Choices, choices...which cab should I choose? (Pics & prices inside)

Kusanagi-sama'

Ninja Combat Warrior
Hey all,

Well, I have finalised my cabinet choice down to the following 4 cabinets that I have available to me for purchase at the moment:

1ST one up is the Sega NEW Astro City

Price is $1000US shipped to me. As you can see from the pics the cab is in really good shape and has not had much usage since it was bought new back in 98.

2ND cabinet is the Namco Cyberlead Cabinet (Pics show a 3 button layout however they will be changed over to a 6 button set up if I buy)

I can have two options with this cabinet:
15/24K – $923US shipped
15K-38K Digital uprgade – $1155US shipped

3RD cabinet is the Taito Egret II: http://www.zax.com.au/egret2.html (Pics show a 3 button layout however they will be changed over to a 6 button set up if I buy)

15/24K – $849US shipped
15K-38K Digital uprgade – $1080US shipped

4TH choice and my preferred one is the Astro City VS Cabinet (Pics show a 4 button layout however they will be changed over to a 6 button set up if I buy)

15/24K – $1695US shipped
15K-38K Digital upgrade – $2160US shipped

Points that make me lean towards the VS cabinet are that there is ample room when sitting down playing someone whereas with a straight Astro City it is very squashy. Of course, the price is a lot more expensive.

So there you have it. To those who own any of these which do you think I should go for? Also, please give a reason as to why you would make that choice...

Kusanagi-sama'

Ninja Combat Warrior
fatal fury fan #2 said:
you can get the Taito Egret II and the Astro City cheaper than the Astro City VS

Yeah I know. However, the purpose behind the VS is for competitive play. A single cabinet with a shared control panel makes for a tight fit from experience. The VS however means each person has their own side and obviously that makes the seating arrangement and the level of play more enjoyable.

But then again, a VS City is quite costy and I could have more quantity but lesser quality hence my current undecided decision on what to buy.:conf:

sven666

War Room Troll
the VS cab is cool cause then you can have one tate and one horizontal screen permanently..

otherwise id go with whatever tates the easiest, unless you and your friends are fat as hell you wont have any trouble competing at any of those cabs...

15-38 synch ofcourse ;) and dont forget to build in a sub in whatever cab you choose ;)

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Go with the Taito model. It looks good and should suite your needs.

GAMEFAN

BIG

sony fanboy
Egret II,handsdown.

With the Egret II,you get the best of both worlds. Screen orientation will no longer be an issue,since you'll be able to rotate the monitor from hori to vert,or vice versa,with ease.

Go for it.

B-

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
BIG said:
Egret II,handsdown.

With the Egret II,you get the best of both worlds. Screen orientation will no longer be an issue,since you'll be able to rotate the monitor from hori to vert,or vice versa,with ease.

Go for it.

B-

Ditto....... :buttrock:

Ill6

Marked Wolf
Hard to say because most people only know what they own (or have played I suppose)

I just bought an Astro and I am very happy with it. The monitor is supurb. But I am stuck in Vert mode until a friend next visits (not such a bad thing!).

I would have probably bought an Egret II but for the fact I couldn't find one. Also I don't know if cp's can be replaced?

I am not sure about getting a 15/31 monitor setup either. Apparently they look a bit shit in low resolution.

Kusanagi-sama'

Ninja Combat Warrior
Thanks for all the replies everyone. It seems the Egret II is a popular cabinet. After some comments here and a little more reasearch I can see why.

sven666 said:
otherwise id go with whatever tates the easiest, unless you and your friends are fat as hell you wont have any trouble competing at any of those cabs...

Well, its not that I am fat or even the slightest bit overweight, just have a fairly big build...my friends range from small to bigger than I thats why I guess the Astro design for example worried me somewhat. Remember, JP cabinets were made in mind of Japanese players and the majority of Japanese are very small when compared to our Western counterparts.

Ill6 said:
I am not sure about getting a 15/31 monitor setup either. Apparently they look a bit shit in low resolution.

I have heard this also, thats why for now I am just going to uprgade one of the Nano monitors on the VS and see how it runs an Atomiswave board in comparison to when it is running on 15.

BIG said:
Egret II,handsdown.

Go for it.
B-

Yeah, those points you mentioned are important. I think not only they, but the relative cheapness compared to the VS city are what it is probably best for me right now.

...time to call the supplier with my choice. Will update with some pics when my cab arrives. :cool: