Car Buying Advice

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
I could use a little insight here.

I just got back from picking up the results of an inspection for a new car I'm looking at. It's an '02 S2000 with 57k on it. Mechanically everything is good. However 3 tires need to be replace and the fourth is at 4/32, so it is very close as well. Tires are about $200 ea. for the front and $220 ea. for the rear. I already talked the guy into lowering the price from $12.9k to $12.5k due to an interior panel that needs fixing.

How much should I offer since I now know the tires need to be replaced?

I was thinking that asking him to pay for half would be reasonable. What does everybody else think?

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
where are you getting your tire prices?

those are really expensive for such small tires.

tire rack has top rated summer tires for like $160 and all seasons for around $120.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It couldn't hurt to haggle him down a bit. Just remember that S2000's with that kind of mileage aren't all that common so he may tell you to get lost. Also, make sure you check out the soft top thoroughly, as a convertible driver I can tell you that those things are expensive to replace, especially if you aren't going to do the work yourself.

*edit* not sonic is right, if the car doesn't have hugeass aftermarket rims (which will ruin the handling characteristics of such a light car) then it should be standard 16" tires that shouldn't cost a whole lot. Looking at the right places a set of Falken Ziex 912's installed would be around $500 for all four.

Last edited:

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
It couldn't hurt to haggle him down a bit. Just remember that S2000's with that kind of mileage aren't all that common so he may tell you to get lost. Also, make sure you check out the soft top thoroughly, as a convertible driver I can tell you that those things are expensive to replace, especially if you aren't going to do the work yourself.

The top is new. He had it replaced a few months back due to it being slit by a thief.

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
where are you getting your tire prices?

those are really expensive for such small tires.

tire rack has top rated summer tires for like $160 and all seasons for around $120.

You're right. Looking at discount tire. There are some good Z rated tires for about 100+. I'm kind of partial to Kumho and Dunlop. I like how well Dunlop tires stick to the road. Had them on my last care and loved them.

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
Cool car. Good luck. Offer him a briefcase with $12,000 inside. Tell him he can keep the briefcase too, if he sells it to you.

I honestly thought they went for more...I was just talking to my gf about one yesterday.

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
Cool car. Good luck. Offer him a briefcase with $12,000 inside. Tell him he can keep the briefcase too, if he sells it to you.

I honestly thought they went for more...I was just talking to my gf about one yesterday.

The models with the 2.2 engine go for quite a bit more. They increased the engine from 2.0 to 2.2 sometime around '04 I believe.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
if this car will be your daily driver... there is no reason to expensive tires.
Just get something well rounded.

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
if this car will be your daily driver... there is no reason to expensive tires.
Just get something well rounded.

I'm getting All-Season tires. From what I've seen, it looks like most are 120-140 and last from 20k-35k on my specific car. I only live 5 miles from work so I only put about 6k-8k on my car a year.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
You're right. Looking at discount tire. There are some good Z rated tires for about 100+. I'm kind of partial to Kumho and Dunlop. I like how well Dunlop tires stick to the road. Had them on my last care and loved them.

i had kumho ecsta asx's, and for an s2000 those are only $77 $78 for s2000 stock sizes. i paid less than 200 for them in 275/40-17.

dunlops best summer tire is only $114/$124.

my only complaint about the kumhos were pretty fast treadwear. ive got some sumitomo htr's now (cheapest i could find in the same category, needed tires fast) and ive been happy with them.