CPS-3 Revival - An Experiment

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
So I'm wondering, with a dead CPS-3 cart, can one just simply decrypt the ROMs, reburn the ROM data to a CD, and have the system install decrypted ROM data to the CPS-3 board?

Or is there still other work that needs to be done to CPS-3 systems?

andy251203

Hardened Shock Trooper
I think the problem is that the real CPS3 boards wont run decrypted data. MAME can emulate it because the mame team found a way to get the bios to bypass the encryption checks. No one has yet figured out how to do this on the real board.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
taitai said:
So I'm wondering, with a dead CPS-3 cart, can one just simply decrypt the ROMs, reburn the ROM data to a CD, and have the system install decrypted ROM data to the CPS-3 board?

It's not the CD that's screwing us up, it's the security cart. After having installed a game from CD yesterday and having it take an hour... do you really want to do that every time you play a game, anyhow?

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
Spike Spiegel said:
It's not the CD that's screwing us up, it's the security cart. After having installed a game from CD yesterday and having it take an hour... do you really want to do that every time you play a game, anyhow?

I was under the impression that after the cart suicides, the data on the ROMs are still encrypted and still try to run? If they're unencrypted, what's stopping the game from running? The only problem I foresee is that the loader executable on the CD is going to run a checksum on each of the ROM files on the disc and it's going to come up wrong if the ROMs are modified. Which would mean just modifying the checksum the executable's got stored...

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
taitai said:
I was under the impression that after the cart suicides, the data on the ROMs are still encrypted and still try to run?

Trust me, that's not the case. When that cart suicides, everything stops. It goes to that first. I WISH I tried to still run, but it doesn't... from my experience.

demirichris

Hardened Shock Trooper
I find this quite interesting, I wonder if anyone is working on this right now. I hate owning cps3 hardware because of the suicide issue. If it could be modded to not suicide, that would be seriously killer.

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
15 Year Member
demirichris said:
I find this quite interesting, I wonder if anyone is working on this right now. I hate owning cps3 hardware because of the suicide issue. If it could be modded to not suicide, that would be seriously killer.

I have an English Third Strike with original battery. I don't think the cart has even been removed from the cage ever. I am terrified of it dying, and even more terrified of sending it out to be fixed.

EVIL NICK

ALL CAPS,
20 Year Member
I have at least 3 suicided US TS carts that are waiting for the moment someone figures out how to revive them. ;)