Chattanooga TN.... Tell me about it.

djdelly

Teh Mizzle
Anyone live there?

I had a couple of interesting phone calls today.... one that leads me back to MN, one to Hudson WI, and the other to Chattanooga.... Chattanooga hands down is the best one for my career... if it actually happens.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I get down there maybe once a month.

Not a bad little town. Certainly no metropolis. Some great BBQ, a great brewpub, a nice family friendly downtown on the river with the best aquarium between Knoxville and Atlanta, and then you've got the sort of touristy Incline Railway and Lookout Mountain area.

I know a couple guys down there if you want me to get some specific questions answered.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Anyone live there?

I had a couple of interesting phone calls today.... one that leads me back to MN, one to Hudson WI, and the other to Chattanooga.... Chattanooga hands down is the best one for my career... if it actually happens.

*Achievement unlocked - Career Climber 50G

Marek

Banned
Chatty is an interesting place.

It is a beautiful downtown area, growing street life on the river, all kinds of outdoor things to do.

Its pretty fucking bland though in terms of nightlife. Not too many big concerts, lots of boring rich people and their boring offpspring.

But you will also be really close to Atlanta, Knoxville, Nashville, etc.

If I absolutely had to choose another town in TN to live in I would vote Chattanooga fwiw.

I'll add more pertinent info if I think of any.

I put in a bid to network the new Volkswagen plant there, but apparently didn't win. Too bad too, was like a 2 year gig.

Partnered with Siemens on the deal, would have been an amazing job.

Last edited:

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Its pretty fucking bland though in terms of nightlife. Not too many big concerts, lots of boring rich people and their boring offpspring.

Deli will fit in just fine then.

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
Chattanooga, TN, is like a boring butthole of crap and slime.

I am only saying that because you need to move back here. :loco:

I don't actually know anything about Chattanooga, except that that's where Basil Marceaux wants to move the capitol.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
If you're still career searching/building, I'd take the job that sets you up the best. Forget about the area. I've lived in some shitty places for a job, and spending a year or two there felt like hell at the time, but I could not have sharpened my resume, or driven my salary up as high as it is today without paying my dues and doing what was best for me. Seriously, if TN is the best thing for you work-wise, and it pans out that you get a job offer, you should take it.

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
It has mosquitoes, and deer ticks, and poison ivy/oak/sumac, but mostly mosquitoes.

Fuck that.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Well anywhere has to be better than FL right??

And what Jon said.

Marek

Banned
For the sake of comparison - Florida has alligators, mad snakes, fire ants, banana spiders, and at least a dozen winged stinging insects worse than skeeters.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Samuel L Jackson grew up in Chattanooga.

That's why he yells all the time.

He's use to talking over trains.

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
Samuel L Jackson grew up in Chattanooga.

That's why he yells all the time.

He's use to talking over trains.

According to movie theater pre-feature trivia, Sammy J had a stutter and overcame it by taking public speaking courses, which is how he got into acting.

djdelly

Teh Mizzle
From what I've been reading Chattanooga seems like an interesting place.... Nothing ever comes to Tampa so there is nothing new there and FL is full of boring rich people with boring offspring...

If you're still career searching/building, I'd take the job that sets you up the best. Forget about the area. I've lived in some shitty places for a job, and spending a year or two there felt like hell at the time, but I could not have sharpened my resume, or driven my salary up as high as it is today without paying my dues and doing what was best for me. Seriously, if TN is the best thing for you work-wise, and it pans out that you get a job offer, you should take it.

The move to FL has defiantly helped my resume, while being total hell for me. It's the reason why I took the job and moved. If I manage to stick it out a couple more years i'll most likely get what I want, but all the spur of the moment travel is driving me crazy....I haven't been in the US for 5 weeks straight since May 09... I've had 4 weeks straight twice (this current stretch being the second) and non of the travel is planned more than a week ahead of time.

Well anywhere has to be better than FL right??

And what Jon said.

one would think that any place is better than FL, but some people actually seem to like it.... :eek_2:

The only thing that i'm going to miss about St. Pete is the restaurants... there are 5 really good restaurants I love going to that are within walking distance of my place.

@greg

tolling all my posts these days? :spock:

aria

Former Moderator
The only knock would be relocation issues. Regardless of where you choose, get them to pay if you can.

I'm with nruva on picking the one that's the best for your career. Even if that means living in Tennessee --but you've served time in Kansas so I know you can hack it :p

Marek

Banned
From what I've been reading Chattanooga seems like an interesting place.... Nothing ever comes to Tampa so there is nothing new there and FL is full of boring rich people with boring offspring...

I'm being a little too harsh I think.

Chatty is a great town.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Just givin' you shit man.

I've had 4 weeks straight twice (this current stretch being the second) and non of the travel is planned more than a week ahead of time.

That would drive me cRaZiE!

Tell them they need to move manufacturing to the U.S.

You should be lucky to have a job in this economy.

Would you find your pot of gold at the end of the rainbow if you had a degree?

Last edited: