Classic music never sounded better than this

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I literally lol'd. What a flaming turd that was. Take on of my favorite songs of all time, and shit on it.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Ha. From the info box, this was extremely interesting, at least to me, because I'm a fan of his work:

This interested many avante-garde musicians, to the point where Brian Eno actually joined, playing the clarinet and producing their first two albums.

Weird.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
if that version was actually in the movie it mightve made the movie interesting.

Hidden Character

Leader of The Hyperstone Heist,
20 Year Member
As a music teacher, I'm horrendously saddened, but as a sarcastic bastard, I haven't laughed at music this bad in ages.

+1 for laugh of the week.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member

my favorite part of the movie is the poster.

seeing space and shit flying around space had 0 impact on me as i saw it only a couple years ago for the first time. so all that was left was the story (lol.)

the only part that was any good was the astronaut dealing with hal. everything else was forgettable (because i cant remember it) or the equivalent of taking a shit on film and calling it art (the ending.)

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
my favorite part of the movie is the poster.

seeing space and shit flying around space had 0 impact on me as i saw it only a couple years ago for the first time. so all that was left was the story (lol.)

the only part that was any good was the astronaut dealing with hal. everything else was forgettable (because i cant remember it) or the equivalent of taking a shit on film and calling it art (the ending.)

A.C. Clarke was pretty upset at the premier of the movie, I think to the point of crying about it if I remember correctly. If you read the book, the movie makes a whole lot more sense. But yeah, just seeing the movie alone, it seems like "art" as you call it.

I can enjoy the movie from a technical standpoint alone, but I'm just weird like that.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Absolutely brilliant. And I really mean that.

Sounds like a group of angry elephants storming into a sawmill, the crescendo parts are both hilarious and intense to no end.

Yeah, that's punk. Just do it, the way is the goal and the goal is in the fucking way.

Rock on, Portsmouth Sinfonia! :buttrock:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
That one was even funnier, but I think it was on purpose. Did you hear that last horn at the very end for no reason? Genius!

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wiRivDMIYM&feature=related

I dont get it. Are they playing out of tune on purpose?

An authentic student orchestra created as a musical experiment by their teacher, the English composer Gavin Bryars.

Bryars encouraged absolutely anyone to join, regardless of their musical ability. If you could play an instrument you had to switch to one you couldnt, and everybody had to try as hard as they could; trying to play even slightly badly on purpose was verboten. The orchestra attracted a great deal of media attention, which mostly focussed on their hilarious sound, but which nevertheless led to singles, albums, and even a film.

And there was a method to their madness. The Sinfonias early works were drawn from standard classical touchstones (The Blue Danube waltz, The William Tell Overture, etc) so most orchestra members at least had a vague idea of what the piece should sound like. Even if they couldnt play their instrument at all they would still know when to go high and when to go low, the end result being the whole ensemble playing not only the correct note but also several notes nearby - clouds of sound that gave an average impression of the piece.

This interested many avante-garde musicians, to the point where Brian Eno actually joined, playing the clarinet and producing their first two albums.

Although they never officially disbanded, they havent played together since 1979. Their final impact on popular culture before now was this 1981 top 40 single, a medley set to a disco beat that was their attempt to cash-in on the vogue for Hooked on Classics

It's right on the youtube page Wayne.

GET IT TOGETHER!

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
There is such a fine line between genius and completely stupid.

Just like Wesley Willis...