CRT Fetish Thread

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
You two using Scart to BNC cables with your pvm's?

Could be a faulty cable causing this issue.

If it comes and goes, I would look at that.

Or hook up a regular composite or svideo cable from your console and see if it still occurs. If it doesn't, then look at the cabling.

I was using a Scart to BNC breakout but since yesterday I have switched to running the RGB through RCA cables via the scart switchbox hack I posted. I have been using the BVM quite a bit this weekend for gaming, movies and tv and so far have not run into the issue. Could well have been the cabling since as I mentioned I wasn't too happy with the Scart breakout lead I got but need to do more testing to be a 100% sure.

Last edited:

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I love the industrial design of the PVM / BVM but in all honesty a higher end consumer CRT TV with RGB is usually in much better shape and offers a whole lot more features.

As a sidenote, in terms of current availability of new RGB enabled CRT TV's I found some new old stock Disney models:keke:

View attachment 16712

These are all 14" models with RGB Scart connector on the back, the Jack Sparrow one also has a built in DVD player. Price is c.a. 70USD per unit. With this design no wonder they didn't sell :thevt: but you can actually take most of the Disney crap off leaving one with pretty much a standard looking TV (save for the pastel colour exterior).

I have this tv but no SCART :(

marcio1986

Cheng's Errand Boy
I've been with this Toshiba CRT since 99 and it never failed me once, even now when Atro showed me the real way to enjoy Neo Geo, this baby just gives a beatiful RGB clean and colorful image. I Love this TV.

toshiba_zpsf83297b7.jpg
toshiba2_zps679cf170.jpg

Nyder

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I've been with this Toshiba CRT since 99 and it never failed me once, even now when Atro showed me the real way to enjoy Neo Geo, this baby just gives a beatiful RGB clean and colorful image. I Love this TV.

toshiba_zpsf83297b7.jpg
toshiba2_zps679cf170.jpg

Over here finding a RGB TV with SCART like your toshiba is just a dream.
I had to bust my ass to get PVM's then get crazy cables and what not.

But it was all worth it, I'm still amazed how beautiful the picture is, I can barely play the games haha

Nyd

marcio1986

Cheng's Errand Boy
One of the small pros of living in Europe I guess :) But yeah when I boot up a NG MVS game I still sit there watching that great image for a few seconds instead of playing the game. :D

mookie3three

Mr. Big's Thug
Picked this badboy up tonight PVM-20M4A. Playing the Neo in composite for now. Need to get a scart to bnc at some point. Will try component on it through my scart to component tomorrow. Am stoked!!!

2lmlxtj.jpg

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
View attachment 16825

"On top of Mount Soooooonyyyyy..."

1) this is fuckin' a brilliant. Needs a sega tower of add ons next to it.

2) I *loved* my GX. A damn shame they never updated the motif to a 19 or 27 display, and s-vid &/or component.

Anyone have any idea if a KR, JP, or EU rev of the GX•TV ever shipped? Dat TV, w/ a 21-pin socket...oh lord.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Picked up a PVM-1910 the week for $20. The picture is really nice, but I'm having some issues with pincushioning and tilt. The sides aren't 100% straight and I've been trying to fix that. The first problem is that all the adjusts are inside so I have to crack open the case to get to anything. The second problem is that the adjusts are in random spots on the two circuit boards and not all of them are labeled. Is anyone familiar with this model and where the adjusts I need are? I've corrected some of the picture through trial and error, but I'm afraid to play with unlabeled adjusts.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
When should I recap my 25" PVM? I notice sometimes it looks like it's doing an automatic degauss unless that's from power surges or something.

Kokonoe

n00b
Is it possible to use PVMs on PCs? I purchased this DVI-A BNC cable and i notice the screen going insane, and honestly when I start tweaking things in Nvidia Control Panel it ends up doing odd things to my computer.

