Comcast data capping at 1TB...

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Telecom companies are just out of control. I wish they could be forced to at least make up for screwing customers. If they cap data they should charge less.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
If you think that's bad, AT&T DSL (1.5 mbps to 6 mbps) is capped at 150 GB.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
For Comcast, it was 250GB. I think that was 9 or 10 years ago. I stopped monitoring our data use for a while.

For a while, though, they removed the cap for OR and some other places. I think I average below the 1TB cap, though, in any given month.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
That shit should be fucking criminal. There is absolutely no excuse for data capping. It costs them nothing and it's yet another excuse for them to not improve their infrastructure.

Thank fucking god Google's coming to this area. I greatly look forward to the day I can send TWC/Charter a cancellation letter and a picture of my middle finger.

geise

Mickey's Coach
That shit should be fucking criminal. There is absolutely no excuse for data capping. It costs them nothing and it's yet another excuse for them to not improve their infrastructure.

Thank fucking god Google's coming to this area. I greatly look forward to the day I can send TWC/Charter a cancellation letter and a picture of my middle finger.

Word! That shit is getting ridiculous. There is no excuse for data capping. With my newsgroup access I could do 1 TB of stuff within a couple weeks. Hell, look how large some games are now. I think FFX on steam is over 46Gb.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I was constantly hitting my data limits with a new 10gb patch for every installed game downloading automatically 4 times a month on every system I own and just some occasional video streaming.

My local internet company offers 200Mbps with supposedly unlimited cap now, used to be 250GB. I can't find in the fine print if they throttle or not and no one on the phone can ever answer a single question outside of 'when is my bill due?'

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
This is ridiculous I have optimum were I live and I don't know if they have a cap but what I do know is I'm paying about $180 a month. Might be that so many people are dropping the tv service and just getting the Internet so now they want to screw you over with a cap.

Most people may not be effected by the cap now but in a few years this might be a big deal.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I love how media makers are putting it in our mouths...and the ISPs are putting it our asses. The good old "wobbly H"...

Media makers are pushing everything to off site storage and streaming...meanwhile ISPs are cracking down on bandwidth use.

...and there we are...right in the middle of it.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Most people may not be effected by the cap now but in a few years this might be a big deal.

Exactly, games are getting bigger, patches more often, streaming services offering higher resolution. Every digital device these days connects to an online service or storefront.

geise

Mickey's Coach
Comcast knows all this. It's why they are putting the cap in to begin with. They want people to go over their limit. They charge a LOT extra for when you go over.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Exactly, games are getting bigger, patches more often, streaming services offering higher resolution. Every digital device these days connects to an online service or storefront.

Yup, I forgot which hitman game I downloaded a few days ago on the ps3 that was like 17gbs. People streaming 4k movies, that's probably like over 10gbs a movie. They see companies like vz wireless making money on overages and now everyone wants to jump on the same boat. I hear in Japan they get super fast fiber speeds and pay like 30 bucks a month.

Comcast knows all this. It's why they are putting the cap in to begin with. They want people to go over their limit. They charge a LOT extra for when you go over.

Exactly.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Yup, I forgot which hitman game I downloaded a few days ago on the ps3 that was like 17gbs. People streaming 4k movies, that's probably like over 10gbs a movie. They see companies like vz wireless making money on overages and now everyone wants to jump on the same boat. I hear in Japan they get super fast fiber speeds and pay like 30 bucks a month.

Exactly.

Yup...video streaming will be the next big killer. 4K is becoming more and more affordable and more and more available. My $900 LG set has built in Amazon, netflix, and Hulu. I crushed my 250Gb that month watching the 10 episode season of Man in the High Castle in one month (nothing big given it's 10 episodes).

Then there's 4K HDR:

http://www.techhive.com/article/306...t-data-caps-will-stifle-video-innovation.html

Fucking insanity...minimum DL speed of at lease 25 mbps and almost 12gb per show. That's just to watch a television show...

This is just a giant game, no different than the bullshit Verizon pulled years ago when they put a pathetic cap on data use...and then encouraged you to do every fucking thing under the son over their data service.

What a bunch of assholes.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I have no idea how many jiggabytes I use a month. How do you find out?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
This is why I don't own a PS4 or Xbone. Fuck those multi-gigabyte downloads for glorified interactive movies. I only play old games. Just because it's new, doesn't mean it's better.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
For real son. That new school shit isn't for me either.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
At least not till it gets old.:glee:

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler

They took a page right from banking 101

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
This is why I don't own a PS4 or Xbone. Fuck those multi-gigabyte downloads for glorified interactive movies. I only play old games. Just because it's new, doesn't mean it's better.

There are plenty of great new games out there. I understand we all have love for older stuff. But yeah, Dark souls is pretty amazing.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You gotta really be working hard to hit 1TB.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
The data cap is aimed solely at those who cut the cord but kept internet. I cut the cord and typically do in the 500-600 range and that is doing steady streaming on 2 devices from 6-11pm most nights. It's hard to hit 1tb. Can it be done sure it can.

These caps strictly bide time for Providers to work on alternate packages that will bring people back to their service.

If you're that in need of not having a cap just sign up for a business class package. You likely don't need a 50-75 meg connection. Tone it back to a 25meg and get the business class package and pay the same but have no cap.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I thought my 350GB cap sucked. A whole terabyte sounds down right amazing to me.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Third world shit. I think they're still trying to enforce this over here but haven't managed it yet with the monopolist Telekom here due to muh german bureaucracy. Vodafone does though.