Cleaning carts

zinho

Kula's Candy
15 Year Member
What is the correct way of cleaning and caring for my systems/games? How do I clean edge connectors? What about labels? How do I clean mold out of manuals? :scratch: I'm thinking turpentine is a bit too harsh for a manual or edge connector, it would probably destroy the plastic casing too.
Please help me out. I'm thinking silica gel is a good way of controlling moisture and preventing these issues.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
For cleaning off the carts themselves, I used a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I had a house fire in 99 so I got a lot of smoke damage on them and they cleaned up all right.

For all carts the thing everybody uses is rubbing alcohol and q-tips. I use one q-tip for each side, one to wet it down, the other to dry it off. You wouldn't believe the amount of black gunk I got off the contacts. Even when I got my MVS and all of the games I've gotten I always clean them off and they come out nice and play great. Just give them time to dry off and you're good to go.

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
I just use rubbing alcohol for cleaning the contacts, and Goo Gone to clean the labels.

For NES and SNES carts, I use a security bit and unscrew them. Opening the cart and using an old sock allows you to clean them out completely.

zinho

Kula's Candy
15 Year Member
Thanks guys. Some WD-40 worked great on carts and rubbing alcohol took care of some marker. I'm still trying to figure out what to use on the contacts, is 90+% rubbing alcohol too much? Guess I'll buy some of that electronics cleaner.

RadRacer73

n00b
if you can open carts ie nes snes sega use a staedtler mars plastic eraser on the contacts, you can get these at staples if not i use 60/40 alc/water the eraser works best though. ive opened and cleaned all my 750+ nes games with them.just my 2 cents:buttrock:

RadRacer73

n00b
if you can open carts ie nes snes sega use a staedtler mars plastic eraser on the contacts, you can get these at staples if not i use 60/40 alc/water the eraser works best though. ive opened and cleaned all my 750+ nes games with them.just my 2 cents:buttrock:

:hammer: also use caution with alc wd40 googone on tour lables it will leech around edges,eat the glue,make lables look like shit:very_ang:

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Maybe this thread should be moved in the 'general discussion' forum.
It's well neo-related after all .:)

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
It's like you all forgot what contact cleaner is. It's way better than rubbing alcohol at cleaning your carts, and it is pretty cheap to. If you want a super nice shine, use the old method Sega recommended back in the day for cleaning contact pins: an art gum eraser. Just rub it over the contacts and you'll be amazed at how clean they get. Compressed air and a nice wipe down with contact cleaner or an alcohol and water mixture will finish it up nicely... That is by far the nerdiest thing I've typed in like five years. I feel like taking a shower.