GMjPUg0.jpg

Haven't been able to get this to work.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Basically, no. Most PVMs only sync to 240p (or 480i), and your computer will output at LEAST 480p in most circumstances. The only way I've used a PC on a PVM is with an s-video cable from my old laptop that had s-video out. If you have a PVM 20L5 it might work then, since that does higher resolutions than the older PVMs.

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
If you have a PVM 20L5 it might work then, since that does higher resolutions than the older PVMs.

Confirmed (640x480~1920x1080) with one exception.... The L5's want csync, not hsync and vsync like most pc cards output.
As broken pointed out in an earlier post, its not simply a matter of mixing them together. The polarity must be different as well.

I did mix them directly as a test, and yes it did sync, it had some nasty noise however which I believe is bad for the crt chassis.

I've been told AIT cards with calamity's hacked driver output proper csync on both pins 13 and 14 (h / v) of the dsub port. I can't confirm this to be true (I use nvidia cards for shield streaming).

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Word.

There are circuits and devices that can combine the sync signals properly. You might even be able to do it with an extron ss200 since it allows output of RGBS or RGBHV from an input of RGBS, RGBHV, or RGsB.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Is there anything odd about the way the Neo Geo MVS displays an RGB image? On my PVM the image from all my other systems never quite fills the screen, which is good because some systems are a little off center in one way or another (left/right or up/down). However the Neo Geo seems to not only fill the entire screen, but it's actually a bit cutoff on the sides (not enough to matter, but it's there). I'm just curious as to why.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
The tower in action.

Hahaha Awesome.

Is there anything odd about the way the Neo Geo MVS displays an RGB image? On my PVM the image from all my other systems never quite fills the screen, which is good because some systems are a little off center in one way or another (left/right or up/down). However the Neo Geo seems to not only fill the entire screen, but it's actually a bit cutoff on the sides (not enough to matter, but it's there). I'm just curious as to why.

Yeah it's going to slightly vary from console to console depending on resolution and refresh.

Nothing to be too concerned about.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
What's the consensus on filling the screen vs leaving a bit of border? Many of the screenshots here look like they're going all the way to the edge, which will lead to some part of the screen being cut off on different systems. I guess it's personal preference but I wonder if I should fill the screen or not.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
What's the consensus on filling the screen vs leaving a bit of border? Many of the screenshots here look like they're going all the way to the edge, which will lead to some part of the screen being cut off on different systems. I guess it's personal preference but I wonder if I should fill the screen or not.
Personally, I like to adjust it so there's no cutoff, so that you can see the whole picture. The Neo is a 4:3 system, so there shouldn't be too much blank area when you've adjusted it.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I wish there was an easy way to adjust the width and height, but you have to crack open the case to get to those adjusts on my PVM. Even then it's a bit tricky.

BTW my spare Sony PVM-1943MD is for sale if someone is interested.

Last edited:

XC-3730C

War Room Troll
Here is an original XBOX (not 360 or One) running with a modified HD pack, outputting SCART RGB (just a link, since people have complained about picture size on here):

http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/arb2261977/media/20140724_184945-1_zps08okvegw.jpg.html

Last edited:
I am running into pretty much the same issue and so far have not managed to find / work out a solution. The main problem is that its very difficult to diagnose, since its not a permanent state but in my case it only happens occasionally and pretty briefly. From a common sense point of view it would seem that one of the colour signals is getting amplified more than the other two thus making the picture overexposed in that colour. Let me know should you work out what the problem is.

You two using Scart to BNC cables with your pvm's?

Could be a faulty cable causing this issue.

If it comes and goes, I would look at that.

Or hook up a regular composite or svideo cable from your console and see if it still occurs. If it doesn't, then look at the cabling.

S-video and composite all check out fine, look really good and don't have the issue after a few minutes of gameplay on each. For whatever reason when I tried RGB the yellowish tint was there from the start and It seems to stay that way, looks like it just needs a calibration.