get some answers for noobies to learn from the pros.

Here are some to get started...

1. Where's the best place to get Yen coins from? Not sure if the airport foreign exchange is an option??

2. What's the best way to clean and restore a Super Neo 29? Fixing dents, painting options, clean up inside and outside tips, etc?

3. What type of marquees fit in this cab and where can you find them? They look to be mini... Here's a pic of one from the forums to give an example.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441283990.865084.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1441284044.053907.jpg

Last edited:

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
3. What type of marquees fit in this cab and where can you find them? They look to be mini...

There are a few different styles of marquee headers depending on if this is a Super Neo 29 or Super Neo 29 Candy or Super Neo 29 Type 2. The Super Neo 29 Candy I have has a slot for a single banner marquee and does not accommodate the Mini Marquees. Some have a cutout. Some do not. Some have a cutout for an LCD (Hyper Neo 64 models) some have the 4-up for MMs

KingJavo

Rugal's Thug
10 Year Member
There are a few different styles of marquee headers depending on if this is a Super Neo 29 or Super Neo 29 Candy or Super Neo 29 Type 2. The Super Neo 29 Candy I have has a slot for a single banner marquee and does not accommodate the Mini Marquees. Some have a cutout. Some do not. Some have a cutout for an LCD (Hyper Neo 64 models) some have the 4-up for MMs

Yeah, mine actually has the insert that slides out from the top and the transparent plastic does not have dividers, so I could line up mini marquees or maybe it was meant more for one banner. I'll try to post a pic when I get a chance.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
¥ coins are no longer widely available at U.S. airports.

I've had luck at local coin and collectable shops. Many times, they'll have a hodge-podge box of foreign coins.

Just dig out as many ¥ as you can.

You could also make friends w/ a member that lives in Japan...baring that, order an astray from rancor-and maybe for the right price some ¥ will be left inside. ;^)

It's also a snap to re-calibrate your coin mech to take nickles or quarters.

Last edited:

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
Yeah, mine actually has the insert that slides out from the top and the transparent plastic does not have dividers, so I could line up mini marquees or maybe it was meant more for one banner.
Mine is the same way. It came with this banner installed. No clue what it says. I'd like to get some custom printer ones to swap out.
Spoiler:
IMG_9595.jpg

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
If you're in a home setting, instead of using coins...
either put the PCBs in freeplay, or wire a button/microswitch under the coin slot and dress that up with a coin or token you can press. Seriously, doing this will save you from having the coin slot jam or not register in the middle of a game and it needing to be fixed. Just one less thing to keep you enjoying a game.

But if you really need 100 yen coins, try to find some collector coins on ebay for as cheap as possible. You can generally find random ones in a lot.

Image of my Coin Slot's Coin Button:
20150903_174502_zps2nrhteyh.jpg

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
If you're in a home setting, instead of using coins...
either put the PCBs in freeplay, or wire a button/microswitch under the coin slot and dress that up with a coin or token you can press. Seriously, doing this will save you from having the coin slot jam or not register in the middle of a game and it needing to be fixed. Just one less thing to keep you enjoying a game.

But if you really need 100 yen coins, try to find some collector coins on ebay for as cheap as possible. You can generally find random ones in a lot.

Image of my Coin Slot's Coin Button:
20150903_174502_zps2nrhteyh.jpg

thats actually a really cool idea! i may just steal that.

KingJavo

Rugal's Thug
10 Year Member
My blast takes ¥50, but I don't see any stickers on my Neo.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441367515.137181.jpg

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
How are you doing on these cabs man? Have you read the arcadeotaku guides? http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Main_Page

A lot of the basic info on cleaning/restoration should be in there.

As far as Marquee, just measure the space (add a 1/2” around the border) and design your own. Have a print shop make you a backlit marquee, most good places will have the exact material you want. I’d bet one that size would cost around $20.

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
That marquee says something like "Manager's Recommendation"...or something similar.

Yikes! That's pretty lame. Thanks for the translation. I'm currently working on some custom artwork for this space (mainly resizing official artwork where possible). A 16x4.75 inch cutout will fit in this space without issue.

Preview of custom work:
Spoiler:

SuperNeo29Marquee TSS (estimated size).pngSuperNeo29Marquee SVC CHAOS (estimated size).pngSuperNeo29Marquee MMT.png
SuperNeo29Marquee KoF2003.png

I'm going to see about getting these printer once that I make a few more to rotate out. You can fir two of them on a tabloid sheet of paper. I'll post some updated information when I have the physical copies on hand

Last edited:

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
Last edited:

KingJavo

Rugal's Thug
10 Year Member
Yeah I need to get a marquee for my super neo 29 and blast city.

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Hey man glad to see you landed a few cabs. Would love to see them at Free Play Florida ;)

KingJavo

Rugal's Thug
10 Year Member
Anyone know the cheapest and best place to replace joysticks and buttons (red, blue, green, yellow) for original Neo Geo setup? I'd like to replace these used ones for an authentic look with the best quality parts that match the original cab.

I heard someone on these forums sells them as a kit or something? Anyone know?

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
A big red or a neo candy? Both Focus attack and paradise arcade shop sell Japanese and american/european parts.