channelmaniac need to rattle ur brain (2slot sound ?)

discgolfer72

Crossed Swords Squire
ok so i went and picked up this pos

DSC03414.jpg

looks like its a sega cab but hard to tell since it has golden axe side art ,sega gremlin sticker inside ,allong with a star trek sticker inside

i got it for almost nothing (50$) it has a great monitor and everything is working(after i re solderd the grounds for the 2p buttons and sticks lol)

excpt im having trouble with the sound

i turn on the machine and the sound works on the neo splash screen
i start a game from the first slot and the sound also works

but if i switch to the second cart i get no sound fronm that game
and then upon switching back to cart 1 it no longer has sound

if i reset the game(power down then back up) i get sound again on splash and cart 1

i tried bolth the games that came with the machine (8man and world heroes 2)in my real 2 slot and bolth have working sound in it
i cleaned the cart slots also and inspected them for damage (again look to be perfect)

got any ideas on where to start troubleshooting this ishue channelmaniac if anyone has the know how it you lol

ps thanks lol

Last edited:

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Hmmm...

If you swapped carts around and the problem stays with the slot then you have a problem with the sound program ROM pins on the cart slot. It's either a damaged slot, a damaged trace, or a bad chipset chip on the board.

First thing is to inspect the slot closely with a magnifying glass. Look for corroded pins on the slot connector.

You need to check pins 47B through 58B and 43A through 58A on the lower slot connector. (CTRG3 on the MV2) Follow the traces from each slot to the chipset chips and check for bad traces that need patching.

If there are no bad traces and no corroded pins on the connector then you have a chipset chip that is bad.

RJ

discgolfer72

Crossed Swords Squire
you rock thanks man ill pull the board tommorow and see what i find

im guessing this board has ben modded to run in this cab since its mono but i was gettin full stereo sound output so im probaly going to find a butcherd solder job on the hack

i did find that this is one of the romstar kits as it has the original mv2 manual in the cab allong with a romstar manual for the kit

Last edited:

discgolfer72

Crossed Swords Squire
well pulled the board checked it under glass and i cant find any broken traces or any bad solder spots
no messed up pins either

with the way its wired to the jamma harness (jumperd to be mono at the edge connector) im guessing it probaly overloaded the sound chip

so i said screw it im just going to block off the 2nd slot and play it as a 1 slot with my 100 in 1 cart

here she is after i sanded the sides and repainted it,replaced the cp plexi and cleaned her up

DSC03422.jpg

DSC03423.jpg

thanks channelmaniac fir the trouble shooting tips sucks i could not find a simple fix but oh well i still have my real 2 slot that works and my 1 slot in the data east cab to lol

ps what would you charge to repair the board if i sent it off to ya

well now im off to start restoring that tron machine in the back ground

Last edited:

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Looking much better. Nice work.

Just throw this in here... if it was his slot and not a rom problem... is it just a matter of desoldering those old connectors and putting new ones on?

discgolfer72

Crossed Swords Squire
lol thanks
it only took me 6 hours to sand and repaint lol

the sides were a mess it would have been easy but the jerk that didi the conversion to a golden axe just pulled the original side art off and painted right over the adheasive . so i was sanding it with 60 grit and i got thrue the black paint and hit the adheasive and it just gumed right up, so i had to sand past the black paint, then spray the thing down with goo gone and then scrape all the gunk of as best i could , then i was able to sand it the rest of the way primer it and paint

then i had to cut a new plexi drill the holes ,remove the crappy looking conversion button lettreing ,clean up the cpo and re assmble everything
all thats left is to go buy a fs2 starter for the marquee light (hopefully it does not need a new ballast )

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Wow that sucks man.... But yeah it definitely looks worth the effort you put in. Going to get new side marquees?

discgolfer72

Crossed Swords Squire
na its a conversion so it does not deserve snk side art lol

Please correct the button colors.

i would but i dont have any spares and this one does not deserve any more work lol
it does have 2 green buttons so i could swap and fix it but the green button for p1 start is fubared and sticks sometimes

Last edited:

discgolfer72

Crossed Swords Squire
hey channelmaniac is the sound problem somthing a low voltage /bad psu could cause

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
No.

I charge $35 for non-surface mount repairs and $40 for surface mount repairs, plus shipping/insurance, but not including batteries or slot connectors.

There is no place to purchase those slot connectors. The only way to get them is from a parts board.

RJ