CRT Fetish Thread

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Any recommendations on a quality RGB to Component convertor? I have a friend questing for one, who hasn't had any luck sourcing an RGB monitor.

The $50 no name brand one that you can get on amazon or eBay is perfectly fine. You either need to buy a break out adapter or solder in audio out connectors to get sound out of it.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
If you are happy, you're happy, and that's all that really matters.

But you can likely get a good component in Sony trinitron TV for free via Craigslist, and that's likely a decent step up frrom what you have now, at least for 240p games. Now being able to haul the behemoth home is another matter. :)
What pisses me off is people are going crazy with these things. I've seen people ask for upwards of $200 for their best sonys. Its like imho fuck you. Its a 300 pound tv you should be paying me to remove this from your house. To charge me $200 and then make me move it is a joke. They just sit and sit and sit until they're like $20 and then someone comes and gets them. People need to get realistic. Theres a market for them but not a market to pay top dollar for them.

I really want a sony xbr40" with its stand. Everytime I find one someone wants around $500. I cant even believe the nerve.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
I just had to also build a cart/table/stand on wheels for my big ass heavy sony trinitron

t9enSA1KhkAtfduNTQsbCFt-eJM9RYqUtl8wVf6v635an88E5WA1TQ4PU-l7O8cn4QFcMr_u5NRVQ2THy_gKAX4Yx6D4os3EAYYaCcIwmVLQaY86NxLa1mwCeRcNzZRiHl6kqEf2k6xwQAPi8_OfBJQ-7KZ5KCSJnycmm8_NilaT0nuwMawCEJ9XNBxt33JHjuPSPYHkmCVIjXbMmYHLJCL_bI_qJ_SqFMcaHcCanTgHFxkGWRKHai2poxqmIirgBpx-7jvTfxzJMn90-8mhrCp1FNDpOZ6QCkDX2LqrNt94_dwTAoc72SVSBKhezIaVkeyp_Hh_TbdbQLZuFGMqj0zc21KJqL1eO7I-PNNLg7NEEkj0-7WtiLq2DRzEB6FSnNsIMeyHAFwYdsdnzVN9POfO1cbKVKfuoqHz1e6Gb5WCeF1ROsTbP7uPCrk9ur-dbuli3gXaFTW8aNITpLUtzcMkQtryGk3Ul09zLQKnKTQYC0_uE0NXGILNP6oPS-sHPpWhniauIxKeWx7R_lVRlyWPSgkb_eZJ6y8eWMdUAr9_g76rhsosTwOHrYlUIrtkIJVPqA=w600-h799-no

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I just had to also build a cart/table/stand on wheels for my big ass heavy sony trinitron

t9enSA1KhkAtfduNTQsbCFt-eJM9RYqUtl8wVf6v635an88E5WA1TQ4PU-l7O8cn4QFcMr_u5NRVQ2THy_gKAX4Yx6D4os3EAYYaCcIwmVLQaY86NxLa1mwCeRcNzZRiHl6kqEf2k6xwQAPi8_OfBJQ-7KZ5KCSJnycmm8_NilaT0nuwMawCEJ9XNBxt33JHjuPSPYHkmCVIjXbMmYHLJCL_bI_qJ_SqFMcaHcCanTgHFxkGWRKHai2poxqmIirgBpx-7jvTfxzJMn90-8mhrCp1FNDpOZ6QCkDX2LqrNt94_dwTAoc72SVSBKhezIaVkeyp_Hh_TbdbQLZuFGMqj0zc21KJqL1eO7I-PNNLg7NEEkj0-7WtiLq2DRzEB6FSnNsIMeyHAFwYdsdnzVN9POfO1cbKVKfuoqHz1e6Gb5WCeF1ROsTbP7uPCrk9ur-dbuli3gXaFTW8aNITpLUtzcMkQtryGk3Ul09zLQKnKTQYC0_uE0NXGILNP6oPS-sHPpWhniauIxKeWx7R_lVRlyWPSgkb_eZJ6y8eWMdUAr9_g76rhsosTwOHrYlUIrtkIJVPqA=w600-h799-no

Hot damn. How big is that screen?

I keep thinking of grabbing one off Craigslist for a spare. But my buddy had a 27" back in the day and the two of us could barely move it. I hate to try to move a 36" by myself.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder

I keep thinking of grabbing one off Craigslist for a spare. But my buddy had a 27" back in the day and the two of us could barely move it. I hate to try to move a 36" by myself.

Its only a 32"

Its still really heavy tho, Ive had 400lbs on the cart so the TV is no problem.

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
I pulled my PVM out of storage for some lag free gaming. Here's a short video I made to demonstrate the display lag of the PVM vs Framemeister and LCD TV. The Framemeister and HDTV have a total of about 3 frames of lag. https://youtu.be/86i8IbFMXc0

Last edited:

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict

That cart looks really nice. I don't know about a cart, but I need to get something decent to put my Megaview on. It's just been sitting on the floor in my attic for a year and a half now.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member

Looks awesome, are you just gluing and nailing or are the 2x4 studs slotted?

Damn, 27'' triniton was my main crt 'cause it was easy to ''tate'', then I got a 32''...no more tating and way too bulky awkward and heavy for a one man job...so I went 36'' wega...also wantto make a cart for it.

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I've been looking to upgrade from my PVM recently and I'm debating whether or not I should I go for a 19" PVM or a VGA CRT with an XRGB-2 plus. Ideally I'd like to go for a 19" PVM, but I haven't been able to find one locally in a long time and larger (meaning bigger than 14") VGA CRT monitors are a little easier to find where I am. Any thoughts?

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Some of those pc crt are quite nice. I have a 24 inch Sony. I might have posted pictures of it a couple of pages back but combined with the xrgb mini the picture quality was on par with that of my BVM. I never had any experience with the other xrgb devices but I imagine they will all work good. I can easily recommend a PC crt with an upscaler set up if you have easy and cheap access to said pc crt. Sure it might be more devices and cables but the quality can be on par or better compared to the nicest BVMs.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
You heard of any sd 36 inch wegas coming up lately in portland tacoguy? I can't seem to find one for the life of me.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Saw one a few weeks ago but it looks like its gone now.
The 36 and 40 inch models are a bit more uncommon but they do pop up from time to time.
I can keep an eye out for you.

Would be nice to rgb mod those big suckers.
Too bad I'm not skilled with tv's.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
A Scart to component converter vs rgb modding a wega is not going to look any different. It's not as if modding it will add 300 lines of resolution to the TV, it's just gonna let you plug the scart cable right into the TV. The hype over needing RGB is getting out of hand.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
A Scart to component converter vs rgb modding a wega is not going to look any different. It's not as if modding it will add 300 lines of resolution to the TV, it's just gonna let you plug the scart cable right into the TV. The hype over needing RGB is getting out of hand.

Correct. I have CSY-2100 RGB Scart to Component converter that I picked up for about $100 aussie dollars. If that isn't cabinet monitor quality I don't know what is, though it wont turn your tv into a PVM and neither will doing extensive modifications to your set.

I recently acquired the gargantuan Mitsubishi AM-4201R. I've been lurking here forever so I figured I'd finally post something again.
This monitor is amazing, bigass scanlines, takes almost any signal you throw at it, will go all the way up to 1280x1024 and possibly a little bit higher.
Only thing is it's a bitch about sync so if you don't have C-Sync cables you're screwed. It doesn't even like Sync on Luma.
Claims it's only 600 lines in the few pieces of info I can find about it, but honestly it really looks higher than that.
Here's some generic games to show it off. Excuse my messy af room setup (and that piece of shit scart switcher I'm replacing soon).
IMAG0535[1].jpg
IMAG0543[1].jpg
IMAG0545[1].jpg
IMAG0546[1].jpg
IMAG0552[1].jpg

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I recently acquired the gargantuan Mitsubishi AM-4201R. I've been lurking here forever so I figured I'd finally post something again.
This monitor is amazing, bigass scanlines, takes almost any signal you throw at it, will go all the way up to 1280x1024 and possibly a little bit higher.
Only thing is it's a bitch about sync so if you don't have C-Sync cables you're screwed. It doesn't even like Sync on Luma.
Claims it's only 600 lines in the few pieces of info I can find about it, but honestly it really looks higher than that.
Here's some generic games to show it off. Excuse my messy af room setup (and that piece of shit scart switcher I'm replacing soon).
View attachment 33175
View attachment 33176
View attachment 33177
View attachment 33178
View attachment 33179

Looks nice. No purple corners yet either. Enjoy it!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've been looking to upgrade from my PVM recently and I'm debating whether or not I should I go for a 19" PVM or a VGA CRT with an XRGB-2 plus. Ideally I'd like to go for a 19" PVM, but I haven't been able to find one locally in a long time and larger (meaning bigger than 14") VGA CRT monitors are a little easier to find where I am. Any thoughts?

I've had a 20" PVM for a while now, and just recently found a 21" Trinitron VGA monitor that I plugged a XRGB2 to. Really it's kind of a toss up, they're both excellent and there are some finer points with either monitor. The colors on the PVM look a bit better, while the sharpness is higher on the VGA. The geometry of the VGA monitor is damn near perfect and easily adjustable, while the PVM would require me to take it apart to adjust pots, which I'm not doing. The PVM is much better at brightness and contrast than the monitor, although the XRGB's settings can correct this to some extent. The non-RGB inputs on the PVM look much better than the composite and svideo on the XRGB2 by a long shot.

If I had to choose one, I'm undecided. I have thought about putting the PVM in storage and using the VGA monitor, but I dunno... I currently have it on my workbench with a Raspberry Pi hooked up to it for use as a emu machine and internet workstation.

*edit* Actually just thought of something. The XRGB2 does have a little bit of what I think is a sync issue, the screen gets some minor squigglies. I might not notice it if this monitor weren't so sharp, but it's there and it does it with a few different sources. It's not the monitor since it doesn't do it with straight VGA. It may be a setup issue though, I haven't spent a lot of time dialing in the XRGB.

Last edited:

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
Top old skool CRT's guys...i just sold my Bravia (for games room)..& soon to be re-instating my old trusty Sony 28" Flat Trinitron....for the Neo of course.