Darkstalkers US Cab?

MysticJoJo

Overtop Pathfinder
Alright, so for all of 75 dollars I purchased about the worst cab I've ever seen--Sammy's Turkey Hunting USA. The cab's kit was applied by a monkey and it seems like it's been left in a bar for years without ever actually being played. The net result is a number of issues in a cabinet with a game I didn't really care to have in the first place. For one, the PCB was mounted directly under where there was apparently supposed to be some kind of rubber gasket between the control panel and the bezel, and a single errant drink spill would have ended everything. the stickers on the side were bubbled all to hell and the marquee had cracked in half, curled up and yellowed. Worst of all was this ridiculous screen burn that let you see the default high score table when the monitor was off. Obviously, this machine needs to be completely restored, and I thought it sounded like fun, particularly if I was able to make it into one of my favorite games. I decided that Darkstalkers would be a good choice, preferably Vampire Hunter 2 or Vampire Savior 2. Thanks to the design of the cabinet, the control panel is easy to construct, it's a simple flat one so I was able to use drilled MDF and plexiglass to make a new one. The problem is that there doesn't seem to be much in the way of a US Darkstalkers cabinet, for any of the series. I've seen the marquee, and know that the move strips exist, but that marquee is one of the most boring I've seen and doesn't make for an entire cab. Resurrection on the PS3/360 had a series of custom skins, but the assets aren't high-enough resolution to send to the printers for the side art. For that matter, the art with the highest DPI that I've come across is the marketing art for resurrection.

I suppose the question is this, and I wanted to direct it at this forum in particular as you seem to be mostly arcade purists. When there's no "official" US cab for a game, how much custom work can you really create for it to still remain acceptable? I've been working on creating an updated version of the CPS2 control panel incorporating the resurrection art. Here's what I've got thus far:

arcadepanel_zps516c5b5c.png

Though obviously mine's in 300 DPI and doesn't have the little stick and button placeholder graphics. What do you think, a good enough update for a darkstalkers cab, or is there anything that should be changed to make it more "authentic"?

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
I like the graphical overlays, but I dunno about the characters underneath. I get it as sort of a play on older SFII cabinets, but maybe it'd be better to have something more graphic?

2056148-dscombo_cvrs.jpg

Something like this, maybe? Try the overlay on that, see how busy it is. Even if you can't print it at 300DPI, it might upscale okay.

Also, are you hell bent on Happ style controls?

MysticJoJo

Overtop Pathfinder
There's no version of that I can find that's anywhere near a high enough res to look good upscaled at ~26 inches, otherwise I'd want something like that for my marquee. And yeah, I already have the control panel drilled with the controls in it.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
The black/yellow labels remind me of that cartoon "reboot" lol. Vampire Savior is an awesome game, i havent played that game in years. What do you plan to do with the orginal arcade board?
Can we get some pics of the cab?