CRT Fetish Thread

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
You need something to amplify it, so like computer speakers or run the audio to a receiver. If you hooked the RCA from the SCART breakout straight to speakers you'd get no real volume at all.

PC speakers are probably the easiest way to go. Just get one of these really cheap adapters to go from RCA to 3.5mm. I use these speakers and I'm pretty happy with them, although there are certainly much cheaper options in the $20-30 range too.

Last edited:

Ash Burton

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
So I won a bid that was relatively close to me...drove about 8 hours round trip

Lol, relative to Fargo? I am jealous though, I live in an affluent area just north of Miami and have been looking for one of these for over a year. Just snagged a Loewe for my old school games but would still love to have this for my PS3 and Blus. You cant beat the blacks and the color richness in this model, only the Kuro comes close and it still doesn't match it.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Lol, relative to Fargo? I am jealous though, I live in an affluent area just north of Miami and have been looking for one of these for over a year. Just snagged a Loewe for my old school games but would still love to have this for my PS3 and Blus. You cant beat the blacks and the color richness in this model, only the Kuro comes close and it still doesn't match it.

Yeah, the Minneapolis area is the nearest decently populated area. Close is a relative term when you live in the middle of nowhere :p Lol. It's definitely the CRT wasteland in ND. I would haunt Craigslist and eBay if I were you. I randomly was messing around on eBay and though it would be awesome to find one on there. I was shocked as hell it was close enough to actually drive to get it. I got lucky as hell especially considering where I live. I've seen a ton of super nice CRTs sell for next to nothing or not sell at all due to it being local pick up only.

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
Yeah, the Minneapolis area is the nearest decently populated area. Close is a relative term when you live in the middle of nowhere :p Lol. It's definitely the CRT wasteland in ND. I would haunt Craigslist and eBay if I were you. I randomly was messing around on eBay and though it would be awesome to find one on there. I was shocked as hell it was close enough to actually drive to get it. I got lucky as hell especially considering where I live. I've seen a ton of super nice CRTs sell for next to nothing or not sell at all due to it being local pick up only.

I'm in the minneapolis area and keep a fairly watchful eye on CRT's. If scheduling works out I'd be happy to pick something up you bought on eBay and hold it til you can make it out. Let me know.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
I'm in the minneapolis area and keep a fairly watchful eye on CRT's. If scheduling works out I'd be happy to pick something up you bought on eBay and hold it til you can make it out. Let me know.

Thanks a ton for offering! I'm definitely good to go for awhile now. I'm still not entirely done searching, but I had some unexpected car problems arise recently. That will be eating up my free money here for a decent chunk of time. I will definitely keep that in mind for the future and I greatly appreciate it!

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
This thread is awesome. I will post some pics of my recently purchased NEC Multisync XP 37 plus and Sony BVM D20f1u. There might also be a third or 4th monitor since there's a bunch of them in LA and I might buy one or two before I leave.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Asked what the difference was between the PVM-20M4A/U/E - Region, duh!

EDIT:
Scratch that, I must be blind. It's an Australian model...

Last edited:

Bancho

n00b
Picked up a PVM 20m4e for £35 the weekend. After sorting the geometry out (Damn service menu's) i got it looking sweet. Picture is sublime and i can see what the fuss is about with 800 TVL Screens. The JVC still gives it a run for its money mind. The Geometry on the JVC stomps on the Sony and the reds are slightly richer. Both screens are excellent though.

Little comparison of the Sony Vs JVC. Super Castlevania IV on a RGB Snes Mini.

Sony

IMG_6020.jpg

JVC

JVCCV.jpg

My Arsenal of screens, 14m2e, 20m4e and JVC BM-H2000PN-K. Total cost of that lot. £46. Bargain!

Displays.jpg

mookie3three

Mr. Big's Thug
Asked what the difference was between the PVM-20M4A/U/E - Region, duh!

EDIT:
Scratch that, I must be blind. It's an Australian model...

You thinking about getting one of the ones off eBay? Great monitors, expensive at $200. I paid $75 for mine last year.

PVM's seem to be going for a lot here at the moment, a 2950QM went for over $500, 6" and 9" going for $50. Think they are starting to get popular.

Last edited:

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Picked up a PVM 20m4e for £35 the weekend. After sorting the geometry out (Damn service menu's) i got it looking sweet. Picture is sublime and i can see what the fuss is about with 800 TVL Screens. The JVC still gives it a run for its money mind. The Geometry on the JVC stomps on the Sony and the reds are slightly richer. Both screens are excellent though.

Little comparison of the Sony Vs JVC. Super Castlevania IV on a RGB Snes Mini.

Sony

IMG_6020.jpg

JVC

JVCCV.jpg

My Arsenal of screens, 14m2e, 20m4e and JVC BM-H2000PN-K. Total cost of that lot. £46. Bargain!

Displays.jpg

I'm digging the Castlevania comparison pics! Makes me want to snag an RGB modded SNES mini even more. The "arsenal" pic is great. Cool to see some JVC love :)

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Someone posted some comparison shots between a standard SNES and an RGB modded Mini recently, and I could not really tell a difference.

I recently got this free from my in-laws. It was my wife's old system from when she was a kid. They still had in the basement in a room with no windows. That must have saved it from any yellowing. I'm just shocked how nice it cleaned up. I have a friend who is going to trade some stuff with me and I should be getting a mini out of it too. I will have to mod it and put some pics up. It would be interesting to see what the difference actually looks like in person. I know the RGB modded 1CHIP and RGB modded mini look almost exactly the same in the comparison pics I've seen. The original SNES through RGB seems to look the worst, but nearly all the pics I've seen are super close up to show the difference between the three. Makes me wonder if they look that much different in larger shots or in person, especially after hearing your opinion.

IMG_20150301_093350.jpg

IMG_20150301_093432.jpg

SNESVersionCompare09.jpg

QXC

n00b

That JVC is one of the rebranded panasonics, right? Or the panasonic was a rebranded JVC...

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
You thinking about getting one of the ones off eBay? Great monitors, expensive at $200. I paid $75 for mine last year.

PVM's seem to be going for a lot here at the moment, a 2950QM went for over $500, 6" and 9" going for $50. Think they are starting to get popular.

You caught me! Yeah I've really been looking for one of a decent size but it's slim pickings and when you do find them on eBay they aren't as cheap as I'd like considering the bargains people score on here. I think you're right about the popularity though.
I picked up the PVM-20M4A yesterday from the guy, paid too much as you know but I really wanted it. They're coming from a image/video editing company and from the sounds of it they have had fairly sheltered lives. Is there a way to find out the hours on these sets? Anyway I got him to test the display out with an SDI input and it's clear as day, no convergence or other obvious issues so I was pleased.

I'm in the process of making an RGBS BNC cable for my Neo (might have some shots for y'all tomorrow) but I got my Dreamcast hooked up via S-Video tonight and snapped some crappy shots!

029small.jpg030small.jpg036small.jpg040small.jpg044small.jpg

bbcorvette

n00b
This thread is awesome. I will post some pics of my recently purchased NEC Multisync XP 37 plus and Sony BVM D20f1u. There might also be a third or 4th monitor since there's a bunch of them in LA and I might buy one or two before I leave.

Where are you finding these in LA? I will be going to LA and would love to bring a NEC XP37 home with me to Louisiana! Thank you.

Bancho

n00b
I recently got this free from my in-laws. It was my wife's old system from when she was a kid. They still had in the basement in a room with no windows. That must have saved it from any yellowing. I'm just shocked how nice it cleaned up. I have a friend who is going to trade some stuff with me and I should be getting a mini out of it too. I will have to mod it and put some pics up. It would be interesting to see what the difference actually looks like in person. I know the RGB modded 1CHIP and RGB modded mini look almost exactly the same in the comparison pics I've seen. The original SNES through RGB seems to look the worst, but nearly all the pics I've seen are super close up to show the difference between the three. Makes me wonder if they look that much different in larger shots or in person, especially after hearing your opinion.

View attachment 23940

Damn that thing is clean!

Last edited:

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Anyone know anything about the Radius PressView 21 SR? It looks like a PC monitor, but it has actual RGB jacks in the back like this:

1100000045250-9-2.jpg

I assume that the sync rate won't work for what we want, but I thought I'd check just in case since I can get it very cheap.

QXC

n00b
Anyone know anything about the Radius PressView 21 SR? It looks like a PC monitor, but it has actual RGB jacks in the back like this:

View attachment 24002

I assume that the sync rate won't work for what we want, but I thought I'd check just in case since I can get it very cheap.

A number of PC monitors have RGB inputs but few if any scan down to 15hz (480i/240p). VGA cables send generic RGB+HV signals, so you just get a breakout cable and hook up your PC.

That said, a quick google shows that it was a very nice PC monitor when it was released. I can't find a manual with max res/refresh rates but it was used for color sensitive work back in the day. I'd pick it up for 'very cheap', if it were in good condition.

juci

n00b
i saw that the pvm 2950qm sold for over 500 on ebay, i feel sorry for whoever bought it i just gave away my 2750qm because i was so impressed with my 20l5 i wasnt going to use it again. i managed to get a 20l5 for less than 100 couriered and an amiga 1081 with scart input for 80 just around the corner, but all of a sudden the pvms and bvms are selling for a fortune. i wouldnt wanna pay 200 plus for a 20 inch unless it had really low hours.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
i saw that the pvm 2950qm sold for over 500 on ebay, i feel sorry for whoever bought it i just gave away my 2750qm because i was so impressed with my 20l5 i wasnt going to use it again. i managed to get a 20l5 for less than 100 couriered and an amiga 1081 with scart input for 80 just around the corner, but all of a sudden the pvms and bvms are selling for a fortune. i wouldnt wanna pay 200 plus for a 20 inch unless it had really low hours.

That 2950QM looked pretty clean, not $500 clean but very clean. Who knows? it might have been brand new with it's original box being included.