CPS1 driving me crazy

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Hi folks. I've received some cps1 games and a-boards for repair. Amongst them, a street fighter 2 world warrior that is driving me crazy.

The customer said "no audio", I found a broken chip and swapped for a good one. Audio came in. Ok, let's test it... game starts apparently ok, but when I coined it:
cps1streetfighter2ww1.jpgcps1streetfighter2ww2.jpgcps1streetfighter2ww3.jpg

some graphics are gone, and partly some backgrounds (just in the right part of the screen). In fact, the backgrounds are there but "hide" as I move the character.

Any ideas? I've tested the program roms, audio roms and PAL chips (still not the IO one). I'm afraid of testing the graphic proms, since it seems not compatible with 27c4096 as my programmer just read them full of FF(hex)

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
I must add that the Aboard I'm using is OK with a CaptainCommando.

In every scenario happens the same. Graphics are there but is like a layer makes it disappear in the right 1/3 of the screen.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
To read the graphics roms, put your eprom programmer setting on 27c4000.

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
thanks man but no luck. Same result, 98% of the file are FF and the 2% are random stuff repeated 10 or 15 times. It does not look like like hexadecimal data for graphics.

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
but I'm not sure if the problem is PROM related, since the graphic is there but get deleted as I move the character. It is more like buffer problem? or maybe C-board

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Capcom split graphics processing among all three boards. :rolleyes:

So it helps to know which board or boards in your stack are known good and not causing the problem.

Best boards to check with would be another SF2 board of same or similar build configuration.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Just remember that for CPS1, different games use the A board differently sometimes. So games will run fine on an A board that is bad with another game.

Asure

Captain Dick,
Layer enabling / layer control on cps1 is done mostly by the C board. Did you check with a known-good B21 C-Board yet?

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Layer enabling / layer control on cps1 is done mostly by the C board. Did you check with a known-good B21 C-Board yet?

I think he's working with a WW board.

WW never used a B-21 chip.

Asure

Captain Dick,
Ah. my bad. I used too much B21 based games over the last few months :0

Still, it would be good to check the C board to see if the chip needs some reflowing perhaps.

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Ok, tips very much appreciated. I'll let you know how it goes.

SF2 ww uses B-17 in fact. I transplanted the chips to another B board and nothing changed, so I'll focus on the C board.

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
As the customer have more C-boards, i'll send it back and he will try another one. Can't spend more time on this stuff.

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
LOL. They made everything against the technician. why? argh