Crackling sound on 1-slot MVS for most games

Karny

n00b
Hi all

The title of this pretty much says it all! :help:

I've recently bought a 1 slot MVS to put into my JAMMA cab and it works perfectly, except for the sound.

On all the games I've tested (except for my boot Puzzle Bobble) the sound is really "crackly" and horrible. It's terrible in some games and annoying in others... I don't know nearly enough about sound to comment, but it's as if certain "instruments" or "channels" are affected which is why there is the difference between games?

Any idea what is causing this or maybe how to fix it? :conf:

I could maybe try recording the sound if that would help?

Thanks!

PS. It's definitely the board. The games all sound fine in my 4-slot cab and JAMMA boards sound fine in the cab...

Here's a sample of the sound

Last edited:

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Clean the slot and the game... try again...

If that's not it then you are looking for damaged traces between the slot and the YM2610 chip. Not all of the sound ROM data is making it to the 2610, hence the screwed up sounds.

Karny

n00b
Thanks for the response channelmaniac! :buttrock:

I've tried cleaning everything and the results are the same (see first post for a sound sample).

It does seem like it's just the music... the sound effects seem to be ok.

Do you still think it's the same thing? That sounds beyond my abilities to repair :(

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If puzzle bobble sounds fine then I would guess one of the higher address lines is not connected.